Shithousery

6 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

I just felt sad about it, even at 1-1

its just not the same game now

still great but less great

In the 60s, 70s ,80s getting the ball in the corner or kicking the sh!t out of the opposition (without a yellow card insight) was used in the same manner as diving, etc nowadays 

Was horrible to go through. Worked on us and we couldn’t get any rhythm and everything was rushed by both teams. Only two or three quality deliveries all game and two ended up in the net. Alex Neil is a gremlin and it started in the first leg when ONein tried to put Bannan back on the injury list. 

I accept no one minds when it works for your team but if Wycombe score first and do it at Wembley watch them cry about it 

• Like 1

The manager needs to fire our players up for games like this. Bet your arse Alex Neil will have. Each player knew their job and tactics. I wonder if it's even been mentioned in our dressing room in the days prior to the 2nd leg. Players are usually always a reflection of their managers attitude. I'm not talking about cheating and rolling around, but being fired up and ready for a battle. We didn;t seem like we were, not for the first time this season. 

I think its just as dissapointing that it always seems to happen against us. If these are the tactics that give you the fine margins to get you over the line, then why cant employ the same tactics for a change? Either Wycombe or Sunderland are going to get promoted this season, not one of their fans will give a damn about how they acheived it at the end of the Wembley final.

15 minutes ago, marshy said:

The manager needs to fire our players up for games like this. Bet your arse Alex Neil will have. Each player knew their job and tactics. I wonder if it's even been mentioned in our dressing room in the days prior to the 2nd leg. Players are usually always a reflection of their managers attitude. I'm not talking about cheating and rolling around, but being fired up and ready for a battle. We didn;t seem like we were, not for the first time this season. 

It’s a fair point, but you have to take the rough with the smooth. We’re not a battling side under Moore we’re a footballing side. It’s why we’ve come unstuck against physical in-your-face teams especially away from home but it’s also why we’ve been a pleasure to watch and scored some brilliant goals.

Similar things were said about our great teams under Atkinson/Francis. I remember the hammering by Cambridge in the cup and some miserable defeats to Wimbledon for example, where our skilled footballers basically got bullied. 

I doubt Sunderland under Neil or Wycombe under Ainsworth have been a pleasure to watch, but on the flip side they’re at Wembley and we’re not. Depends why you watch football I guess - to win or to be entertained 

Edited by paulrs

33 minutes ago, paulrs said:

I doubt Sunderland under Neil or Wycombe under Ainsworth have been a pleasure to watch, but on the flip side they’re at Wembley and we’re not. Depends why you watch football I guess - to win or to be entertained 

It's not a binary choice you can play winning, entertaining football it's just much more difficult at the pub league level.

To be fair, if we take the game to them and get up them in the first 10 minutes and put them right under pressure things could have been different. But they started much better, controlled the game and we didn't lay a glove on them for about half an hour. We needed to start fast to nip the time wasting in the bud, and we didn't. 

2 hours ago, GMOwl72 said:

not so sure it’s would be a direct fix. 

teams shithouse to try and waste time yes but they also do it interupt and break up play, to slow things down. A 60 minute clock wouldn’t affect this.

They do, but mainly it's to keep the ball out of play for as long as humanly possible so that they can play for a point or hang on to a goal lead. They also know that it hugely frustrates the opponents, so if the clock stopped whenever the ball went out there'd be no point in time wasting and we'd see a huge reduction in it - also the opponents wouldn't get so wound up by it because they know it isn't affecting how long of the game is left to play.

We've got to be smarter when dealing with this sort of thing. 

It drives me nuts, but let's not go all Jurgen Klopp and start demanding that teams let us beat them. 

If we are as good as we think we are, then we should be able to find a way to counter these sort of tactics. 

Too often we fall into the trap and end up playing their game. 

Its all well and good adding time on but if there's 80 minutes on the big screen in the corner you know you've got ten minutes (plus added time) left, when the big screen in the corner ticks on to 85 minutes you know you've got five minutes left.

When the screen ticks onto 90 minutes it stops.

The team with the advantage just has to continue being resolute and not concede, the team who needs to change the game starts to rush things, anxiety and impatience grows in the crowd, players make stupid choices predicated on the need to make things happen NOW.

Ten minutes added on is psychologically not the same as ten minutes left in normal time and we don't seem to have the players required to be able to handle it. In that way time wasting is ridiculously effective against us (and many other teams).

9 hours ago, alanharper said:

It's time to make football a 60 minute game, and stop the clock every time the ball goes out of play. Games would still finish around the same time, but these shithousing cheats would soon stop their embarrassing antics if it means they're getting no advantage. 

Agree completely with the clock stopping whenever the ball is dead, have been saying it for years. However, I think the game should stay at 90 minutes. I'd like to actually see 90 mins of football.

10 hours ago, ANDY said:

Sunderland took a leaf out of the Wycombe book of shît housing tonight. Typical Alex Neil. 

why can’t we ever get on top of these type of teams

Because we never score early enough... Under Moore we're more concerned about conceding..... Score early.... It stops all of it....... Simple init

9 hours ago, owls maniac said:

The time wasting is getting worse in football generally. Authorities need to find a way to address it before the game becomes unwatchable.

It already is, as far as I'm concerned. 

Perhaps apathy from fans is part of the problem too....

9 hours ago, owls maniac said:

The time wasting is getting worse in football generally. Authorities need to find a way to address it before the game becomes unwatchable.

They have two little cards in their pocket. They use the yellow one first, then the red.

Carnage for a few weeks then they all realise they can't do it.