Our players under contract for next season

Think Bannan, Reach, Rhodes, Luongo, Westwood will all go...they owe the club nothing (apart from Reach who owes for shirking tackles, Luongo who owes a doctors bill and Rhodes who hasn’t paid his thumbs up tax) New goalkeeper required, (sell one of t’others) then start signing as many crocks, bad eggs and overweight journeymen as we can. Jobs a good ‘un!
Nothing will change enough to get the club out of league one at first attempt. IMHO.

We've finished bottom of the championship with these players - do people think they are worth building a new team around for a challenge in L1? If so, why?

I appreciate that it's a massive risk to try and re-build an entire team over two/three months. However, the culture, and application of some of these players has been disgraceful. 

We also need cash so I expect the club will listen to offers for BB and Windass - could raise a combined £3m. At least this would pay the ground rent.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Incognito Owl said:

We sold Grant to Rochdale in January, he made 20 appearances and scored 1 goal, he will face us next season. 

I would only keep players like Dele-Bashiru and Adedoyin and any other young player who resigns. I don't care about the rest aside from Iorfa really.

Only if he moves to a league 1 club. Rochdale got relegated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S72 Owl said:

As things stand 

Subs;

Dawson

Borner

Dunkley

Hunt

0F10F610-A422-45AD-B282-2D5368D94FD8.jpeg

That team has an all-too familiar look.

Saying that, would be surprised if we keep Iorfa, Windass, Bannan, Luongo and maybe even Paterson. Think Borner will leave too. Don't really want to keep Green.

Can see Dunkley staying, happy with that (the pen I can forgive). I don't even mind Borner staying if he fancies it.

We desperately need a proper keeper.

• Like 1

I know league one is a tough league and we can’t be complacent but I do think we’ll have some players who looked pretty average in the championship who could look very good in league one. For example Iorfa and Dunkley I think would be an ideal centre half pairing for the physicality of league one. Whereas Borner would continue to look average with mistakes in him. Palmer is more than good enough to be right back, so defense wise we’re a decent left back away from a solid back 4. Ideally I’d want that to be a young loanee with a bit of pace. I’m not Bannans biggest fan but he should be head and shoulders above any other player in that league. Patterson and Windass both should be really good players at this level. It does need a bit of quality here and there but I don’t think we need to go mad with the signings, nor do i think we can. We could be up there using what we have, trusting a few youngsters with a bit more game time and a few astute cheap signings and loans.

• Like 1

99% sure Borner is out of contract. If Darren realises that he can't play from the back, then he would be an effective centre-back in League One, especially considering his threat from set plays.

Would love to keep Iorfa as he's a top Championship defender, and we actually might due to his injury lay-off. Needs a huge rebuild. 

In an ideal with contract renewals and players moving on, this is the realistic squad for me for next year:

Wildsmith

Dawson

Jackson/Render

Penney

-NEW LB-

Iorfa

Dunkley

Hutchinson

Urhoghide

-NEW RB-

-NEW RB-

Hunt

Bannan

Dele-Bashiru

Luongo

-NEW Defensive CM-

Green

Paterson

-NEW LW-

-NEW RW-

Windass (can go for a decent offer)

-NEW ST-

-NEW ST-

2 hours ago, Night King said:

Wildsmith

Dawson

Iorfa

Borner

Dunkley 

Palmer

Luongo

Dele-Bashiru 

Grant

Bannan

Windass

Adedoyin

Paterson

I didn’t realise Palmer had another year. This weekend just gets worse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Two new goalkeepers is a must! Whenever Westwood has been injured/missing...which has been a large chunk of his contract, I've never felt confident with Wildsmith and Dawson....and you can't even use the excuse that they're young anymore...they ain't.

When we got promoted to the Championship with Dave Jones we had Bywater and Kirkland, and then Kirkland and Westwood as our keepers...now we have these two! How Wildsmith has been our number 2 all this time is beyond me, and one of many reasons we are where we are.

Try for John Ruddy from Wolves, 34, out of contract and an assured and experienced keeper thats gone from League 1 to Premiership with them.

• Like 2

If we sign wide positions to help us with squad rotations, different options 

that’s full backs / wingers 

another defensive midfielder

and a focal point striker that we missed this season 

I think we will be in an extremely strong position 

that’s all said can we sign anyone? 

not sure what his situation would be but that ladapo at Rotherham would be ideal for us up top in league one 

It's a difficult one. 

From a players point of view Westwood and Hutch haven't got alot if football left in them. They'd possibly sign a a contract to suit both parties. 

Bannan - obvs far too good for league one but I think he genuinely wants to be here and get us back up! We don't know his new contract in terms of pay but you'd guess it would have been along the lines of what Fletcher and Fessi were offered🤷‍♂️. Or did he sign knowing it would help us get a decent return on him should he be sold? 

Windass will be off 

Iorfa will be off 

Luongo will be off

Just now, Bigblueowl said:

It's a difficult one. 

From a players point of view Westwood and Hutch haven't got alot if football left in them. They'd possibly sign a a contract to suit both parties. 

Bannan - obvs far too good for league one but I think he genuinely wants to be here and get us back up! We don't know his new contract in terms of pay but you'd guess it would have been along the lines of what Fletcher and Fessi were offered🤷‍♂️. Or did he sign knowing it would help us get a decent return on him should he be sold? 

Windass will be off 

Iorfa will be off 

Luongo will be off

Westwood has been incredible fir us over the years but he’s deteriorated year on year and he’s now way past his best sadly. He’s comfortably the best keeper I’ve ever seen in a Wednesday shirt. 

2 hours ago, vulva said:

I’d be surprised if Moore didn’t go back to Doncaster for 2 or 3 of his favorites

Taylor Richards I can see him trying for on loan when he goes back to city