Change to the number of headers allowed in training

16 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 12.43.28.jpg

Obviously there are a gazillion reports into this and research done that basically overwhelmingly shows that heading the ball causes brain damage, dementia and early death.

But other than that it’s all fine right?

1 minute ago, Miruic said:

But other than that it’s all fine right?

Yeah all fine and dandy!
Not sure why we're changing this other than it's obviously the nanny state paid for by Seth Bennett and Boy George wanting to just make changes for changes sake

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah all fine and dandy!
Not sure why we're changing this other than it's obviously the nanny state paid for by Seth Bennett and Boy George wanting to just make changes for changes sake

lol

Also worth noting that the horrendous nanny state isn’t changing the game at all, there are no changes to heading at a match, just training.

How am I meant to enjoy a game on Saturday if I don’t know that the players have been heading a ball all day everyday during the week?!?

• Like 1

I’m not doubting something needs doing. I’m doubting if this has really been thought through. Who has made these recommendations, have clubs, coaches and players been consulted? It just seems like ( the under 18 rule) that it’s something thoughtbup by someone totally outside football with no idea if it’s actually practice yet alone enforceable?

1 minute ago, Plonk said:

Thanks for that. Obviously I’m not aware of how things like that have changed. But surely the risk is still there when you get in the ring?

Of course - it's the danger of doing combat sports, even in light  sparring there's still danger of moving into a strike and getting hit harder than intended.

But before, you'd hard spar in the gym, get sparked out, get a concussion, not really recover, go out and fight, take more accumulative damage in the fight, rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

errrr....

I know this might not go down well BUT

Can I just point out that despite the ranting of people saying 'this is ridiculous' or 'nanny state' the absolute facts are that the footballers who have been heading the ball for your entertainment have been dying early from brain injury

So yeah - keep saying how ridiculous it is

I 100% support players and their families and friends not suffering due to the footballer in question getting serious brain damage, just because some old gimmers wanted them to be heading a football over and over and over for years for their entertainment

And I 100% absolutely GUARANTEE that none of you - NONE of you - would be up for having brain damage so please... stop volunteering others to have it

Thank you 

Yours truly,

Every sensible person on the planet

This.

If it saves just one person from going through one of the most evil diseases in the world (dementia) then I am all for it. 

I watched a documentary on this a few years back. Think Shearer was presenting. I will hedge my bets that everyone moaning about it would change their perspective if they watched it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

I literally don't see how this can be tracked and enforced?

I wonder if the EFL will award us bonus points this season as thanks for us taking part in the last four years of government trials. As we know Barry Bannan hasn’t beaten the first man with our set pieces and Rhodes didn’t look like winning a header either. 

5 minutes ago, Plonk said:

I’m not doubting something needs doing. I’m doubting if this has really been thought through. Who has made these recommendations, have clubs, coaches and players been consulted? It just seems like ( the under 18 rule) that it’s something thoughtbup by someone totally outside football with no idea if it’s actually practice yet alone enforceable?

Not sure if you're just deliberately trolling now or not

Owlstalk Shop

58 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

May as well ban football then. You can't tackle anymore, now you shouldn't head the ball. 

It's pathetic. 

Only in training mate and basically at youth level up to u11. During training.

Personally I'd prefer a better technical training in heading encouraged. At the lower age groups. Main reason for this is I've lost count the number of times I've seen kids either head a ball badly or got smashed full in the face with the ball (my own included.) Which would in my opinion would do far more damage than a bit sensible heading practice.

Edited by Maddogbob

39 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Would you put yourself forward to get brain damage just for the entertainment of others?

And if you WOULD (you wouldn't) wouldn't you think it would be a good idea to have yourself protected from yourself through rules designed to stop you getting brain damage and dying an early death

I played Sunday league for 20 years mate when we used proper balls, not the lightweight balloons the pro's use these days. Heading is a massive part of the game. 

Football has already suffered enough due to tackling being outlawed. Ban heading and we may as well call it a day. 

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

I played Sunday league for 20 years mate when we used proper balls, not the lightweight balloons the pro's use these days. Heading is a massive part of the game. 

Football has already suffered enough due to tackling being outlawed. Ban heading and we may as well call it a day. 

It’s only in training 

Think people are getting the wrong end of the stick, thinking heading is banned.

This is the current recommend advise, alot of the advise it is to do with mini soccer u7 to u11

Screenshot_20210728-131955.jpg

Edited by Maddogbob

26 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Suggesting that we either continue as we are or do away with heading is a false dilemma.  There are ways to mitigate the damage caused by heading.  For example, better design of the match ball or even head protection for the players.  

People getting angry over this is just a bit bizarre.

Maybe the game should be played with a balloon?