Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

22 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Europe for Celtic is no big deal, it's like saying it would be a good idea to join TNS as they're in Europe every year...

Currently he would not be near that 1st team anyway, and that is a poor Celtic side.

SPL is championship standard at best, and the bottom sides lower than that.  No reason why he wouldn’t get 1st team games for Celtic if he’s playing regular championship games for us.

• Haha 1

Just now, Big Malc said:

SPL is championship standard at best, and the bottom sides lower than that.  No reason why he wouldn’t get 1st team games for Celtic if he’s playing regular championship games for us.

Celtic/Rangers are low end Premier league I would say so that's why I reckon he would struggle to get in the side. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Nostalgic Owl said:

I think the issue is we didnt offer a contract so we get no fee and no sell on fee in future.

While we are ******** broke and staring into abyss.

And the fact we dont learn lessons.

Even if Shaw doesnt become a world beater the inevitable fizz up is infuriating.

If he was or it is demonstrated we were in the process of offering an improved deal then than the one he’s on we’d be sue compensation. But given Scotland is another country the amount is minimal whereas if he moved to say Liverpool they’d probably have to pay us a reasonable fee.

5 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

i don’t think the plan was to go to Belgium it was a back door to get out of the circus as we all knew. 
pits clear to see it’s the same problem time and again, as sally said it’s irrelevant if he ends up good or not it was the same with Clare. 
I just found it incredibly sad that our fan base who rightly so worshipped the best striker of at least the last 40 years took such a dim view of him protecting his son against our owner. 
when people can now clearly see the behaviour at the club I am hoping some can at least see him again for what he was. A Wednesday legend. 

I think you can tell from my user name that I have always been a big fan of Hirst but seeing the best way of protecting his son as taking a course that involved a year in the Belgian second division wasn't something I was comfortable with. 

3 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

It was you who compared this to the Hirst saga.

No I’m comparing our inability to keep hold of our brightest young prospects. 

Don’t give a crap what they end up doing. More concerned we continue to let players run down their contract with no proactive thinking or forward planning.

We had 8 first team players out of contract playing the other night.

6 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yeh that is why I don't think it should be compared to Hirst. We've seen far more from Shaw than we ever did Hirst. I side with DC on the Hirst issue, however I am not really sure what's happening on this one I sense that Chansiri is more to blame. Us losing Shaw is not justification that Chansiri was wrong on Hirst... 2 different situations. 

DC will have no idea about how good our young prospects are. Surely it's the responsibility of the coaching staff to be pushing for better contracts for any young starlet. Maybe they have and DC said xxxx off, we don't know.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

There are 2 choices when signing an out of contract u23 player. Either the clubs agree a fee (including future clauses) or it goes to a tribunal and they determine a fee and clauses. 

It's possible we have chosen the former after dealing with a tribunal with Hirst.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Are those players out of contract any good? 

Why are you trying to defend our brightest prospect in years and a boyhood Wednesday fan running down his contract which means the club won’t get a transfer fee from him? 

History is repeating just like with Hirst and just like with Clare.

Just like the fact the whole first team is not getting paid on time and is also out of contract while we’re fighting for our lives to stay in the division.

What are you trying to defend here? 

I hope not for Shaws career.

The Rovrum fans do not rate Hirst at all.

Where is Clare playing these days.?

1 minute ago, Minton said:

There are 2 choices when signing an out of contract u23 player. Either the clubs agree a fee (including future clauses) or it goes to a tribunal and they determine a fee and clauses. 

It's possible we have chosen the former after dealing with a tribunal with Hirst.

Fair enough. I’m just going on what the article states - I’m assuming the reporter has inside knowledge and has fact checked it. He states that the fee will only be 300k. 

Don't blame the kid one bit. He's a young lad with his whole career in front of him. I hope he makes it and does well. 

You could go on about the poo show we are as to why he hasn't signed. 

Was it a p1ss poor deal? was he made aware of Celtic interest within last few days?

One thing is for certain, it should not have been left this long.

Don't suppose we will ever get to know.

Good luck lad.

Made the right decision.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I agree, they're a bit funny, when you look at their players you think it's Championship level but then European results suggest lower end Premier league.

But of the only two decent sides in the league, he’s playing for one of them.  If he didn’t start a derby that wouldn’t be surprising, but it wouldn’t be a step up playing against the bottom half sides.

13 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

I think we fizzed up the Hirst situation and we've fizzed up this situation. Regardless of how Hirst has done since

Harsh lessons should have been learned the first time around, the same thing happening second and third times is just pure incompetency and negligence.

If this happened at a proper business, they'd be a root and stem investigation into the cause and policies put in place to make sure it doesn't happen again

A talented but junior employee chooses to leave a £25m company and you really think it would warrant a root and branch investigation? Come on mate. The club is a mess but at least let us supporters try and stay real in the midst of the madness. 

• Like 2

Guest Mcguigan
7 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Celtic/Rangers are low end Premier league I would say so that's why I reckon he would struggle to get in the side. 

Josh Windass was a star player for Rangers.

Its a Championship level league.

Just now, Big Malc said:

But of the only two decent sides in the league, he’s playing for one of them.  If he didn’t start a derby that wouldn’t be surprising, but it wouldn’t be a step up playing against the bottom half sides.

I don't think he does play for them, I think we are over exaggerating his level. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1