Swansea game called off

3 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

And, unless Sheffield has had a micro climate colder than most of the rest of the country (it hasn't) then how have other clubs managed to get their games on?

There's a long price online as to why Rotherham don't have undersoil heating.

The install cost and losses from rearranging cancelled fixtures mean the payback time would be 10 years 

I’m feeling reyt hacked off about this. Yesterday, there was the lightest covering of snow you can imagine down here in Devon. Not even deep enough to measure. Sure enough, the bin men didn’t turn up. Cue meltdown from me and full on rant at the wife (Devon lass),  to the effect that it’d tek a lot more cold and snow than this to grind things to a halt in South Yorkshire. 

Here we are on Friday afternoon and I’ve got to admit to her that tomorrow's match is off. Not because of Covid or anything justified like that. Oh no, it’s down to the chuffin' weather. To add insult to injury, the mid Devon bin men have battled the elements (?) and emptied the bins this morning. 

Humble pie for me for dinner. DC out! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mildatheart67 said:

There's a long price online as to why Rotherham don't have undersoil heating.

The install cost and losses from rearranging cancelled fixtures mean the payback time would be 10 years 

Which, I concede is exacerbated by the fact there are no paying customers presently. It would possibly have been worth clubs saying to the EFL, 'look, we have limited income, powering the undersoil heating is additional burden. Can we agree that it is kept off and fixtures rearranged if necessary?' Make it public, raise awareness of the difficulties clubs are facing currently. 

Club = "Pitch frozen - game off -  that's all - Bye then"

Our fans = "Eh? I thought we had undersoil heating?!?!? How come the pitch is frozen??"

Other fans = "Why are fans kicking off??"
Also other fans = "what more info do people need???"
Also other fans still = "why are fans kicking off??"

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

had to be a foot deep to  be called off back in the   day of when men were men ....the great ron  totally fearless

1963-12.01-v-Sheff-Wed-Midland-Foot-Annual (1).jpg

Great photo. Not seen it before.  Layne, Swan, Springett, McAnearney, Johnson. megson.  At West Brom.   Guessing 1962-3 season.   

Great to see the club taking positive steps to reduce their carbon footprint. They should be commended for their green credentials.

The fact that it kicks a difficult game into the long grass and give the squad a much needed rest is almost certainly co-incidental.

When you consider the return on investment, under soil heating is based on half a dozen games a year, over the life cycle of the equipment.

If we had fans rocking up tomorrow, we could have expected say 25k. The re-arranged game on a Wednesday in a week or so, will probably get 22k max - probably several hundred Swansea wouldn't have made the journey.

That's revenue lost - not sure if DC cares TBH