Euro 2021

Here are my thoughts on this England team.

After the Germany game I felt we would beat Ukraine and then I felt that we would have too much for the Danes which in reality we did, this game should have been over in normal time. I think we are better than Italy in every facet of the game, we are stronger in the back, our two centre halves are more mobile that theirs who are both experienced and have played well but are also older and not as good in the air as the Danes. In possession we are safe and solid and when we make positive forward moves our passing is sharp and incisive.

Italy are a very good team, but so are England, Italy have a very good manager, but so do England. What Italy don't have is the pace of Walker at the back or a striker like Kane. They have a good bench but they dont have players of the quality of Foden and Grealish on it and they dont have a player like Raheem Sterling.

I expect it to be a very close game but all things being equal I would look for an England win. As we know in football not all things are equal.

The response to going a goal behind was truly remarkable, the confidence to take Grealish off shows outstanding courage from the manager and the possession play in the last 10 minutes is how to finish a game in style.

If there were any neutrals, and in football if you aren't English you want to see us fail, they would be pulling for England. We have got better and better after the Scotland game and if we win on Sunday these lads will have to be ranked up there with some of the best teams to win this tournament, not the best but close.

• Love 1

Just watching the match again. Laser light reported to fourth official one minute into extra time. The tw@t was still doing it ten minutes later. Hope they get caught by cctv.

Edited by marconi
  • Like 1

I can’t believe the hatred for us 

we had home advantage, an easy run, dived, cheated, everyone hates us anyway.

people want Italy to win 

Italy 

italy 

because we’ve been diving 

Italy 

You know a lot of people hate England, but my experiences of living oversees for 25+ is that most of them hate us but secretly wish they were English. We have great fans, with the exception of a minority, and travel everywhere and make noise. We have the best music, that's not even close and we have a great sense of humour. It can be difficult to be proud to be English when you look at some of the things that happen in our country, but these lads dont half put a smile on your face in a foreign land.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, shandypants said:

TV is shocking this morning. Reports from various places in England with people pretending to still be celebrating. I have a headache and feeling a little fragile- can’t they just bloody stop?!!

The rise of the non football fan is also a tad annoying. I’m sure these people hated football a few months back. 

It was a penalty. There was a tackle just before the incident as well which could easily have been a penalty. Nobody is showing the reverse angle where Jensen clearly comes across Sterling and, makes no attempt to play the ball. Kane should also have had a penalty but, nobody is mentioning that in the criticism

of Sterling are they?

The referee was consistently poor all evening. Numerous cynical fouls left unpunished. Vestergaard, Delaney and, Poulsen all worthy of at least a yellow. 5 fouls for Delaney, a lot of refs would have had him off on totting up alone.

Lets not pretend the penalty decided the outcome of the game. We were in complete control from the start of extra time to the finish. Southgate got the subs spot on, the Danes didn’t and, were out on their feet as a result. They only touched the ball in the last 5 minutes due to us misplacing a pass after 3-4 minutes of keep ball. 

Sterling has been head and shoulders the best player at the entire tournament. He’s proved me wrong, I didn’t want him starting but, what a talent the bloke is. You can’t question his attitude, numerous important goals/assists, intelligent runs all game, the ability to beat his man has really stood out this tournament. Nobody has got near him. Every defender looks scared to death of him. 

• Like 3

I thought it was a penalty at the time, not watched it back so can't really say either way. All I will say though is that Kane should have had a pen and even without either of those I reckon we'd have scored anyway. We were absolutely dominant in extra time and passed up numerous chances to get shots away, one of those would have gone in. 

Seen some comments about there being 2 balls on the pitch. I was terrified they'd blow for that as Sterling was running in, and I bet the ref checked if he could retrospectively cancel the pen. Until he gave It I assumed he was under orders to screw us over. Not seen owt about the laser pointer, is it 1998 again? Thought those things went out of fashion then. 

Avoid reddit unless you want to bask in all the salty tears, in which case you'll be there all day cos there's an ocean of them to swim in. Seems the whole world wants Italy to win, and I couldn't. Care. Less. 

We're in a major final.