I Know It's Early Doors But.......

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

When Garry Monk did all that you raised an army and drove him out of town

When did Monk ever have us playing attractive attacking football. And as for his qualities as a man manager? He needed a massive f**king freezer with the way he managed the squad?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jim said:

We needed a manager who would have us playing attractive attacking football, a good man manager and someone who would trust in youth. He ticks all 3 boxes and several more besides. Early days of course but I’ll be amazed if we’re not lauding DM as a Wednesday managerial legend in due course. Reminds me of Big Ron, he really does.

You were banging on about what an amazing appointment Pulis was and yet he has none of those traits you have mentioned. 

8 minutes ago, 83owl said:

You were banging on about what an amazing appointment Pulis was and yet he has none of those traits you have mentioned. 

We all knew Pulis wasn't going to give us that. Buts what's more annoying is he didn't give us what he was suppose to be good at either. 

Probably the worst managerial appointment in our history.

• Like 1

Jury is still out for me with Moore 

his recruitment seems to have been excellent from what we have seen so far but I am still not convinced of his tactical nouse .

Early days but I feel we have not been that convincing and his balance in midfield is a major concern to me . 
Hopefully it will all drop into place once everyone is available 

3 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

his recruitment seems to have been excellent from what we have seen so far but I am still not convinced of his tactical nouse .

Early days but I feel we have not been that convincing and his balance in midfield is a major concern to me . 

I think he has been pretty good. although I do understand what you are saying. Any manager should be able to get this squad up the table. And he did also get us or was part of us getting relegated.

Balance in midfield is ok. Just because all the flashy wingers ain't playing each side don't mean the balance ain't right. We played two wingers at Charlton and Huddersfield and it didn't work. Moore has tweaked the midfield with Byers and we are much better. and when Windass comes back we will be even better still because he is like McGeady for Sunderland will pop up everywhere and carry the attacks. 

I was pleased with Moore's appointment, I thought he'd done well at WBA and Donny, I think we got him with an eye on being in L1 this season after he had Rovers well on the way to the top 6, he's obviously got the respect of the players and that means a hell of a lot, like the OP said its early days but DM could become a very memorable appointment for the club, i'd like nothing more.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

He's still a young manager, he's still learning his trade and isn't going to get it right everytime and will make mistakes along the way.

We need patience, Rome wasn't built in a day.

But I fully believe he'll become a Wednesday legend.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

He's still a young manager, he's still learning his trade and isn't going to get it right everytime and will make mistakes along the way.

We need patience, Rome wasn't built in a day.

But I fully believe he'll become a Wednesday legend.

This. Of course he will make mistakes. Ferguson made loads of mistakes, he will openly reel them off. The skill of any manager is to recognise mistakes and correct them quickly. Fergie was brilliant at it. Big Dave has shown today, he is a quick learner.

The difference in Moore for me, compared to the most recent rabble, is his positivity. No matter what knocks he takes, how cynical people are, he has an inner strength and positivity which is all consuming. People want to be around him, he takes action and he is clearly a decent human being. Equally, I don’t buy the jury’s still out brigade. We’ve seen more football in four games than we have seen in three years. Never I have heard so many players speak about him, like the current crop have. We will go through a sticky patch and go behind in games. But he has brought a team spirit to Wednesday, that hasn’t been seen for ages, which will pull us through adversity.

He has my total support.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Lose the next three games this thread will have melted away along with the site.

Very early days, whilst we have played well in parts, we are far from convincing and haven't dominated a game.  

The signs are there, I'll be happier once we take a game by the scruff of the neck. Hopefully on Saturday against a team who are doing well and play robust football.

• Like 2

Plea for patience.

We have to be among the worst ever fan based for rushing to conclusions. Three games in is too early to make a definitive judgement on DM. I remember folk on here lauding Joost van Aken after two good games.

That said, Moore seems to be trying to build a team/ establish a way of playing, which, on the evidence of the 1st half hour against the Cod Army has aggression, pace and skill to the fore. It was the most purposeful I’ve seen us since Carlos season 1.

I hope no one panics if we lose on Saturday. It looks like he is on the right track but key players like Iorfa and Bannan are the ones that elevate (see what I did there) us above the average. If they get injured or leave it won’t be so straightforward. 

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

I get what you're saying, and I broadly agree. I would also add that some of us are getting a bit carried away based on a few games against modest opposition. Games in which, as you say, we've not exactly been convincing and in which we rode our luck at times.

Having said that, I think Darren Moore was as good an appointment as we could have realistically hoped for given our dire situation and I think we were fortunate both that he took a chance on coming here in the first place and then sticking around after we were relegated. He is a respected coach, has experience at this level, likes to play decent football and his players seem to love him. I don't understand why some people thought he wasn't good enough for us.

He may or may not be a long term managerial solution, but I think he is absolutely, nailed on, the manager we need right now. My hope for this season was simply that we could break out of our downward spiral, draw a line under the chaos of recent seasons, and start afresh with a squad that was at least competitive at this level and which could be improved. So far, with Darren Moore at the helm, the signs are good, very good indeed. The balance and make up of the squad looks excellent, with a good blend of proven Championship quality players and decent looking youngsters with something to prove. And has others have noted, the bench always looks good. 

So I'm not anticipating "HMS P*ss The League". But equally, I'm more and more confident that we don't have to worry about the trapdoor opening beneath us. We'll have setbacks of course, the occasional disappointing run, but I think we're now in a position where a style of play is being established  and we have a squad which suits that style and which can be improved both as individuals and as a team. There is finally a feeling of positivity and optimism around the club, and DM has to take a lot of credit for that.

16 minutes ago, markg said:

Found it bizarre that anyone would even think about criticising him last season.

Hope he is here for long haul.

If he isn't then I have a feeling that DM will make it to the premier league before we do.

I hope he's here long term, and he has made a cracking job of pre-season regarding transfers in's and out's and a solid start to the season. However he had time enough last season to get at least 1 extra positive result, which in the end would have kept us up.

12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

When Garry Monk did all that you raised an army and drove him out of town

Monk was an awful manager and built a dysfunctional and imbalanced squad. He has to take a level of responsibility for the relegation last season. As does Tony Pulis for stepping in thinking it would be a piece of cake, and quitting in disgraceful fashion when he realised it would be a tougher job than he thought.

• Like 1