Euro 2021

The Italians are an excellent side, and it will be a very tough task.

I thought at times against Denmark we were almost too gung ho - the full backs were pushed on, McGuire came out of defence frequently.  It made us good to watch but also more ragged than we have seen - thankfully the excellence and scary physical attributes of Walker saved us on more than one occasion. 

Personally I would start this game a bit less frantically, and play our way in to it.  Keep solid (we still have no goals conceded in open play), use the outstanding Sterling to dribble at the Italians and drag their back players around, but dont go at it hell for leather as we did at times against the danes.  The Italians wont miss the final pass on the break like the danes did a couple of times, they are too cute and have better quality.

• Like 1

I get the feeling we will try and keep the ball like Spain did. Still dunno what formation to go with. 4231 and stick Mount/Grealish on Jorginho? Or 343 and counter the Insigne/Immobile/Chiesa threat?

Have to have the Sterling/Kane/A.N.Other trio up top to test the back line, feel like they have weakness against pace. Donnarumma looks like a beast in net though.

• Like 1

I think we have the better team on paper but it is hard not to be impresses by the Italians.

Did think they looked leggy against Spain on Tuesday though and were a bit lucky to get through.

Hoping our energy and youth will give us a bit of an edge over their undoubted experience, particularly at the heart of defence.

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

They see we are happy and confident and they can’t stand it 

c*nts, awful bitter losers 

The Spaniards complaining there seem to have forgotten that they hosted a group stage where their three opponents had to shuttle between Seville and St Petersburg, not to mention Switzerland's unfortunate red card in the QF. 

5 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

Hi Elliott

How was Wembley?

Amazing.  We became the best team in world football again where everyone is terrified to play us so they close shop and hope for pens.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sova said:

The Spaniards complaining there seem to have forgotten that they hosted a group stage where their three opponents had to shuttle between Seville and St Petersburg, not to mention Switzerland's unfortunate red card in the QF. 

Master race doesn't travel if it doesn't need to

14 minutes ago, Bez said:

Amazing.  We became the best team in world football again where everyone is terrified to play us so they close shop and hope for pens.

Busquets, Pedri and Olmo were terrific. The rest though? None of them would get near the team from a decade ago. 

You must be concerned going forward about the lack of central strikers and centre backs? 

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

So what? We were one of the main host countries. You could say that about any host in the history of the tournament. It’s still 11 vs 11. If north Macedonia hosted would they be expected to win? And if they did would there be similar outcry? 

I’m not complaining. But I do concede that we’ve had a massive advantage in the Wembley games. It could be argued that that the Germany game was see over the line because of the 12th man off the pitch. I’d imagine that the 12th man would have gone missing had we played Germany in Baku. 

And just checking your other point. In the past we have seen other host nations that aren’t really footballing powerhouses who have gone on well, S Korea, USA, etc. In fact I can only remember Belgium going out in the group stages when they hosted their Euro. 

Thank fully, we’ve had a massive lift in the way we’ve had the hand up in where the matches are played. 

We would be equally annoyed had the boot been on the other foot. 

• Like 1

All the supposed hatred towards England seems to stem either from the populist media in each respective country (on a level with The Sun, so say no more) or from social media, which is frankly nothing but a drain on society anyway. 

Both sources just like stoking up unpleasantness which on the whole probably isn’t there. It’s always only the gobby few who you hear spouting nowadays. As is often the case we’re only hearing from a minority who somehow get their opinions put  the loudest.

Anyway, Come on England. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mildatheart67 said:

The last time the hosting nation won the European Cup was....37 years ago

Broaden further, France won WC 22 years ago as the host nation. Granted, still a long time ago.