Josh Windass was never 100% convincing

It’s a strange one. He’s clearly a decent footballer, but as you said doesn’t fit in tactically to what we’re doing. A flurry of goals would get him back in the team, but again, how likely is that to happen. 

Even Kachunga seems preferred to him at the moment 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1

I think attacking midfielder (10) or as an inside forward on the left of a 433...

Problem being as youve mentioned...yep we dont play that way! 

So as it stands, unless we drastically change our shape (or style), I dont see it either, other than a 20 minute cameo here or there every so often. 

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

When Josh Windass was playing up front I was saying (not from a negative view) that once we had other options or a striker, that Josh Windass would find himself out of the side completely simply because he just doesn't fit anywhere

He's most certainly not a striker. He's not prolific enough, his shots are erratic and wild.

He's not a winger - nothing like

We don't play with a number 10 and if we do it's Paterson in that role

He can't play midfield

I know I was mocked at the time for saying it but look at the moment - there's just no way he fits in, no justification for playing him over Paterson and Rhodes.

He's out in the cold as I fully expected

He's not as convincing as some fans will tell you

I don't see a way back for Josh Windass into the side

Making you right there. It was farcical that we paid such a fee for a player that was always unlikely to fit into our plans, even under Monk. I still maintain that, given our limited budget, to splash out over a million pounds on him and Paterson was crazy For different reasons, neither of them are right for us, yet disappointingly, they will be our only forward options going into next season

Guest wilyfox

I still believe in him. Paterson has shown value so far and Windass still can. Admittedly, his form is patchy. Needs consistency, but that can be said of most players in our squad.

We have hardly been spoilt for choice when trying to get players to join on -12. I think most were happy with Windass and Brown in that context last summer.

Windass may end up being a impact player on the bench when we have the game in a position to counter attack. He’s much better when the ball can be played into the channel for him. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Said this last season. He’s not a bad footballer and I do think he’s probably best as a striker but he’s not good enough at this level goals wise.

Think if he was worked with he could make a good league one striker 

Might turn out to be a shrewd signing then🙁

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dunkstar said:

He's the Forestieri of this team.

Exactly my view.

A player who doesn’t really quite have an obvious position. Trouble is he’s 2 or 3 levels below Fernando.

He needs way too many chances to score, and he’s very greedy, meaning his co-striker will feed off scraps to the detriment of the team.

Overrated in his early games. Seen through him now. 

• Like 2

I rate Windass, but we've not really played to his strengths a great deal this season.

Last year he averaged a goal every 156 minutes for us and a goal every 221 minutes in total, factoring in his games for Wigan. He clearly offers a threat at this level.

However, he's been asked to play in a few different ways this season, which has really disrupted his game. When he's played as a centre forward, he's averaged a goal every 219 minutes, which is pretty decent. When played as a second striker or attacking midfielder, he's struggled to impact games in the same way, although overall he still averages more shots per game than anyone else, and his pass success rate of 76% is among the highest in our squad and certainly a fair bit higher than our other attacking options. Only Paterson and Bannan have had a direct hand in more of our goals than Windass so far this season, too.

The issue he has now however, is that Thompson clearly favours an attacking approach which doesn't really suit Windass' game: whereas he works best when the ball is on the deck and he has early through balls to run onto, we're now favouring an approach which prioritises crosses from the flanks and using the aerial threat of Paterson and Rhodes.

We'll have to see what our long-term plans (I know, I know...) are going to be, as if we're going to continue with this style of football, then Windass is the odd man out. If not, then he could still have a lot to offer to our squad.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Exactly my view.

A player who doesn’t really quite have an obvious position. Trouble is he’s 2 or 3 levels below Fernando.

He needs way too many chances to score, and he’s very greedy, meaning his co-striker will feed off scraps to the detriment of the team.

Overrated in his early games. Seen through him now. 

That's exactly why he's this teams version. 

This team is 2 or 3 levels below the one FF played in.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

When Josh Windass was playing up front I was saying (not from a negative view) that once we had other options or a striker, that Josh Windass would find himself out of the side completely simply because he just doesn't fit anywhere

He's most certainly not a striker. He's not prolific enough, his shots are erratic and wild.

He's not a winger - nothing like

We don't play with a number 10 and if we do it's Paterson in that role

He can't play midfield

I know I was mocked at the time for saying it but look at the moment - there's just no way he fits in, no justification for playing him over Paterson and Rhodes.

He's out in the cold as I fully expected

He's not as convincing as some fans will tell you

I don't see a way back for Josh Windass into the side

It's not my problem, but how is Windass any worse than any other of our Fwd's?.

He has the energy to play a particular role in midfield, the ratting role, the one who is under the feet of the opposition midfield and getting in their faces, the type of player we do not have now, and is capable of scoring from midfield.

• Like 1