Euro 2021

Regarding the 'easy' path we're supposed to have had, in 2016 France reached the final having played 6 home games against Romania, Albania, Switzerland, Ireland, Iceland and Germany. Their opponents, Portugal, got there having faced Iceland, Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Poland and Wales.

• Like 2

Working Sunday til 5pm, off Monday and Tuesday. BEVVIESSSS

It's weird, watching England there's always this sense of impending doom, like if we play a decent team we'll lose. Not got that with this team. Wasn't nervous yesterday, even at 1-0. Fancy us to do Italy too. 

22 minutes ago, Sova said:

Regarding the 'easy' path we're supposed to have had, in 2016 France reached the final having played 6 home games against Romania, Albania, Switzerland, Ireland, Iceland and Germany. Their opponents, Portugal, got there having faced Iceland, Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Poland and Wales.

It’s only a thing when it’s England. 

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

It’s only a thing when it’s England. 

Yep. Just like the teams we play are tricky before we play em and crap after we play em. 

Bring on those tears. I'm with Taz, I desperately want to win this obviously, but it's starting to mean even more if that's possible. 

11 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Working Sunday til 5pm, off Monday and Tuesday. BEVVIESSSS

It's weird, watching England there's always this sense of impending doom, like if we play a decent team we'll lose. Not got that with this team. Wasn't nervous yesterday, even at 1-0. Fancy us to do Italy too. 

In a way I was glad we'd finally conceded a goal (especially early-ish in the game) so we could show how we'd react. I'm expecting Italy to score so I think it would've been tougher to have to deal with conceding a first goal of the tournament in the final itself. Now we've got that unknown out of the way I think it's an extra thing we can be confident about.

• Like 2

I said before the game yesterday that for me Denmark had played the best football since game. I think they were a bigger test then Italy imo. Italy too me haven't rotated as much and lost their biggest threat in the left back. 

I'm going 3-1 England. Kane to score to break the English record. 

The real comforting thing from yesterday was how the big players like Kane, sterling, Maguire really stepped up. And Luke Shaw is unplayable atm. 

2 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Heard it said on the Quickly Kevin podcast that pint of wine was Englands sliding doors moment.

How do you think his reign would have went and who would FA have got in next?

I think we may have ended up at the same point to ne honest.

If it wasn't a pint of wine, it would have been something else.

There was a story doing the rounds, that Allardyce, Sammy Lee and Craig Shakespeare turned up to their first England training session hungover and stinking of booze, as they had had a session the night before to celebrate, Not sure how true that was.

He was never the right man for the job, and got it largely by default as there was seemingly no other candidates. Just because you've saved a few clubs from relegation doesn't man you are the man to take the England football team forward.

I think he may have lasted one qualifying campaign. The players would have hated going on England duty , the young ones wouldn't have connected with him at all. The only beneficiary of his reign would have been Wayne Rooney, who would have stumbled about the England team for another couple of years ( Southgate was correct in bombing him out after his stupid drunken antics at a strangers wedding reception, I think Big Sam would have laughed it off).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

I said before the game yesterday that for me Denmark had played the best football since game. I think they were a bigger test then Italy imo. Italy too me haven't rotated as much and lost their biggest threat in the left back. 

I agree. I actually feared Denmark more than Italy. They have been the "grown into the tournament" side and obviously riding the crest of momentum and spirit after what happened with Eriksen. I also thing Denmark as a team were uniquely built to test us in areas of possible weakness, particularly from set plays. 

Probably going against the grain here but I don't know how much I rate Italy. I thought they were sh*te against Austria and was more impressed with Spain the other day - who I also didn't rate. No doubt they're a good side, but I don't fear them. 

I just want to avoid extra time and penalties. I think momentum would swing in favour of the Italians the deeper we get into ET and ahead of a shoot out. I think if the two centre backs are knackered and we keep Chiesa quiet, we win the game in 90.

• Like 2

I think Italy have been impressive. They've done it all without any real depth to their squad as well. They dont have many gamechangers coming off their bench and now they've lost their biggest attacking threat it has thinned that out even more.

That being said, they have excellent organisation and are well coached. They put their bodies on the line and have unbelievable desire. My money is on extra time, I'm just hoping our fitness levels are as they were last night because I dont think Italy could live with us if we can keep that level of pressure up so late in the game. We ground Denmark down with incessant pressure in that last 50 odd minutes.

• Like 1