Urhoghide turns down contract offer and is set to leave Sheffield Wednesday

14 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Sadly, it shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone at the moment. It really is sad times for the club. Anything could happen over the next few weeks. 

But at least we can tick off what won't happen.

New deals for existing players into last 12 months of contract - nope

Filing accounts from the 2019/20 to get us out of the embargo we are in - nope.

Sign a player - nope

Repay fans waiting for refunds from 2 seasons ago - nope.

Use the fans card to try and get yet more money out of us for substandard goods or quality - most definitely.

I think he could have been ok at league one level but I would hardly call him great so although would have preferred to have kept him I suspect he wanted a lot better wages which I don't think he is worth...   I will be surprised if he gets a championship club after him and if he does he will be a squad/backup player at best...  

I think he would even struggle to be a definite starter for us in league one so not going be too upset, he  made 16 Apps last year and of those 12 starts.  Not sure if going to a championship club and bench warm will do his career any good but you never know someone where-ever he goes might get injured...  Wish him all the best.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I doubt we’ll be replacing him. We have Hutch, Borner, Iorfa and Dunkley. Then Brennan coming through. 

if anything there are too many there. Which may have impacted his decision to stay. I mean if you said to me, where going to build a team around you. You’re the future, by the way we’ve brought Hutchinson back and he’s on double what we’re offering you. I’d question the faith you had in me and the amount of game time I’d be getting. 

The only issue is Borner could be off, Iorfa is coming back from a 9 month injury off the ACL often player reinjure from these sorts of injuries, Dunkley has not been match fit since February 2020, that leaves us Hutch who has a very good injury record (cough cough) and a young lad with 1 first team appearance.

I suspect we may be needed at least two for centre halves before the season starts. Unless of course we play Palmer there again.

That's a huge shame, but hardly surprising given the circumstances.

If we're unable to pay our players, then it makes it very difficult to sell the idea of signing a new contract with us, doesn't it?

I really hope he doesn't turn out to be as good as I fear he might though, otherwise we could be talking about this one for years to come.

:duntmatter:

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Happy to be proven wrong on this one, and wish him well, but I don’t see the hullabaloo with this lad. Every time I’ve seen him he’s looked miles out of his depth. Like a rabbit in the headlights. 

I think a season in league 1 would have been good for him to learn his craft some

more. Had a mistake or two in him. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

IMO this is a bigger loss than Liam Shaw - who flatters to deceive 

I do have a bit of sympathy with the club on this one though - he had a couple of good games and then a couple of mares and then suffered a really serious knee injury. 

It’s near total revisionism to say signing him up after Brighton and Leeds (who he got a rinsing against) was a no brained - wait and see how he develops was very much the right approach at the time 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sticky Micky said:

No the safe bet was giving him a contract as soon as the manager decided he wanted the player to start first team games 

The player wasn't on a massive wage 

Was all to happy to chuck another multimillion contract at Hutchinson and bannan tho

This club is clueless when it comes to youngsters and always has been 

When he started playing first team games he had at least another year and a half left didn’t he? Then injured. I think at that point ie last summer we’d have been in a stronger position to extend on our terms.

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

IMO this is a bigger loss than Liam Shaw - who flatters to deceive 

I do have a bit of sympathy with the club on this one though - he had a couple of good games and then a couple of mares and then suffered a really serious knee injury. 

It’s near total revisionism to say signing him up after Brighton and Leeds (who he got a rinsing against) was a no brained - wait and see how he develops was very much the right approach at the time 

I agree the injury muddied the waters here but on shaw I have no idea how he never had an option in his deal like some others have. 

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

The only issue is Borner could be off, Iorfa is coming back from a 9 month injury off the ACL often player reinjure from these sorts of injuries, Dunkley has not been match fit since February 2020, that leaves us Hutch who has a very good injury record (cough cough) and a young lad with 1 first team appearance.

I suspect we may be needed at least two for centre halves before the season starts. Unless of course we play Palmer there again.

Unless we get rid of a few, I see no first team CB’s coming in. I don’t disagree that what we have left is similar to how we stockpiled forwards a few years back. Loads of them but none that play all year and well! 

That’s why I’d have prioritised this lad over Hutch. I thought Urhoghide and Iorfa would be a fantastic pairing. I guess I’ll never know now.

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

When he started playing first team games he had at least another year and a half left didn’t he? Then injured. I think at that point ie last summer we’d have been in a stronger position to extend on our terms.

He signed a 1 year contract extension in 2020 after his other 1 year contract was expiring 

If your name isn't Barry bannan ,Sam Hutchinson or kieran Westwood 

You don't get longer than a year contract 

Edited by Sticky Micky

Guest Grandad

If he was offered the same as Shaw (£1100 pw - double his wages last season) I'd imagine he'll get fixed up for a significant amount more than that elsewhere.

Totally understandable. And he would definitely be an active member of a League One squad