Paterson: 5.4

Berahino: 5.1

Gregory: 7.2

Luongo: 6.4

Dunkley: 5.4

Kamberi: 5.9

Voting closes tomorrow night.

• Thanks 3

I went for Hunt, he was getting in behind them and creating holding opportunities in first 15 minutes it should have been 2/3-0. 

Could just as easily have gone for 4/5 others. NML, Palmer, Johnson, Byers all played well.

Upsetting to see Bannan off his game after such a good showing previous week. I can’t  help thinking if we’d have been 2/3 up as we should have been he’d have been given a bit of a rest. Paterson looked off it by miles, glad we have others to come in for him. 

4 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Berahino: 4 - Awful miss, but why is his confidence so fragile? All strikers miss chances, he's played international football and in the Premier League, but he seemed to let it linger, refused to take on shots in the second half, fluffed nearly everything afterwards.

Forwards need sharpness from consistent minutes played to be at their best, Moore's really messed him around the last few games since his hattrick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Strange game we missed 5 great chances, but I don't think we played that well.

At the end of the day this was the sort of game where you have to dig in and grind out a win, which we did.

Byers MoM.

BPF.                   7

Palmer.              7

Storey.               7

Johnson.           7

NML.                 6.5

Bannan.            5.5

Patterson.         5

Byers.                7.5

Hunt.                  5.5

Gregory.              7

Berahino.            4.5

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Strange game we missed 5 great chances, but I don't think we played that well.

At the end of the day this was the sort of game where you have to dig in and grind out a win, which we did.

Byers MoM.

BPF.                   7

Palmer.              7

Storey.               7

Johnson.           7

NML.                 6.5

Bannan.            5.5

Patterson.         5

Byers.                7.5

Hunt.                  5.5

Gregory.              7

Berahino.            4.5

The first 20 minutes was attack v defence. We destroyed them. I don’t think we could have played any better. We were Tiger Woods tee to green, but we were  Blind Bartimaeus putting.

The movement of Gregory and Berahino was outstanding for those 20 minutes, but after the 3 first half open goals they combined to fluff our confidence throughout the team looked fragile.

As you say, we ground it out though, unlike Rotherham, Wigan and the Dons for example. In a 46 game season you need your 1-0 grinders and your 6-0 mullers.

• Like 1

BPF -7 didnt have much to do but looked competent

Palmer -7 improved on his last game and made some decent runs, carried the ball well

Storey -7 almost got done for pace again, recovered just in the nick of time, looked the better of the cbs

Johnson -6 distribution and possession errors, him and NML got under one anothers feet at times, looked better outwide

Hunt -6 really lost his mojo the last 4 games, hes barely got into any of the games

NML -6 mixed bag really

Bannan -6 his passing was way off constantly gave the ball away or got caught in possession

Byers -8 the better of the mf players, industrious and worked hard to find space, used the ball well

Paterson -6 not really his position, did a job. but missed a good chance

Berahino -6 fluffed our 1st big chance, misjudged the bounce, worked tirelessly at closing down and some decent approach play

Gregory -7 another hard working show but struggled to carve out any clear cut chance

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Paul.. said:

Forwards need sharpness from consistent minutes played to be at their best, Moore's really messed him around the last few games since his hattrick.

Moore has got more football and more goals out of Berahino than any manager for the last 7 years.

I think we saw last night why he hasn’t started games Saturday followed by Tuesday that often this season, he doesn’t look fit enough to start 2 games in 3 or 4 days.

After the way he played last night I wouldn’t really want to start him at Wycombe but we don’t have many good options to take his place 

• Like 1

BPF - 7 Didn't have much to do. 

Hunt - 6 Offered virtually nothing (other than putting it on a plate for SB) and nearly let them in with that poor back pass.

Storey - 8 My MOTM. Just did his job very effectively.

Palmer - 7 Put in a couple of crap crosses first half but defended well and tried to drive forward.

Johnson - 7 Thought he did quite well and we looked far more threatening down his side. Not sure it worked with NML as they were in eachothers space.

Byers - 7 Thought he had an excellent second half.

Bannan - 5 Had an amazing first 5 minutes and then lost his confidence. One of the worst performances he's put in this year.

Paterson - 5 Never been a midfieldier and missed a sitter.

NML - 7 Was a constant threat but his final ball and touch let him down a fair few times. Did well for the Pen so gets a 7.

Berahino - 5 Missed 2 sitters and thought he struggled thorughout.

Gregory - 6.5 Great pen but didn't think he offered much else tonight.

Subs

Luongo - 5 Looked a little off the pace.

Kamberi - 5 Should have scored.

Dunkley - 4 Missed every header and looked shaky.

BPF     -    7

Palmer    -    6

Storey     -    7

Johnson     -     6.5

Hunt    -    6

Bannan    -    6

Byers    -    7

Paterson     -    4

NML    -    6.5

Gregory    -     6.5

Berahino    -    4

Dunkley     -    5

Kamberi    -    5

Luongo    -    5

Peacock-Farrell - 7 - One regulation save. Very assured from the few crosses he had to deal with. Cool on the ball. A very assured, if reasonably quiet display.

Palmer - 7 - Didn't do anything out of the ordinary, but did a steady job in a backline that kept a valuable clean sheet

Storey - 8 - Very close to Man of the Match. Made a couple of crucial headers, one particularly important tackle when Long got clean through for Crewe in the 1st half, and got Hunt out of jail following a loose pass at 1-0.

