Bolton - Wednesday - OMDT

19 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Except of course  it's not having solved on the training ground a problem we've had all season.

Still the players that need to take that work to the field. If they are losing concentration, losing their men, not putting their heads in then again its down to the players. 

4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It is though, isn't it. 

When you are 1-0 up, 4 points clear of 7th - and you manage to blow it and end up 0 points clear of 7th - then yeah, it is a disaster of a result. 

Nope, because you’re in the playoffs after a difficult away game

It only feels like a disaster in the context of the game, but not in context of the season

• Like 2

Just now, OohhJohnnyJohnny said:

Can’t see us doing it now, our away forms costing us massively, and with 3 out of 5 away I’m not confident. 

Well, there is nothing to suggest we are suddenly going to start wracking up away win after away win is there. 

We've failed to do it all season and are now hoping to do it against MK and Wycombe. 

• Like 1

Although I’m cheesed off with the manner of it the actual result isn’t too much of a disaster IMO. Conceding goals from corners and not finishing teams off is why we are where we are and not chasing a top two place. The fact is we are still fifth and everything is still in our own hands. Todays result neither set us back or moved us forward. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, smhouston said:

Not good enough for the playoffs

9 minutes ago, 1963owl said:

Don’t talk daft

Tend to agree with Houston, don’t see what’s daft about it at all.  It will be tight and I don’t believe this team are good enough to perform under pressure.  Assuming we make top 6 then I’ve no faith in this team’s ability to perform consistently over 3 games when it counts.  Ability wise we would be fine but I question their mental toughness and still have doubts about the manager.

At the end of last season I would have taken a mid table finish this time around.  Having now seen the quality of this league (poor) set against the squad of player at Moore’s disposal (dread to think what our wage bill is) then I feel anything less than promotion will be  abject failure.  We go again!!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

What is it about drawing against a midtable club with their best players out that leads you to think that we're going to do well in the playoffs?

Get your blue goggles off.

Idve taken a point before kick off . Rubbish time to concede but no need for you to shityasen

Just now, CircleSeven said:

Although I’m cheesed off with the manner of it the actual result isn’t too much of a disaster IMO. Conceding goals from corners and not finishing teams off is why we are where we are and not chasing a top two place. The fact is we are still fifth and everything is still in our own hands. Todays result neither set us back or moved us forward. 

It did set us back, we go to MK dons next week, can you see us getting anything there? We could well be 7th come next Saturday.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OohhJohnnyJohnny said:

It did set us back, we go to MK dons next week, can you see us getting anything there? We could well be 7th come next Saturday.

I can certainly see us getting a point. They are going for automatic so will be under pressure also.

Just now, OohhJohnnyJohnny said:

Might be 7th before we have even kicked off against what is the 2nd best team in the league atm. 

Not ideal is it. 

Wycombe have a tough game on the Friday against Plymouth, so we will see what happens there. 

Put it this way, if we are out of the top 6 by next weekend is done, then I fear we will just miss out. 

Just looking at the remaining fixtures, the contenders have at least two out of four or five remaining fixtures against fellow contenders/top of the table:-

Wycombe have to play Plymouth and Wednesday - four games left

Sunderland have to play Plymouth and Rotherham - five games left

Oxford have to play Toytown and MK Dons - four games left

Wednesday have to play Wycombe and MK Dons - five games left

Although Wednesday and Sunderland have a game in hand, the key game for us may well be Wycombe away. At least a draw is needed if only to take points away from Wycombe.

Another eight points from the other four games might do it (totalling 82 points)?

Two wins at Crewe and Fleetwood, with a last day victory against Portsmouth might also do it, even if we lost at Wycombe and MK Dons.

The good news from today's games is that Ipswich, Bournemouth and Portsmouth are now out of contention so, if we assume that Plymouth and Rotherham are "already there", it's reduced to just four teams for two places with Oxford's chances hanging by thread having lost the last three games on the trot.

What price a Sunderland/Wednesday final at Wembley?

5 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

We tend to do better against the so called better teams. Double over Wigan who will probably be champions, we dominated MK Dons and won, we have beaten Rotherham, Plymouth and Sunderland who are all currently in the top 6

Fair.

But my opinion is that we wouldn't have beaten Rotherham at our place ever with the team and management we've got.

Two banks of four and well rehearsed set pieces shouldn't undo genuine promotion contenders.

We've shown absolutely nothing today to indicate we'll do well in the playoffs.

Timing is everything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Just looking at the remaining fixtures, the contenders have at least two out of four or five remaining fixtures against fellow contenders/top of the table:-

Although Wednesday and Sunderland have a game in hand, the key game for us may well be Wycombe away. At least a draw is needed if only to take points away from Wycombe.

Another eight points from the other four games might do it (totalling 82 points)?

Two wins at Crewe and Fleetwood, with a last day victory against Portsmouth might also do it, even if we lost at Wycombe and MK Dons.

The good news from today's games is that Ipswich, Bournemouth and Portsmouth are now out of contention so, if we assume that Plymouth and Rotherham are "already there", it's reduced to just four teams for two places with Oxford's chances hanging by thread having lost the last three games on the trot.

Bournemouth did well to make a challenge at all.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Look at Plymouth's last 4 games, all against the top 6. Will Plymouth get to 82?

1 minute ago, OohhJohnnyJohnny said:

I think we could easily lose next week. But my starting assumption was finishing on 82 points would see us in playoffs (which I still believe to be true). So before this game we needed 10 points from the six remaining games. That’s three wins and a draw so still leaves scope for two losses and still making playoffs. Wycombe is going to be a big fixture for us IMO. Losing that one could be very damaging. 
I wouldn’t be surprised if we finished 7th though. But it won’t be because of today. Or even next week. 
But I think it will go to the last game of the season…

6 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Bang on Conceding goals from set pieces and not finishing teams off is exactly why we are where we are. We missed 3 absolute sitters and Bolton should have scored from 2 more set pieces. 
Luongo was absolutely immense again, it’s vital he stays fit until the end of the season for us to stand any chance