Our players under contract for next season

1 hour ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Have to resign Hutchinson. A must. Make him captain and the main centre back. Best defender at the club. Would also look at resigning Tom Lees if the offer is right. Would be good at League One.

Green is on the books for another season and SHOULD be handy in league one if played in the right position

Bannan was offered a contract but personally, i'd offload, his wages freed up allows us to bring in 4-5 players that offer more in all areas and better dynamism.

If Rhodes wanted to stay on a fraction of his wages - but i'm pretty sure that won't be the case ..

Most of those players would do a job in league one but i'd seriously consider putting some up for transfer

Keepers aren't good enough. Dawson really needs to step up as he's the better of the 2 though but has been shakey in championship. Might be easier for him in league one, who knows ....

Christ, we're really lacking aren't we. Moore and his mates have a rate job on their hands

Hutchinson, Lees and Rhodes?!?!? We want to move on from the old guard.

Would all have to take 80% wages cuts which isn't going to happen.

• Like 2

Looking at the bigger picture only Dawson, Dele-Bishiru and Bannan have contracts beyond next season.

I think DM should look at the next 2 years as a whole more so than just the next one IMO?

On 09/05/2021 at 09:31, Jim said:

Only if he moves to a league 1 club. Rochdale got relegated.

On 09/05/2021 at 09:41, Incognito Owl said:

Ah yeah you're right, thanks. I thought differently.

On 09/05/2021 at 12:24, hirstyboywonder said:

He won't. Rochdale's results were worse than ours and he will be playing in League 2 next season. 

20 hours ago, BigOwl said:

That’s Rochdale who have been relegated to L2

What league are Rochdale in again guys?lol

4 minutes ago, Incognito Owl said:

What league are Rochdale in again guys?lol

Whatever they call the 4th division nowadays!

WTF:

If windass stays I’d Be looking to him to score the bulk of our goals in league 1, even with a poor side this year he managed to score a few , get players around him and he should do a job for us.

But as mentioned I can’t see him bring a Wednesday player next season

We have a threadbare squad and it's wise to expect some to leave yet. 

I really do think our ability to sink or swim next season will depend on how many of the youth players people are talking about are genuinely ready. I'm not expecting us to sign 7-8 new first team ready players. In reality I think there will be 2-3 permanent signings, maybe another 2-3 loans, and the rest of the squad will be made up of youth players. 

32 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

We have a threadbare squad and it's wise to expect some to leave yet. 

I really do think our ability to sink or swim next season will depend on how many of the youth players people are talking about are genuinely ready. I'm not expecting us to sign 7-8 new first team ready players. In reality I think there will be 2-3 permanent signings, maybe another 2-3 loans, and the rest of the squad will be made up of youth players. 

With literally hundreds of players out of contract and most clubs struggling with financial problems I truly expect us to bring in at least 10 new players. Also I'm confident that likes of Windass and Bannan will leave the club.

Just now, malek said:

With literally hundreds of players out of contract and most clubs struggling with financial problems I truly expect us to bring in at least 10 new players. Also I'm confident that likes of Windass and Bannan will leave the club.

Worth remembering however that "clubs struggling with financial problems" includes ourselves.

It depends on the players you want. I've no doubt we could go out and sign up 10 players to fill shirts if we wanted to as soon as the contracts expire. Are they the right players at the right price? Are we filling positions of need with the quality required? We didn't last pre-season and ended up with Marriot, Brown and Kachunga. 

I think we need to dial into the mindset that this is a full rebuild. And quite frankly we need to get it right. Involving youth in that process isn't a bad thing and it isn't a negative. As I say though, I do believe the youth will play a substantial part of next season across numerous positions, and I think any success we have next season may hinge on how many of them are genuinely able to step up. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Worth remembering however that "clubs struggling with financial problems" includes ourselves.

It depends on the players you want. I've no doubt we could go out and sign up 10 players to fill shirts if we wanted to as soon as the contracts expire. Are they the right players at the right price? Are we filling positions of need with the quality required? We didn't last pre-season and ended up with Marriot, Brown and Kachunga. 

I think we need to dial into the mindset that this is a full rebuild. And quite frankly we need to get it right. Involving youth in that process isn't a bad thing and it isn't a negative. As I say though, I do believe the youth will play a substantial part of next season across numerous positions, and I think any success we have next season may hinge on how many of them are genuinely able to step up. 

This Summer we will find out if our scouts and recruitment team are worth what we are paying them.

We must start our rebuilding process and have one eye on next few seasons in mind when signing players. Again, due to pandemic and everything else going on there were never more good players available on free transfers and it is not a bad time to rebuild. Fingers crossed that we know what we are doing.

Youth must have defined path and open door to first team football. It would be great waste of resources to sign back-up midfielders and keep likes of Waldock out of first team squad. Same can be said for likes of Farmer, Hagan, etc...

• Like 1