Change to the number of headers allowed in training

4 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I played Sunday league for 20 years mate when we used proper balls, not the lightweight balloons the pro's use these days. Heading is a massive part of the game. 

Football has already suffered enough due to tackling being outlawed. Ban heading and we may as well call it a day. 

It's only in training and basically in mini soccer, not even in games. Chill out.

Games changed, using the ball effectively is encouraged.

Edited by Maddogbob

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Not funny mate

No she actually has. The point I was trying to make was that Alzheimer’s also happens to people who have never headed a football in their lives. 

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Why are people so easily outraged these days.

lol

I know it's like the worlds ended.

I swear some people think they still use size 5 mitres at u7

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Not sure if you're just deliberately trolling now or not

No definitely not trolling. I just can’t see how this can possibly be enforced. They should just ban heading all together. You can’t ban it a bit. It’s nonsense. 

1 hour ago, No Uniform said:

Yes. Especially in Rugby. There has been a number and still growing number of court cases, linked to rugby and early onset dementia. Football thankfully doesn't have this link so far, as early onset is truly horrible. 

Jeff Astle would disagree

• Like 2

It’s just a kneejerk reaction to the number of long term complications associated with footballers which is all well and good but it was when the balls weighed a tonne especially when they were soaked… What we use now are fly away balls in comparison! 

1 hour ago, Gob_Bluth said:

They're all looking into it.

The NFL is probably the biggest sport doing something about it, they've had a lot of high profile incidents - murders/suicides all linked to CTE caused by impact to the head playing the sport

Didn't the NFL basically deny any link for near on 30 years.

7 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

It’s just a kneejerk reaction to the number of long term complications associated with footballers which is all well and good but it was when the balls weighed a tonne especially when they were soaked… What we use now are fly away balls in comparison! 

Let's just put this one to bed (I did post this earlier in the thread but seems it might have been missed)

It is true that footballs of previous eras were significantly heavier than today’s, but other changes in the sport – not least the pace at which the balls tend to travel – have offset the effects. “It’s the speed more than the weight that has the significance,” said Dr Willie Stewart, a consultant neuropathologist who leads a study in the field.

“The modern ball stays light, but if you hit it and it travels faster and lands at a higher speed, it may be causing more problems. People suggest that because the ball is lighter, or that players are training at higher intensity, that the risk has gone away. There’s nothing to support that at all. Quite the opposite. Maybe it’s got worse.”

To summarise - we can't just say things like the old balls were heavier and that's why the old footballers got brain damage

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, No Uniform said:

Yes. Especially in Rugby. There has been a number and still growing number of court cases, linked to rugby and early onset dementia. Football thankfully doesn't have this link so far, as early onset is truly horrible. 

From Alzheimers.org.uk:

A small study in early 2017 was among the first to show a greater risk of dementia in professional footballers. Researchers studied the brains of former footballers with memory problems. They found that most had signs of a form of dementia called chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), and all had signs of Alzheimer’s disease. However, it is important to note that footballers without memory problems were not studied.

Since then, a longer and larger study has provided further evidence for a link between professional football and a greater risk of dementia. This has led to responses from the Football Association, and the announcement of two new research studies. 

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/blog/football-heading-dementia-risk

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Let's just put this one to bed (I did post this earlier in the thread but seems it might have been missed)

It is true that footballs of previous eras were significantly heavier than today’s, but other changes in the sport – not least the pace at which the balls tend to travel – have offset the effects. “It’s the speed more than the weight that has the significance,” said Dr Willie Stewart, a consultant neuropathologist who leads a study in the field.

“The modern ball stays light, but if you hit it and it travels faster and lands at a higher speed, it may be causing more problems. People suggest that because the ball is lighter, or that players are training at higher intensity, that the risk has gone away. There’s nothing to support that at all. Quite the opposite. Maybe it’s got worse.”

Interesting… But I don’t really see the point in reducing what happens in training sessions, you either make a change altogether (including matches) or non at al. Just my opinion though. And i also agree with an earlier point, how on earth can this be enforced? Surely its within the remit of coaches and how much concern they have around safety

8 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Ah but the ball moves much much faster so the concussive force is likely not that much lower

3 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Interesting… But I don’t really see the point in reducing what happens in training sessions, you either make a change altogether (including matches) or non at al. Just my opinion though. And i also agree with an earlier point, how on earth can this be enforced? Surely its within the remit of coaches and how much concern they have around safety

It's risk reduction at youth football level. Can it be enforced, not in my opinion.

There will always be some coaches, at some clubs, looking for an edge to get ahead (pardon the pun). 

I really don't understand why people are getting confused here, heading isn't outlawed, it's just reducing the risks in the youth game.

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Thanks 1