Swansea game called off

1 hour ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Surely it was reinstalled when the pitch was sorted, what 5 years ago?

Only the pitch pipe work was renewed. The boiler was installed in 1991and has been on the blink for a while now. It’s finally gone bang before the Wycombe game hence frost sheets were used to get that game on! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Guest mrbluesky
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Can those fans saying that undersoil heating only works up to a certain temperature tell us what the temperature it works up to?

It's been colder than this, the pitch was in an awful state against Wycombe, it doesn't take a genius to work out what's happened.

For people to say it's too cold is laughable.

3 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Only the pitch pipe work was renewed. The boiler was installed in 1991and has been on the blink for a while now. It’s finally gone bang before the Wycombe game hence frost sheets were used to get that game on! 

I don't think there's any need to use any kind of genuine information on here. Someone start a new thread slating Chansiri for not buying a new boiler sooner.

3 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Genuinely not seen any of that. 

My guess he has to have the final say about turning it on? From what I know, he pretty much as the final say on everything, no matter how minor.

It's on a wireless stat and he's took it to thailand with him

Guest mrbluesky
3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

That is poor as they have a new stadium, could understand if it was at Millmoor.

They don't have undersoil heating.

My friend is head groundsman at a championship club,when talking to him a few years ago just before we played them in a cold spell.he said its not that simple as just switching on and off.It's very expensive,approx 2 grand a day,but you can't just switch it on and that's it.For a start the powers that be have to be consulted so you aren't wasting brass and its really needed. When there is a really cold spell it has to be on for days .If there is a big wind chill coming through the ground it may not stop these areas from freezing so you can have just a few icy patches,refs hate these more than anything as they would also freeze quicker as temperature drops,so if he then has to abandon he won't take the risk.

There are a lot of other things that come up as well but I can't remember them with great detail,apparently when you switch it off if you don't need it for a while and it freezes it damages the grass,something to do with making it brittle.

Ours might be bust or DC can't afford it but those some off the reasons why its not always the perfect answer.

4pm =5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Do all the people moaning realise it costs over £100 per day to have the undersoil heating on ?

If you want a warm pitch then ticket prices need to go up.

Not what you said here, must be the high price of gas in Scotland then.

Mr  Farrell has admitted that the use of undersoil heating can leave clubs facing a bill of up to £10,000 - making it worthless to SFL clubs.
With the winter weather proving an annual problem for Scottish football clubs are often left searching for ways to ensure their matches go ahead.
But while undersoil heating systems are a pre-requisite for entry into the SPL, the Morton groundsman admits the cost is too high for many SFL clubs.
He said: "The trouble with undersoil heating is that it costs so much money to run. It's £3,500 for two days fuel for undersoil heating so you imagine that over a week if you've got an important game on.
"You're talking the best part of £10,000 and in the First Division clubs aren't going to get that, are they?

Guest mrbluesky
3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Is it considered bashing the club if you think it’s ridiculous at Championship level we’ve had to call this one off?

I know it’s freezing outside but it’s not unusual for this time of year. 

I know Rotherham was called off but I’d rather not be lumped in with Rotherham after DC spent all that money on a brand new pitch

Rotherham doesn't have undersoil heating

9 minutes ago, Robbo said:

That's interesting - you wouldn't expect to still be operating a boiler that's 30 yrs old. 

Seems our outlay on the ground has been abysmal for several decades now. Save a period leading up to the Euros 96, Hillsborough's treated like a non-league ground.

It's not just DC, MM oversaw the embarrassment of calling off a L1 game because the toliet pipes froze and burst. It's like the 1950s in parts of the ground.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Robbo said:

10 minutes ago, Retired Owls Fan said:

I don't think there's any need to use any kind of genuine information on here. Someone start a new thread slating Chansiri for not buying a new boiler sooner.

Who'd have thought that a 30-year old boiler might need some work on it! 

I start work at between 5am to 6 am drive past Hillsboro most days up till few months ago those lights were on ( the bright orange ones that light up the entire  inside of the ground) I know there on to keep the pitch in condition, but they haven’t been on half as much as they used to be for quite a while ! Don’t know if anyone posted this already as not read the entire thread but looks defo like cost cutting to me .

Bad for this to be happening in the championship and hasn’t for years. But we are clearly not spending on the pitch during a period of no income and we are not the only ones if you look at pitches up and down the country. 

I suspect clubs might even do this to make a bit of a point to the authorities making them play during the pandemic generally.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Calling the game off because the pitch is frozen is one thing

But you do have to ask why not include the actual reason in the announcement? Would stop all the rumours, guesses and bad feeling instantly if they said what had caused it given we have undersoil heating and a Desso pitch?

SUCH BAD BAD BAD PR - AGAIN

Exactly this - we seem to lurch from bad PR to bad PR competently enough.

About the only thing we do well ...