Form Table Since Thompson Took Over

6 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I reckon we should just have a series of consecutive caretakers on 10 game contracts.

Maximize the honeymoon periods, keeps it fresh and keeps players on their toes. Imagine being an opposite, you couldn’t prepare.

You could get rid of season tickets and sell them in 10 game bundles.

The Thompson bundle

The Weaver bundle

The Bullen bundle 

The Chansiri bundle

etc etc

It’s the future, I’m sure of it.

DC

As long as we don’t bring Pulis back for 10 games

35 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Coleman incoming tomorrow

lol

Not even in jest, Big D.

lol

Which is why we need to keep winning.

If Thompson falters, then that nightmare could very well become a reality.

He's Paxo's choice, and Paxo is not to be denied.

Re92f92f92202979eecc2dacf54a4af6a.png

I honestly think that sometimes, when managers have such a distinct style of play, it doesn't work.  You have to have the players to play to that style.  Pullis failed because our squad wasn't anything like a Pullis squad.  It all fell apart for Monk once he started to use his ideas rather than his predecessors.

Sometimes simplicity is best.  Look what you have available and play in a way that suits the group you have.  Obviously Thompson knows a lot of these players very well.  Knows the youngsters very well too.

Football is a simple game.  Move the ball quickly, get the ball into wide areas, get the ball in the box..... that suits most squads.  Being a possession team, or an effective long ball team, requires very specific player requirements.

I think he's simply told them to  keep it simple and battle.  And so far it's working.  Long may it continue.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Kraschenbern said:

I honestly think that sometimes, when managers have such a distinct style of play, it doesn't work.  You have to have the players to play to that style.  Pullis failed because our squad wasn't anything like a Pullis squad.  It all fell apart for Monk once he started to use his ideas rather than his predecessors.

Sometimes simplicity is best.  Look what you have available and play in a way that suits the group you have.  Obviously Thompson knows a lot of these players very well.  Knows the youngsters very well too.

Football is a simple game.  Move the ball quickly, get the ball into wide areas, get the ball in the box..... that suits most squads.  Being a possession team, or an effective long ball team, requires very specific player requirements.

I think he's simply told them to  keep it simple and battle.  And so far it's working.  Long may it continue.

yeah it's a really good point and it is a real issue when these types of managers don't have money to spend and the ability to shape the squad over 2 or 3 windows.

I guess the issue with Thompson might be, how long does he hold his nerve with certain players when we get a few bad results on the spin and also how does he set up tactically after a few defeats.  That is where Monk bottled it, he lost his nerve with dropping players and a more negative approach when the chips were down. 

We still need to score more goals and if NT finds the answer to that then we should be ok.  I back our defence to deliver enough clean sheets even with a more open approach.

• Like 2

I think also when you consider the opposition too, it’s even more impressive. 
Middlesbrough, Derby, Preston & Bournemouth. 3 top half teams and 1 scrapping against relegation. 
He knows the squad inside out, he’s getting results, they’re all playing for him. He has to keep the job till the end of the season. 

11 hours ago, Spondon Owl said:

The concerning part of the table is that those around us have picked up some form. We need a few teams to absolutely nosedive.

Long way to go and I think we'll find some of the teams who consider themselves safe at the moment will feel differently in few more games 

It’s been a MUCH needed good run of form. Usually you’d get a run like that and find yourself marching up the table. Seeing as many of the other clubs down near us are in decent runs too we still find ourself in the relegation zone. Hopefully we can be injury free for a while and start to claw back against some of the clubs above us. I’d like to think Birmingham are on a dodgy run and could replace us.

Did anyone else clock the triple substitution he made in the 78th minute?

<-- Palmer, Urhoghide & Joey

--> Harris, Luongo & Dunkley

Two defenders and a holding MF off, attack minded player in Harris and less negative MF in Luongo on. Effectively then this would be known as 'going for it', and he was right as Bournemouth were there for the taking. And it paid off, Harris' cross for the winner!

Whisper this quietly but I think NT is doing a good job...

• Like 1

Just now, Marc_Degryse said:

Did anyone else clock the triple substitution he made in the 78th minute?

<-- Palmer, Urhoghide & Joey

--> Harris, Luongo & Dunkley

Two defenders and a holding MF off, attack minded player in Harris and less negative MF in Luongo on. Effectively then this would be known as 'going for it', and he was right as Bournemouth were there for the taking. And it paid off, Harris' cross for the winner!

Whisper this quietly but I think NT is doing a good job...

At the time I was like 'Oh no... this triple sub thing could stop our momentum and lose us the game'

lol

Owlstalk Shop