Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

Good luck to him. I really hope he makes it big. Very rarely players we buy or develop can make it. Joao being the main and most recent example. The problem with us is we fail to get value from them to move us on. To let a young players contract run down like that is scandalous.

1 minute ago, Minton said:

The club will get a fee for him and we will get a sell-on clause inserted, along with future solidarity payments for any transfer he makes before he turns 23. 

We offered him a deal, Celtic have offered him a better one. I fail to see how this is unprofessional. People are butthurt because we might be losing a decent prospect, but it's hardly unusual in football and we aren't the only club in this situation. 

The fee will be 300k. If he doesn’t move by the time he’s 23 we don’t get anything.

His potential could be worth millions. To avoid this happen well run clubs make sure he’s in contract when he gets promoted to the first team to ensure this kind of thing doesn’t happen. 

We’ve failed yet again.

• Like 3

I hope the lad does well. The club have clearly underestimated him and misjudged his potential. However he could have been a hero at his home town club and it looks like he has chosen not to be. I do have some criticism of him, he could have signed and allowed the club who invested time and energy into him for over a decade to get a fair fee. Eze did this and will therefore always be a hero at QPR, he also won’t have burnt his boats with them if it all goes wrong at Palace. Likewise it was only a few weeks ago Shaw said playing for Wednesday was a dream come true, clearly Celtic is a bigger dream come true. I also assume he feels this is the point of his maximum bargaining power.

I take this all back if we haven’t offered him a contract or if it is clearly derisory. Hope we get Ciaran Brennan signed up soon.  I hope Shaw decides to stay with Wednesday. I know this won’t be a popular view.

• Like 2

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

The fee will be 300k. If he doesn’t move by the time he’s 23 we don’t get anything.

His potential could be worth millions. To avoid this happen well run clubs make sure he’s in contract when he gets promoted to the first team to ensure this kind of thing doesn’t happen. 

We’ve failed yet again.

Why will the fee be £300k?

4 minutes ago, the third man said:

So that's him not playing for the rest of the season, another player out of the squad

Yup, tbh it would make more sense for celtic to pay up his contract and go straight there. 

I'd be astonished if he was allowed to play again for us, should he sign a deal elsewhere. 

Good luck to the lad I say and hope he gets himself out of here and makes a career for himself. 

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I was wrong to criticise them the way I did. It’s become very apparent why they made the decision they did - and whether George goes on to fulfil his potential he definitely did the right thing by getting out. 

Yep.................................if he had stayed here he would have had no chance of warming Rotherham's bench............................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

The thing is, Shaw is actually a first team squad member and proved quite useful. 

It can be argued of course there are better players out there.

But they cost money. 

And...

Yeh that is why I don't think it should be compared to Hirst. We've seen far more from Shaw than we ever did Hirst. I side with DC on the Hirst issue, however I am not really sure what's happening on this one I sense that Chansiri is more to blame. Us losing Shaw is not justification that Chansiri was wrong on Hirst... 2 different situations. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maddogbob said:

Yup, tbh it would make more sense for celtic to pay up his contract and go straight there. 

I'd be astonished if he was allowed to play again for us, should he sign a deal elsewhere. 

Of course he won't be allowed. DC will throw his usual childish tantrum and banish the lad.

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Because it’s a pre contract agreement. This is what the article is stating. Because he’s moving to Scotland it would be less than what it was if he was moving to an English team. 

If it's a pre-contract agreement then it's a transfer, they would have to go to a tribunal if it's just a case of signing him on contract expiry.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We’ve failed yet again.

All fact checked I presume. 

when thompson did his pre match yesterday he was avoiding questions and getting a bit annoyed ,understandably , he has worked with these young players and he used the comment not been on the grass regards shaw , he could already have been told to isolate him from the squad like hirst