Josh Windass was never 100% convincing

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

When Josh Windass was playing up front I was saying (not from a negative view) that once we had other options or a striker, that Josh Windass would find himself out of the side completely simply because he just doesn't fit anywhere

He's most certainly not a striker. He's not prolific enough, his shots are erratic and wild.

He's not a winger - nothing like

We don't play with a number 10 and if we do it's Paterson in that role

He can't play midfield

I know I was mocked at the time for saying it but look at the moment - there's just no way he fits in, no justification for playing him over Paterson and Rhodes.

He's out in the cold as I fully expected

He's not as convincing as some fans will tell you

I don't see a way back for Josh Windass into the side

Never convinced me either, completely agree with what you say, said the same last season when he was on loan. A decent player but can't nail him down to a position in which he would perform regularly to the betterment of the team overall. 

33 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Most of the team waste passes.

Our passing is shocking!

True, but Windass is the least of our worries when it come to that aspect of our attacking play...

Harris: 75.7% passing accuracy

Windass: 75.5%

Bannan: 74.7%

Kachunga: 73.6%

Reach: 73.5%

Luongo: 71.2%

Brown: 65.4%

Rhodes: 61.6%

Paterson: 54%

6 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

True, but Windass is the least of our worries when it come to that aspect of our attacking play...

Harris: 75.7% passing accuracy

Windass: 75.5%

Bannan: 74.7%

Kachunga: 73.6%

Reach: 73.5%

Luongo: 71.2%

Brown: 65.4%

Rhodes: 61.6%

Paterson: 54%

Thats why I said in my original post that Widnass links up the play best, plays in-between the lines.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Tell you who I was never convinced about.

Andy Pearce. Absolute Sunday morning parks player.

Nicked a goal or two and became a cult hero with the 10 pints and a line set.

Remarkable. 

A cult hero as he scored a decent goal away at Forest in the cup and a goal against that lot in the space of about a week. He really wasn't very good though was he. Poor old Des, signed for us when we looked like really kicking on and went from playing along side Pearson for a few games before he got injured to playing next to Andy Pearce in the space of two seasons. 

18 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Tell you who I was never convinced about.

Andy Pearce. Absolute Sunday morning parks player.

Nicked a goal or two and became a cult hero with the 10 pints and a line set.

Remarkable. 

I hated Andy Pearce (not personally, just as a player) - replacing Pearson/Shirtliff with AP was the first time we'd consciously weakened rather than strengthened in a position since BFR arrived...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

A cult hero as he scored a decent goal away at Forest in the cup and a goal against that lot in the space of about a week. He really wasn't very good though was he. Poor old Des, signed for us when we looked like really kicking on and went from playing along side Pearson for a few games before he got injured to playing next to Andy Pearce in the space of two seasons. 

Early signs of the writing on the wall.

• Like 1

There’s always going to be odds and ends in any team with an insufficient structure and regulator managerial changes. Monk was still here when Windass was brought in, he clearly rated him and suited the style of play that Monk wanted from us. Someone else comes in and decides he isn’t suited to how they think we should play. 

Take Neil Thompson for instance, from the games I’ve seen he’s intent on us trying to get as many balls into the box as possible - a style that would suit patterson and rhodes much more than windass. 

For me, Windass with his pace is more suited to a team that sit back and try and break on the counter. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

There’s always going to be odds and ends in any team with an insufficient structure and regulator managerial changes. Monk was still here when Windass was brought in, he clearly rated him and suited the style of play that Monk wanted from us. Someone else comes in and decides he isn’t suited to how they think we should play. 

Take Neil Thompson for instance, from the games I’ve seen he’s intent on us trying to get as many balls into the box as possible - a style that would suit patterson and rhodes much more than windass. 

For me, Windass with his pace is more suited to a team that sit back and try and break on the counter. 

Exactly.

Different players will cope better under different managers.

Under Monk, Windass averaged a goal every 315 minutes, and a direct goal involvement every 209 minutes.

Under Pulis, it was a goal every 252 minutes.

Under Thompson, he started up top alongside Paterson against Middlesbrough, was quickly shunted back into an attacking midfield role before mostly featuring off the bench, and hasn't notched another goal or assist in our new setup as of yet.

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

When Josh Windass was playing up front I was saying (not from a negative view) that once we had other options or a striker, that Josh Windass would find himself out of the side completely simply because he just doesn't fit anywhere

He's most certainly not a striker. He's not prolific enough, his shots are erratic and wild.

He's not a winger - nothing like

We don't play with a number 10 and if we do it's Paterson in that role

He can't play midfield

I know I was mocked at the time for saying it but look at the moment - there's just no way he fits in, no justification for playing him over Paterson and Rhodes.

He's out in the cold as I fully expected

He's not as convincing as some fans will tell you

I don't see a way back for Josh Windass into the side

My son and I said the same things about Windass and I have said some of those things on different forums when we have been discussing our "striker" situation. We only have one recognised bone fide striker at the club and when I last mentioned this, he was not playing. He scored in our first win for donkeys years in the opener at Cardiff then got the usual ten minute outings every now and then while the coaches experimented with the converted defender/midfielder and our other attacking midfield options. If a manager or coach wants a certain type of player in a certain position they usually have specific players in mind. There are dozens of good strikers out there that all have slightly different attributes, but getting the right one in and getting them to blend in with the team is what football people do. The people that buy our players come across as professional shoppers, not football people. The kind of professional shoppers that send you stupid replacements when they cannot give you what you actually asked for, like runner beans instead of baked beans, or breadcrumbs, instead of a loaf of soft bread. Our idiotic player buying staff still go out with a scattergun approach of buying three mediocre attacking midfielders instead of getting the one good one the coach actually wants and the team actually needs. For me, Kachunga, Windass and Paterson were just panic buys and the wages of all three could have gone to one decent striker, or midfielder because playing two of them at a time weakens the team.

Apart from;- the two young goalies, maybe Westwood if he is over his bad boy spell, Lees, Iorfa, Urhoghide, Palmer (has another year), Hunt, Shaw, Bannan (extended his contract), Reach, Green (got another year with us?), I would not be too upset if we replaced any of the rest, particularly Windass, Kachunga and Paterson. We need players that are prepared to put the effort that they put into games, but we also need players with a bit more skill too. We have too many mediocre players and as a whole I think the strength of the squad has slowly been diluted over the last 4 years. We need younger versions of players like Hooper, Forestieri, Fletcher, Wallace, Pudil, Jack Hunt, Loovens, Lee, Nuhiu, Joao etc and none of the players we have brought in over the last 3 or 4 years are even as good as the older versions of the players we have let go.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Completely agree.

I don't know want the guy's position is.

Seems to be stuck between midfield and up top.

At least with Nando, you could play him wide left and watch him excel.

Might be suited to a 4-3-3, but wasting your time with him in a conventional two.

Edited by SiJ

1 hour ago, Hitcat said:

Good player, but yeah, can't see where he'd fit. Maybe a Keiran Lee type role? Dunno.

If only he had the same stamina and attitude. Unfortunately he makes too many bad decisions, although playing alongside Rhodes, he could learn a few things about which way to run when you want to get played through, for a shot on goal, or how to push a player just enough, a fraction of a second before the ball is played and before the ref and lines-men look your way! It is tough, but some days he does a few things well and then some days everything wrong and everything in between, just not enough consistency, or quality.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Kachunga, Brown and Windass have just proven to be squad fillers. Poor signings when resources were limited.

Just dont see what Kachunga brings?

Brown must have something he was told assists from last season

Windass played for rangers and did well, has a bite to him, but again.....still waiting to see something.