Bad results today

8 hours ago, SiJ said:

Technically, I think this team is better than the 2011/2012 team. We've got some very, very good fooballers for the third tier, that's not in doubt. 

What the 2011/2012 team had though was a knowhow and an ability to win ugly. 

And some big robust centre backs who stayed fit.

Guest LondonOwl313
10 minutes ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Top 2 looking difficult. Probably need 15 wins from 24 and a few draws to have a chance this year . Usually 85-90pts ish I think . 15 wins 3 draws , 6 losses . 48 pts add our current 37 = 85 pts

Yeah that would be a good end to the season but it won’t be enough for top

2. Also can’t see us losing 6 games, we’re nearly half way and have only lost 3 despite being pretty poor for a large part of it 

12 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Well I just think that we should have been aiming top 2 with some of our players on paper. An international first choice keeper, Iorfa, Bannan, Luongo, Windass.. all championship players, plus quite a few others that were playing that level only last season (Gregory, Palmer, Johnson, Adeniran etc). I don’t think Rotherham or Wigan have better squads, kind of showed when we beat them both away.. it’s just that we’re really inconsistent in both boxes in particular and tactically we haven’t been good

You will get stick for saying that(i have) for similar,but it doesn't make it any less correct in my view...Thing is people dont want to hear it.....

All i see frankly is excuse making ......I  dont see achieving a play off place(if we do)...as a 'result' ..

Why? because we should have done so much better..for reasons you reference..

14 hours ago, Jim said:

Rotherham and Wigan are going well, so fair play to them. If this was the end of March then I’d be looking solely at the play-offs but there is still plenty of football to play and I still believe the size of our squad will be our trump card in the end.

I also thought the size of our squad would be useful, until I saw the fringe players get hammered 3-0 to Hartlepool reserves.  I'd be amazed if we finished top two. Long way to go though.  

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Yeah that would be a good end to the season but it won’t be enough for top

2. Also can’t see us losing 6 games, we’re nearly half way and have only lost 3 despite being pretty poor for a large part of it 

85 is probably an average to get to the automatics pal I had a look prior to the post . Maybe this year with how Wigan and Rotherham are going it could be 90 ish though 

36 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

I also thought the size of our squad would be useful, until I saw the fringe players get hammered 3-0 to Hartlepool reserves.  I'd be amazed if we finished top two. Long way to go though.  

I wouldn’t read too much into that result or performance. Some of the players involved that night have played their part in some league games this season including Wildsmith and Brown who particularly struggled that night. I’m totally relaxed about us and as I’ve said many times we’ll get stronger as the season goes on.

• Like 1

Top 2 or playoffs, doesn't matter where we finish as long as we go up. 

Plymouth and Oxford the only teams above us to beat us. We're playing better football now so I'd like to think come end of the season, we'd be more than capable of winning the playoffs. 

Anyone expecting top 2 needs to adjust their expectations a little.

• Like 1

From before the start of the season I’ve always thought top six would be a reasonable return after all of the changes in the squad. I had just started to feel momentum might be with us and we could make a bid for top 2 in the second half of the season but the COVID disruption is going to play a big part in how the season plays out. Time will tell who will benefit from that….

• Like 1

The 2nd half of this season will be strange. Honestly don't think we can take any form from the opening 22 games into the remaining 24.

We will having a 2 week enforced covid break soon whether we like it or not. It could affect any side different when we return we'll have to see.

There is also the fact that those games will end up being played Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday for eg so will all be about the teams with bigger squads come game 46.

I think we can still catch top 2. They aren't City and Liverpool destroying all comers. They are catchable and beatable.

Realistically automatics is a real stretch now, but considering everything achieving playoffs would have seemed an excellent achievement at the beginning of the season. We are in a great position now with key players, who have missed most of the season coming back, and I should say players that should be in the Championship.

I have felt all along that play offs is where we would finish and can see no reason to change that opinion and with the clubs above us having to come to Hillsboro then who knows 

• Like 1