Kaiserslautern similarities ?

13 hours ago, georgetheowl said:

I was at the Wednesday v Kaiserslautern game at Hillsborough in 1992 in one of the best atmospheres i have ever experienced. The other day i was browsing results around Europe and noticed that Kaiserslautern were now in the third tier of German football !. After a quick look at why , the familiar themes of financial mismanagement , overpaid players and persistant poor decisions by the board and managers were a few of many reasons . They still have crowds in the early twenty thousands and have a hardcore of support who will attend thick or thin ! . Are they the German 'Wednesday' as it has been a similar downfall from the dizzying heights of that unforgettable night in 1992 ?

Personall I always cherish being part of the atmosphere in the stadium in Germany in the 1st leg. Wow 

28 minutes ago, tjchitt86 said:

We'd have played Ajax in the next round if we got past ze chormans. 😔

Some massive teams in the competition including Juve, Madrid, PSG and Roma alongside us...

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/history/seasons/1992/matches/

I didn’t know that.

Just imagine how much fun an Amsterdam away would have been..........

On 22/08/2021 at 21:47, Prutton Away said:

I was at both the home and away matches versus the Kiaserslautern Olympic diving team and some 28 odd years later  it is with some bizarre twist of fate that I am currently in transit back,  to take up a new job in a small town just outside the said kings river.  Thus I  was wondering if I should adopt them in some some way as my new 'team'. Thankfully the thought passed within half a second when I remembered they play in red and white and are a  bunch of cheating bar stewards. No further comparisons  to be made thank you. 

I have arrived 20 minutes down the road from KL and this greeted me. (Circled is his Red Devil tat) Neil please delete the thread and no one need suffer the memory of this filthy team again. 

IMG_20210825_183149_787~2.jpg

• Like 1

On 23/08/2021 at 13:12, tjchitt86 said:

We'd have played Ajax in the next round if we got past ze chormans. 😔

Some massive teams in the competition including Juve, Madrid, PSG and Roma alongside us...

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/history/seasons/1992/matches/

Progressed further than Man Utd. Some quality in the competition back then. Wish they'd do away with the Europa League and this new Conference League and go back to the old UEFA Cup competition.