Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

9 minutes ago, Minton said:

We didn't have a functioning one until DC came in...

so in the 6 seasons since, what has the financial return plus the first team appearances return been? 

Just now, kirksandallowl said:

The fact the club offered him a contract as soon as it became clear he could possibly make the grade says the have tried, unfortunately there is no loyalty in football once the agents get involved it is all about money. 

can you imagine the meltdown on here if we had signed him on £10k a week 3 year deal after one good carabao cup game only for him never to play in the first team again. 

I guess we’d not know what he was on, but the time to have done it would be when he was a young academy player and had yet to play a game. Just offer him another year on similar terms and then it gives that leeway. Our approach has been more risky ie see how he does first. It was similar with Penney.

A lot are ignoring the obvious lack of payback to the staff who have worked with him. You’d want the Haslams; Thompson’s etc to be able to point to a player that they brought through and earnt the club good money after a break through. They deserve it regardless of ownership. No one begrudges a young player a fair move for all parties but not a sneak out the back door.

8 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Might be an employee but that employees contract is also an asset of the business.

Don't know many other businesses who'd let a potential revenue generating asset go for nothing. They wouldn't be in business for long if they did.

All employees are an asset. All employees contribute to the profit of a business (cost or revenue. Employees come and go every day. 
IMO SWFC is being significantly damaged  under DC stewardship but Shaws decision to join Celtic is a mere distraction from the bigger issues. 

17 minutes ago, Minton said:

United haven't sold a player they've developed since Ramsdale, Calvert-Lewin and Che Adams in 16/17 (Brooks doesn't count, they signed him from Man City) and they got a grand total of £4.9m for all 3. 

I think you are missing the point that I am making. Of course the Brooks money counts, ok they signed him up at 18 put him on a contract for 3 years and bingo Bournemouth have to pay 11.5 million for his registration, so that plus the other 5 million you have mention is 16.5 million brought in for potential.

You don't have to go much further back for the money they received for Maguire, Slew, Nuaghton and Walker. It's that that kept them afloat for many years.

Guest hirstysfags
1 minute ago, Burnsie said:

You sound like a fully grown adult.... I hope that is not the case?

Shaw needs to remember it's a job at the end of the day and not one that lasts until he's in his 60s. This place is toxic.....get yourself off to Celtic if needs be.

On paper it’s a good move to a bigger club but it’s not great for his development IMO. Celtic’s overall record of improving players at his age is poor.

Best of luck to him but I give it 12-18 months and he’ll be on loan at St Mirren or someone equally pish. And he won’t be playing in Europe.

Edited by edinburghowl

You really have to ask, how is it possible for so many bad decisions to be made at the club?

When we actually have a decent youngster come through we let him go, probably to be replaced by a less-committed, higher paid player commanding a fee. DC has lost a fortune owning the club and it's easy to see why. 

12 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I don’t think anyone saw this coming, ideally he would’ve been signed on another year before he made a debut if he was part of Monks plans.

Club should tie him down to protect themselves. 

But whilst I am clearly in the minority, I think he owes us the club (regardless of what people think of the owner) for the years in the academy, professional opportunity and leaving for a few hundred thousand at the first whiff of interest would leave a bitter taste for me. None of this self depreciating “get yourself away ASAP” rubbish is appropriate in my view.

Well said and I agree with you mate.

Bottom line is this is the same media story being recycled. A bit like Cook had turned down a 4 month contract to manage us, repeated by several outlets over the period of a week.

Nothing has been confirmed. I believe BOTH the player and his agent will want him to stay here.  I also think the club will offer him a terrific contract. If Celtic have offered something stratospheric and he does opt to go there, so be it. You roll the dice and take your chances.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

so in the 6 seasons since, what has the financial return plus the first team appearances return been? 

Well, we were national u18 champions and we've got Shaw, Waldock, Hughes, Hunt, Brennan, Galvin, Thompson and Rice who have all played minutes this season. 

So Bannan has got offered a new deal, probably a 2 year deal, probably at least £20k a week. In 2 years Bannan will be worth less than a million.

Shaw is probably on less than £5k a week, but if he keeps playing and improving he could be worth £10m with the premium on young English players, add to that he could develop into a box to box midfielder.

The next 2 season Shaw costs less £500k, the next two season of Bannan he could cost £2m.

Bannan will resign the deal, but Shaw won't have been offered anywhere near £5k we lose to Celtic for probably about £300k compensation fee.

The false economy of the DC reign, he does not value youth players never has never will. May as well shut the academy now and save some money.