Josh Windass was never 100% convincing

I actually like him as a player. Loads of running in him and he stretches play. He’s not prolific by any standards but he offers a different outlet particularly to run onto balls ‘over the top’. 
He doesn’t quite fit in the current side but we are only one injury (Patterson maybe) from him being a starter. 
You do sometimes need something different to bring on off the bench too. 
The problem all our strikers have is they need to play off a decent target man. And we don’t have one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jonnyowl said:

No point playing him if we are to play long ball, he needs it to feet.

I'd like to see him in attacking midfield behind Paterson and Rhodes, think he has the best link up play!

Most of our players would be better if the ball was played into feet, yet for so long, we’ve persisted with the aerial stuff 

• Like 1

He's one of these bizarre enigma players that's clearly a decent attacking footballer but doesn't really play anywhere except "generically forward"

He's not a Sterling-style inside left attacker, he's not an Aguero-type false 9, he's not an outright striker like Vardy, and he's not a number 10 playmaker.

Maybe in a decade they'll have invented a position on the pitch that would have been ideal for him, and we'll all look back and wish we had a peak Windass to play there and tear teams a new one. But as the game currently is... I have no idea.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, itsonmyhead said:

He’s a poor mans luxury player😂😂 you cant knock his effort though

I’m wrestling with the concept of ‘poor mans luxury’. Is it like when I save enough money to buy myself branded Pringles rather than Aldi Snackrite ‘stackers’?

• Haha 2

Guest wilyfox
10 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I’m wrestling with the concept of ‘poor mans luxury’. Is it like when I save enough money to buy myself branded Pringles rather than Aldi Snackrite ‘stackers’?

ferrero rocher and after eight mints.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Exactly my view.

A player who doesn’t really quite have an obvious position. Trouble is he’s 2 or 3 levels below Fernando.

He needs way too many chances to score, and he’s very greedy, meaning his co-striker will feed off scraps to the detriment of the team.

Overrated in his early games. Seen through him now. 

Sounds just like Forestieri to me.

lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I think wherever we play him, has to be a better option than Kachunga. JW has at least shown he has an eye for a goal (6 in 25 starts). I can't see why EK is getting game time ahead of him.

His career record is very poor, never understood the Kachunga signing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

When Josh Windass was playing up front I was saying (not from a negative view) that once we had other options or a striker, that Josh Windass would find himself out of the side completely simply because he just doesn't fit anywhere

He's most certainly not a striker. He's not prolific enough, his shots are erratic and wild.

He's not a winger - nothing like

We don't play with a number 10 and if we do it's Paterson in that role

He can't play midfield

I know I was mocked at the time for saying it but look at the moment - there's just no way he fits in, no justification for playing him over Paterson and Rhodes.

He's out in the cold as I fully expected

He's not as convincing as some fans will tell you

I don't see a way back for Josh Windass into the side

Right. Not a striker, not a winger and not central midfielder. Probably best when played behind front two floating between midfield and attack. But we don't play such formation and it makes him one of those that are not suited for formation we played whole season. Another sign of poor recruitment planing. 

1 hour ago, jonnyowl said:

No point playing him if we are to play long ball, he needs it to feet.

I'd like to see him in attacking midfield behind Paterson and Rhodes, think he has the best link up play!

Really don’t think so. Have you seen how often he wastes passes?

I might stand alone.

I still like the fact he's one of those that looks to get in behind.

I wouldn't break up Rhodes and Paterson to put him in, and still think they will prove our best chance of survival if we work the ball out wide quickly and with accuracy to Reach and the much improved Harris. (Last match we just didn't do it) 

But there are times when you have to use a different implement to skin the cat.  The defence splitting slide-rule pass to the man playing on the shoulder should never be overlooked. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

We have hardly been spoilt for choice when trying to get players to join on -12. I think most were happy with Windass and Brown in that context last summer.

Windass may end up being a impact player on the bench when we have the game in a position to counter attack. He’s much better when the ball can be played into the channel for him. 

Was just about to post this. 

If we'd not had the points deduction, we'd be on 34 points, same as Derby. 

In terms of resources and the players we ended up getting with them, don't think we did too bad. Every player will have a part to play still, especially with our luck with injuries and rotations. 

The way we have handled FFP and what that has meant for our resources and points is the glaringly obvious factor in how we have performed the past few years.