Change to the number of headers allowed in training

38 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

It needs to be looked at but I have not seen, though I have not looked for, the evidence that there is a connection. They just seem to parade a few high profile players that have dementia, and were footballers.

There are hundreds and hundreds of professional footballers and thousands more amateurs. 

What are the risks? Do we know?

Obviously it makes sense that banging you head repeatedly may lead to damage of the brain but do we know what the chances are.

Thats one of the points that Shearer made when speaking about the issue….

We might not actually see what effects heading (the newer, lighter balls being delivered at with pace and speed over a constant period) has on the players, until the ones we grew up watching in the 90s onwards, get older. Sadly by then it could be too late 

2 hours ago, vulva said:

I run a junior team, and the irony is that one of the biggest cheers you get during a game is when a kid heads the ball. 

mine too. still cant get them to chest the ball though, but they are 13 year old girls!

9 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Maybe they should also ban keepers using their hands in case they break a finger saving a hard shot. 

Tackling has gone 

Heading looks like going. 

Your being hysterical or trolling.

2 hours ago, yeadonowl said:

What about sports like rugby, boxing etc where blows to the head are part of the sport? Are they seeing changes to regulations?

The whole intended purpose of boxing is to punch your opponent as hard as you can, preferably directly on the head. A win is even called a "Knockout".  The key word here is intent.  Heading a ball repeatedly for many years may have a detrimental affect, but it is not an action intended  to inflict injury.  You can't eliminate all risk from sport, but you can eliminate deliberate intention to injure.  

I have a dilemma here because I know boxing teaches self discipline and helps many youngsters, but how can boxing carry on and football is chastised for heading?

3 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

The whole intended purpose of boxing is to punch your opponent as hard as you can, preferably directly on the head. A win is even called a "Knockout".  The key word here is intent.  Heading a ball repeatedly for many years may have a detrimental affect, but it is not an action intended  to inflict injury.  You can't eliminate all risk from sport, but you can eliminate deliberate intention to injure.  

I have a dilemma here because I know boxing teaches self discipline and helps many youngsters, but how can boxing carry on and football is chastised for heading?

Except football isn't being chastised for heading, the risk is being reduced at youth level. Where a different type of play is encouraged and has been for meny years.

Why does everyone think that this is some sort of mad attack on football, or the men's professional game?

Edited by Maddogbob

4 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

As I said earlier in the thread

The risk is being minimised in combat sports, bigger gloves, less to no hard sparring whilst training for a fight

You can't minimise all risk in combat sports but you can take out and change the places where a lot of the damage happened, which was in the gym training rather than the actual fights themselves

You minimise this by taking heading out of the game completely. What alternatives are there? I doubt every player will be happy with wearing head guards, so what next, make football played only on the floor? Corners, long balls etc become obsolete 

Edited by FreshOwl

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

You minimise this by taking heading out of the game completely. What alternatives are there? I doubt every player will be happy with wearing head guards, so what next, make football played only on the floor? Corners, long balls etc become obsolete 

Except heading hasn't been banned has it? 

Just now, Maddogbob said:

Except heading hasn't been banned has it? 

But how do you minimise it? Surely if heading is that detrimental then you take it out of the game full stop, as opposed to limiting the amount of times you can head the ball. Because if it causes that much damage, then doing it at all surely isn’t good? 

I’m not sure this will make a big difference to football really. They are only talking about limiting the amount of heading practice, not banning it from the game. There will still be headers during the 90 mins of match time, just not loads during the week. There have been loads of changes to the game over the years to minimise injuries. This is just another one. 

Ive read the BBC article and there have been loads of studies proving the long term links between heading and dementia so once you know it exists you can hardly just let kids carry on with it can you? You’d have the arse sued off you! 

No doubt boxing will be banned at some point in the future as well. 

3 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

But how do you minimise it? Surely if heading is that detrimental then you take it out of the game full stop, as opposed to limiting the amount of times you can head the ball. Because if it causes that much damage, then doing it at all surely isn’t good? 

Oh dear god, it's being limited in training. It's called risk reduction. Again at youth level. Not in games, not in the pro game.

The key here, is risk reduction. If you choose to play a sport, you accept the risks that come with it.

Same with any risky behaviour.

12 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Why does everyone think that this is some sort of mad attack on football, or the men's professional game?

People always rant and rave about every change made in football and paint it as the end of the sport as we know it. As you’ve said it’s hardly the biggest change is it? Football’s rules haven’t been changed, just minimising heading practice. 

3 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I’m not sure this will make a big difference to football really. They are only talking about limiting the amount of heading practice, not banning it from the game. There will still be headers during the 90 mins of match time, just not loads during the week. There have been loads of changes to the game over the years to minimise injuries. This is just another one. 

Ive read the BBC article and there have been loads of studies proving the long term links between heading and dementia so once you know it exists you can hardly just let kids carry on with it can you? You’d have the arse sued off you! 

No doubt boxing will be banned at some point in the future as well. 

100% nail on the head.