Josh Windass was never 100% convincing

10 hours ago, Dooogs said:

I know this is going to set off the "DON'T TALK ABOUT FOOTBALLING IDENTITY" klaxon but DC's habit of signing managers with differing football phiosophies means that there's a much higher risk of a new manager's tactics/formation not fitting the players available. The whole point of a club having a medium-long-term footballing philosophy is to hire successive managers (if needed) who can easily utilise the players available - and having a DoF to ensure that signings make sense and won't be discarded as 'not fitting our shape' six months later.

I'm not sure. 

Carlos in his first season has been the only real difference. 

Jos defensive and counter attack 

Bruce plays defensive counter attack

Monk defensive counter attack

Pulis defensive counter attack. 

We've hardly changed style since Carlos in season ones flowing football. Since then we've tried to defend resolutely and then break with the pace of Harris, muphey etc. 

5 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

One goal involvement every 3 games... is that good?

Lucas Joao is 17 league goals and 5 assists from 24 games this year

Playing in two relegation-threatened teams, it's pretty decent.

Not stratospheric like João's form, but nothing to suggest that he's incapable of contributing at Championship level.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I can fully see him playing today and a few folk coming on about how I spouted off a load of gash nonsense and how I've been proven wrong

Then Windass will disappear again into the background at the club

No one bothers  to comment that your posts are gash anymore. Strange overly negative thread, that you would have jumped on.

Paterson has gone a bit quite, would be the right decision to go with Windass.

1 minute ago, Somebody said:

No one bothers  to comment that your posts are gash anymore. Strange overly negative thread, that you would have jumped on.

Paterson has gone a bit quite, would be the right decision to go with Windass.

Strangely overly negative thread?

By saying a player doesn't fit into our formation?

Seriously?

The irony of saying someone's posts are gash then coming out with that

lol

REYT

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, megsonstheman said:

One of the few positives if we employ Cook as manager is that he has this players card marked

I think that ship has sailed after Chansiri's 'unprofessional' outburst.

Cook's comments on Windass were quite interesting though, weren't they?

“I think, especially when we weren’t doing so well, Josh probably struggled with the fact that he felt he moved from Rangers to Wigan Athletic, which was valid....I think over a period of time, it just become beneficial for the team, and for Josh, that he moved on. Josh Windass, without a shadow of a doubt, has got all the qualities to be a Premier League footballer. So when people built this up, I was always searching for a formula that made Wigan Athletic win. And unfortunately for some lads along the way there was always going to be a bit of collateral damage."

It seems to me that he's well aware of Windass' ability, but didn't think he was a natural fit for the system he needed to employ to get results with Wigan's squad last season.

It seems to be a similar story here under Thompson so far.

11 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

I'm not sure. 

Carlos in his first season has been the only real difference. 

Jos defensive and counter attack 

Bruce plays defensive counter attack

Monk defensive counter attack

Pulis defensive counter attack. 

We've hardly changed style since Carlos in season ones flowing football. Since then we've tried to defend resolutely and then break with the pace of Harris, muphey etc. 

On the face of it yes, but a closer inspection reveals slightly different philosophies Yes we were more expansive in Carlos’s first season, but switched to a different way of playing post Wembley It was still all about control though, setting up in a block in the middle of the park, but still keeping the ball. They gave us control of games, and achieved a decent win percentage. All the other managers have played a different type of defensive game,  looking for the head of a Fletcher type with longer balls It’s a less precise way of attacking, and relinquishes a lot of the control It also negates our midfield somewhat