Swansea game called off

12 minutes ago, OriginalAlien said:

I suspect this decision was as much to do with the 'bigger picture' of needing to rest players as it was about the state of the pitch.

Ridiculous to call the club embarrassing because we've had a game postponed, as some have already done. I think we've potentially played a blinder here.

I don’t think it works like that, we don’t get to decide when we play fixtures.  If there was any suggestion that under soil heating wasn’t switched on to avoid playing on Saturday then I’m guessing there would be serious repercussions.

12 minutes ago, Brissy-owl said:

Doesnt it cost an absolute bomb to run the undersoil heating?  Think rotherham chairman was saying he refuses to have it due to the cost of running it 

Wonder if we qualify for the installation of Solar panels of the top of each stand through the greener homes grant 😀. Then we would have the cash to pay for the under soil heating and electricity bill.

• Haha 1

Just now, Steve Down South said:

I don’t think it works like that, we don’t get to decide when we play fixtures.  If there was any suggestion that under soil heating wasn’t switched on to avoid playing on Saturday then I’m guessing there would be serious repercussions.

I recall Middlesbrough coming under scrutiny about not using their thermal tent thing when it was obviously needed - conveniently when they had injuries / poor form.

Don't recall anything coming of it, but it's not really on is it?

• Like 1

That comparison with Bradford has actually really hit a nerve with me.

Bradford even made it clear that supporters who have purchased an i-follow will be be granted access to the rearranged fixture. We don’t touch on that in our statement. I really hope the club confirm this this afternoon.

Again may seem nit picking to some but it’s just the finer details of running a business properly and engaging with your customers in a productive and compassionate way. The little things we do wrong contribute to the overall sh*tshow we’ve become.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

That comparison with Bradford has actually really hit a nerve with me.

Bradford even made it clear that supporters who have purchased an i-follow will be be granted access to the rearranged fixture. We don’t touch on that in our statement. I really hope the club confirm this this afternoon.

Again may seem nit picking to some but it’s just the finer details of running a business properly and engaging with your customers in a productive and compassionate way. The little things we do wrong contribute to the overall sh*tshow we’ve become.

Yep. Were this a one off lapse then you shrug your shoulders and forget about it. Unfortunately it's indicative of a wider malaise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, OriginalAlien said:

I'd rather play more games when the conditions are less likely to cause injury.

Imagine the reaction if we played tomorrow and picked-up long injuries to a couple key players.

I'd rather play Swansea when more than half of their first choice team spent midweek chasing Man City shadows and they have also recently had very tough games at this level against Norwich and Brentford, who they played against with 10 men for 25 minutes. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I'd rather play Swansea when more than half of their first choice team spent midweek chasing Man City shadows and they have also recently had very tough games at this level against Norwich and Brentford, who they played against with 10 men for 25 minutes. 

True, and we're in reasonable form too. All of which makes me think this is incompetence / cost cutting rather than cynicism on our part.

Could it be a case of (rightly or wrongly) the club saving money on energy costs? I’d imagine cranking up the under soil heating all week would’ve solved the problem, but what’s the cost of that? I’d imagine it would have been a different story had 24k fans been expected through the gates tomorrow...

2 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

Could it be a case of (rightly or wrongly) the club saving money on energy costs? I’d imagine cranking up the under soil heating all week would’ve solved the problem, but what’s the cost of that? I’d imagine it would have been a different story had 24k fans been expected through the gates tomorrow...

Quite possibly so, but if it leads to a huge conjestion of games which has a part in our relegation then we'd surely regret it. Extreme I know but still very much a possibility.

Just now, marshy said:

Quite possibly so, but if it leads to a huge conjestion of games which has a part in our relegation then we'd surely regret it. Extreme I know but still very much a possibility.

Aye true.  

Id hope the club genuinely tried their best to sort it. But it’s just another “thing” that adds to the overall feeling we aren’t being run very well.