Swansea game called off

5 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Safety of the players is the issue, the referee called it correctly. Maybe one of our super journo's could have a word with the groundsman.

The reason is out there it's not a state secret FFS !   

It won’t have been the ref that called it off? Refs only go the ground on the day of the game

Did anyone catch the last quarter of Football Heaven on Friday?  I only heard the last few minutes when Dave (Barber, I think) the old, award winning groundsman at Hillsborough was calling.

In his day, not so long ago, he said the gas bill for heating the pitch was £13,000 (per day?) I think he said - that would be the old under-soil system.  He also said that, even if the pitch was fit, the match would still be called off if the toilets and fresh water outlets could not be guaranteed to work on the day.  There are probably 300 people in the grounds for each match, players, subs, staff, home club inactive players, first aid, security, groundspeople etc.  Anyone still with an outside toilet that was not frozen!!

The Club would have to call in a Referee on the EFL list to inspect, not any local Referee as was suggested above.

Anyone notice that most of the postponements were in a west to east corridor from Blackpool to Grimsby? And, just to prove it was a narrow strip of weather, Hull played, although just across the Humber from Cleethorpes, and Huddersfield played located in the shadow of the Pennines and down in the Calder Valley.

Now to IMPORTANT things and the next match!!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Swingin' Sixties said:

Did anyone catch the last quarter of Football Heaven on Friday?  I only heard the last few minutes when Dave (Barber, I think) the old, award winning groundsman at Hillsborough was calling.

In his day, not so long ago, he said the gas bill for heating the pitch was £13,000 (per day?) I think he said - that would be the old under-soil system.  He also said that, even if the pitch was fit, the match would still be called off if the toilets and fresh water outlets could not be guaranteed to work on the day.  There are probably 300 people in the grounds for each match, players, subs, staff, home club inactive players, first aid, security, groundspeople etc.  Anyone still with an outside toilet that was not frozen!!

The Club would have to call in a Referee on the EFL list to inspect, not any local Referee as was suggested above.

Anyone notice that most of the postponements were in a west to east corridor from Blackpool to Grimsby? And, just to prove it was a narrow strip of weather, Hull played, although just across the Humber from Cleethorpes, and Huddersfield played located in the shadow of the Pennines and down in the Calder Valley.

👍 thank you

Owlstalk Shop

39 minutes ago, pachyderm said:

What part of the pitch failed inspection?

From that photo I see a lot of green, healthy looking, pitch no? 

EuBrFFVXYAACTXY.jpeg.thumb.jpg.531c381d5702dfa3b111245e81132b54.jpg

Yes surrounds are icy but pitch doesn't look too bad. We've played on much worse in the past.

What gets me is we have the pitch growing lamp rigs. They throw out a lot of heat that can penetrate into the soil.

Even if the undersoil heating had packed in the heat lamps along with covers and some effort put in could have enabled the game to be played.

Many other grounds in areas with less resources got their games on. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Today will go down in SWFC history as the day that some fans were trying to convince other fans that we couldn’t play a match because it was a bit too cold

In February

On a normal February day

When we have played in lower temperatures as a standard for years 

And when next February and the temperatures are lower and we don’t call games off 

That’s what today will be forever remembered as 

It’s gonna be one of those classic moments when it will be ‘ha ha ha do you remember that day when...’

Screenshot 2021-02-14 at 12.35.22.jpg

Can all those guilty of trying to convince yesterday was in any way different to any other February day we've played on please explain this article where the Star asked the club who have explained (now - when it's too late) that the game was called off because the Boiler is bust and the undersoil heating isnt' working?)

Apologies WILL be accepted BTW - just don't try doing that convincing other people of something you know isn't true ever again

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Absolute total silence now from those saying that fans saying the boiler/undersoil heating had broken

Absolute total silence now from those fans saying that there's a special microclimate in Sheffield that meant that we had to call the game off whilst every other Championship club who had working undersoil heating played their games

Absolute total silence
What a shock

Every single time

Owlstalk Shop

11 hours ago, Swingin' Sixties said:

Misunderstanding. I didn't say any local referee. I said any local League referee. League as opposed to junior or non league.

So I listened back to the Dave Barber interview of the 12th Feb. Very informative as ever. Spent  school Days with him and we played football together beside the Dam House Cafe then rather than function room. Also played footy on the Crookesmoor Rec. Dave loved his football but rarely came out of goal, such a good keeper, I think he trialed with a few clubs.

It was good to hear him from Fridays RSFH show but was so sad to hear him struggling with his breathing. Suffered PTSD following that fateful Semi-Final and I Haven't seen him since the day I hung my shirt at the Leppings lane gates as an epitaph. Daves eyes were tearful that day and I knew it effected him deeply.

If you read this Dave, or someone passes it on to you your goal keeping aspirations may not have been fulfilled but no one can take away the National awards as Groundsman of the year. I miss the post match chats we had at pitch side. Best Wishes Dave ! Thanks for keeping our pitch Tip Top.    

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Absolute total silence now from those saying that fans saying the boiler/undersoil heating had broken

Absolute total silence now from those fans saying that there's a special microclimate in Sheffield that meant that we had to call the game off whilst every other Championship club who had working undersoil heating played their games

Absolute total silence
What a shock

Every single time

It says in the report that the game would still have been in jeopardy 

Just found this on twitter from WOTMT  explains a lot. 

Helpful thread from Watford's groundsman on issues regarding pitches...

@tingers_123

Just wanted to clear something up as I have received a lot of messages on the subject of other teams pitches as well as having seen a lot of other tweets on the same subject

Edited by darra