Kaiserslautern similarities ?

I was at the Wednesday v Kaiserslautern game at Hillsborough in 1992 in one of the best atmospheres i have ever experienced. The other day i was browsing results around Europe and noticed that Kaiserslautern were now in the third tier of German football !. After a quick look at why , the familiar themes of financial mismanagement , overpaid players and persistant poor decisions by the board and managers were a few of many reasons . They still have crowds in the early twenty thousands and have a hardcore of support who will attend thick or thin ! . Are they the German 'Wednesday' as it has been a similar downfall from the dizzying heights of that unforgettable night in 1992 ?

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, georgetheowl said:

I was at the Wednesday v Kaiserslautern game at Hillsborough in 1992 in one of the best atmospheres i have ever experienced. The other day i was browsing results around Europe and noticed that Kaiserslautern were now in the third tier of German football !. After a quick look at why , the familiar themes of financial mismanagement , overpaid players and persistant poor decisions by the board and managers were a few of many reasons . They still have crowds in the early twenty thousands and have a hardcore of support who will attend thick or thin ! . Are they the German 'Wednesday' as it has been a similar downfall from the dizzying heights of that unforgettable night in 1992 ?

Funny that as I was looking for them last week wondering what happened to them. 

I was at both the home and away matches versus the Kiaserslautern Olympic diving team and some 28 odd years later  it is with some bizarre twist of fate that I am currently in transit back,  to take up a new job in a small town just outside the said kings river.  Thus I  was wondering if I should adopt them in some some way as my new 'team'. Thankfully the thought passed within half a second when I remembered they play in red and white and are a  bunch of cheating bar stewards. No further comparisons  to be made thank you. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, georgetheowl said:

I was at Hillsborough that night too. We didn't quite manage to turn it around after the 1st leg debacle. 

So we lost the ref lost us 2 goals and player during that fixture. I thought the racism propegated by The Sheffield Star was disgusting and boyed the German lads to such an extent that they gave everything and more to protect their lead. I was more than a little upset with the insesent 'Dambusters March' . Any chance of turning it around had gone. 

The first leg was great plenty of fans mixing. Police happy to direct and advise. The flare show at the Kaiser end was awesome. Even harboured hopes of taking the prize with Boy wonders deft little header. Then came the none elbow and his marching orders we were dead then, over ran . Still a little hope but the Star; Oh my, did they think they were doing us a favour ?

There were several flights from Leeds, Manchester and East Mids. A fair number of independents in cars and vans. I was on coach 22 and there were probably another 10 or so behind. Overnight we stopped at a cafe in Lille 2 coffees and two cakes cost us 80 Francs about £9. As we approached Kaiserslautern one could hardly fail to be impressed. The stadium built on top of a big hill stood out like a monument. I could get used to these trips I thought but at 71 I suppose my European jaunts are now over.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, georgetheowl said:

Whose  their manager? DaHERRen MOOHERR? 

The away trip was memorable! 
My brother had some Germans over for business. Took them in to town on freshers night. Said it was absolute carnage on west street. Turned out they were Kaiserslautern fans and had been over the game. Said they had never felt so scared at a match. Their second visit was freshers night. What an impression they must have of our city 😀