Johnson - 8 - Man of the Match - Despite a change in role, I thought he was exceptional again. What an athlete. Covered so much ground, and dealt with everything from a defensive point of view, as well as providing much needed width out on the left flank, given NML's tendency to want to play narrower and cut inside.

Hunt - 6 - Quiet game last night, and I was surprised he wasn't given a rest at some point. Hope the games aren't catching up with him. Very fortunate to be spared any blushes by Storey, following a really sloppy piece of play in the 2nd half.

NML - 7 - Frustrated me in the 1st half, with the desire to cut inside onto the right foot. Much better in the 2nd half, and did well to earn the crucial penalty. Just think we lack balance when he plays on the left hand side, and I'm not convinced we were any more of an effective attacking outfit, trying to squeeze he, Hunt and Johnson into the same side.

Byers - 6 - Surprised by the plaudits for him tbh. Commented on the 40 minute mark how the game had seemed to bypass him by, and although he improved at the start of the 2nd half, for the last 15 minutes we seemed to lose total control in the centre of park (which resulted in Luongo hairing about giving silly fouls away on a regular basis)

Bannan - 6 - Struggled tonight after a bright 1st 10 minutes. Suffered having to play deep due to Paterson's bizarre selection as No. 10. He oftens stands out even when having a relatively poor game, but I thought he looked off the pace, and his range of passing never seemed to find any consistency last night. Still worked hard, and perhaps the volume of games and minutes caught up with him last night...fingers crossed a couple of days rest, will ensure he's back at it for a crucial game on Saturday.

Paterson - 5 - Bizarre team selection. I'm not sure what Moore sees in Paterson that makes him even consider playing him as a No.10...he constantly seemed to find himself in No Man's Land in the 1st half, and he just looked baffled as to how he could get in the game. Baffled how he managed to stay on for 90 minutes, but I suppose, the positive side to it is, we won the game, rested Gregory for 20 minutes, and gave FDB and Luongo another games rest.

Berahino - 5 - We saw the Goal of the Season from Bannan on Saturday, and Miss of the Season last night. Unbelievable miss. Snatched at another glorious opportunity 2 minutes after the sitter, and seemed to struggle to settle into the game from that point.

Gregory - 8 - Thought he was on it from the 1st minute last night. His touch was immaculate, strong, willing runs, stretched Crewe on a couple of occasions, and stood up, under huge pressure, and kept his cool to earn us the win.

Luongo - 6 - Struggled when he came on, Thought we'd take the game by the scruff of the neck with his arrival, but in fact, we looked stretched at times (thankfully Crewe were frankly, hopeless). Fortunate not to get booked for a really poor tackle, before picking up his yellow card. 

Kamberi - N/A - Looked very bright. Unlucky not to score.

Dunkley - N/A - Couple of rash decisions

Overall...

First 10 minutes was fantastic. Full of energy, positivity and the game should've been won inside 6 minutes. 

But, as the half went on, we seemed to lose that intensity, and Crewe began to look more and more difficult to break down (after initially looking like we'd score with every attack early on). However, we kept plugging away, and we got the breakthrough, and although I felt we lacked a serious amount of belief late on (sending Dunkley back for a corner late on against already relegated, bottom of the league, hardly spells self-belief does it!).

Before the game, we'd have all took a scrappy 1-0 win...and that's exactly what we got. The those three points that matter....we need need to emulate that on three more occasions....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I went for Berinhio with 8. Byers gets 8 to. Given mom to Berinhio as he just needs that bit of confidence and he could be just the big game player we need to hold his head in play offs and get some really important goals for us. I think his work rate and general attitude to working for the team has been a huge turnround. The rest of the team seems to be appreciating his efforts much more. 

Byers was brilliant all game. He getting back to his best after that niggle that kept him out a few weeks ago for a game. 

7 for everyone else apart from nml who gets 7.5 for a much improved performance from his out of position appearances recently after injury. 

Should have won by more. But avoid the potential banana skins at this stage of the season and 3 points is everything. 

Other results were quite good for us. Our fate is still all in our own hands. We can't ask for anything more after the mediocre first half of the season. 

Well done DM. Keep it up. Glad to see Luongo back. Hopefully rest will be good for him coming into final few games. 

Close decision between Storey and Byers.

I like it when a team has different options, so I thought it was a decent plan to move Bannan back, put Patto at 10, and look to get onto long curving crosses.

If Berahino had put in the first easy chance (created from a Hollywood ball by Bannan) we would have scored seven.

• Like 1

Looked like the team were hung over from the win at MKD.

Having said that, the opposition were restricted to one goal attempt (which was on target).

Oddly, Crewe looked a decent side after they conceded the penalty whereas up until that point, they were very poor. Makes me wonder why managers would ever send their team across the line to play for a draw right at the outset.

MoM for me was Byers... did a lot of the breaking up play stuff and put in a real shift all over the pitch.

Thanks to the 18 of you that voted. Final scores are:

SWFC vs Crewe, 19th April 2022

Peacock-Farrell: 7.1

Palmer: 6.9

Storey: 6.9

Johnson: 6.6

Hunt: 6.1

Mendez-Laing: 6.5

Byers: 7.3 - MoM

Bannan: 5.7

Paterson: 5.4

Berahino: 5.1