Darren Moores plan for centre back

Maybe Moore has noticed that Cheltenham bloke mouthing off to the international press about us being well coached, so knows we are being watched.   I went past the training ground about a week ago and noticed a white van in the car park.

Remember Cheltenham is home to GCHQ and many workers there support the Robins.

This could well be a double bluff by Moore, a bit of misinformation, a coupe de at tet e tet.  Very smart from Moore 

• Haha 4

He's grasping at hopes in the dark.

What a mess.

Another season and batch of money utterly wasted on paying players who will never work in this random system.

We always make things look and feel so difficult, because we always do things wrong at the top.

The wrong manager signing the wrong players then fiddling around with all sorts of line ups and formations - ultimately resulting in a struggle for goals, stupid defeats and a belated sacking - then another badly thought out appointment... and so on and so on.

We never, ever learn as a club.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

How can he talk about bringing balance to the left hand side when he repeatedly plays Palmer at left back ? 

FFS 

I'd rather he play Palmer at left-back in a back-four than at CB in a back 3. He has played LB since Bruce was in charge and was doing a better job at it than he was at RB at that time, maybe made him more focused? Whatever the case he is not the ideal choice at LB but is better suited to that than shoehorned into a back 3 that does not make the most of what we have in any area of the pitch. 

We started this season with 5 clean sheets in a row all playing a back 4. 

Not hard to understand why we are conceding goals, especially from set prices when we are reverting to a back 3 that consists of 1 CB. 

Even dafter to suggest he will persist with a winger at CB just because he’s left footed. 

🤯 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Darren, sorry mate but you're a f___g idiot.

It's bad enough that he's persisting with the 352 which clearly isn't yielding either results (only 2 league wins since he abandoned the 4 at the back defence that saw us win 3 of the first 4 games without conceding a goal) or cohesive performances, but playing a left winger who fills in at left back, at centre back, along with another mediocre full back, just to make up the numbers whilst leaving one of your only two fit CBs on the bench is the sort of tactical plan that you'd see smeared on the wall of a 19th century mental asylum, in human faeces.  

Exactly.

Our summer recruitment pointed towards 4 at the back and 3 up top and the decision to let Brennan leave on loan after breaking into the squad further supported this.

We play variations of 4 at the back and 3 up top for the first month of the season and take 10 points from 4 games with no goals conceded. It was far from free-flowing but it was clearly effective and could surely only get better with time to gel.

We played well at Morecambe but lost then got turned over at Plymouth and from that point on the plan seems to have been thrown out of the window.

We now apparently seem to pick our formation and selection based on the opposition - having just 2 days to train and make a plan for the next league game after the vital pizza cup game at Mansfield a prime example. 

We shouldn't be changing our approach each game to combat the opposition at this level, make minor tweaks yes but not change tactics completely - let the opposition worry about our strengths and nail down a way of playing that gets the best out of our players.

Playing a wide midfielder at CB in a back 3 (that also includes a full-back) is ridiculous really. Does it give us more balance? We created nothing first half against Lincoln and they ended the game with more shots on target and more possession than us - how can that be seen as a positive from a home game in which we should really be on the front foot. 

2 hours ago, Spion Kop said:

I thought he was terrible mate against one of the worst team to come to Hillsborough this season.

Dunkley should have played but we should recall Brennan from his loan if we can.

In this league he should be playing for us, he's just as good as any of the opposition defenders I've seen. 

Johnson is not a defender and we didnt buy him to play in this role, yet another one of Moore's diabolical tactical decisions.

I think terrible is a bit strong. I thought he was okay but out of position, it was to be expected.

I hope we don't see this long term.

• Like 1