Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

10 minutes ago, Minton said:

The club will get a fee for him and we will get a sell-on clause inserted, along with future solidarity payments for any transfer he makes before he turns 23. 

We offered him a deal, Celtic have offered him a better one. I fail to see how this is unprofessional. People are butthurt because we might be losing a decent prospect, but it's hardly unusual in football and we aren't the only club in this situation. 

For me the thing that is annoying as that for very little cost in the big scheme of things players with potential should be offered better contracts before the last 6 months of their contract.

United do it all the time and it is the revenue they generate from the youngsters with potential that kept them going for years.

People may say well look at George Hirst, he hasn't made it yet. Agree but if we had him tied down we could have then sold him 2 years ago for at least a couple of million, imagine how valuable that money would have been. Not only for paying wages etc but also for our FFP situation.

We on the other hand would rather spend that money on a loan player who is just back from long term injury as all we ever do is look for the quick fix.

5 years and we have learned nothing on how a club the size of Wednesday need to operate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2roland2 said:

I think it was the only way around it for him, obv this is just my view. Problem is it’s quite clear from the turnover of staff and also players leaving like this that somebody has a problem in negotiating without falling out with folk. 

sad situation all round because this doesn’t seem to have an end to this happening with either youngsters, senior players and or staff. 

He could have gone directly to Leicester and they would have to have paid a tribunal fee, which would have been a relative drop in the ocean for a club in their position but all conspired to avoid that fee. 

Like I said before, nobody came out of that smelling of roses.

Said when Shaw's proposed move came to light that very little we have done in recent years in terms of retaining development players, recruiting players and moving players on at an optimal time has been successful.  

1 minute ago, Mcguigan said:

Josh Windass was a star player for Rangers.

Its a Championship level league.

The league is lower than Championship level, Celtic and Rangers are currently low end Premier League, that's why they win virtually all of their games. Windass was a much better player back then but it was still when Rangers were coming back up. He wouldn't get in the Rangers side now for instance.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

F*** off Chansiri, just f*** off.

Good luck Liam in your future career and please come back at some point.

How do you know it's Chanseri's fault in this situation? No longer a fan of his myself but tired of the assumptions many are jumping to so they can continue the DCs a xxxxxxx narrative.

• Like 2

part of me thinks that it was inevitable and would have left to someone - even Rotherham for Championship football next season.

Part of me thinks the club have not done anywhere near enough to get him signed up and make him our savior. Instead we let him drift away and bring back a guy who couldn't get a game in the Maltese league.

Good luck to Liam if this goes through. He'll always be an Owl and probably carve out a very good career. I certainly think he's the best prospect we've brought through in decades.

9 minutes ago, Big Malc said:

That’s arguable, but the rest of the opposition are dross.  

The opposition are probably League One standard but Celtic and Rangers are certainly above our current standard. He is unlikely to break into the Celtic side immediately, otherwise they would look to pay a nominal fee for him now. Even the Celtic sites that broke this story describe it as a signing for the future, they aren't expecting him to be a squad regular straight away. 

Just now, A E Neuman NYowl said:

For me the thing that is annoying as that for very little cost in the big scheme of things players with potential should be offered better contracts before the last 6 months of their contract.

United do it all the time and it is the revenue they generate from the youngsters with potential that kept them going for years.

People may say well look at George Hirst, he hasn't made it yet. Agree but if we had him tied down we could have then sold him 2 years ago for at least a couple of million, imagine how valuable that money would have been. Not only for paying wages etc but also for our FFP situation.

We on the other hand would rather spend that money on a loan player who is just back from long term injury as all we ever do is look for the quick fix.

5 years and we have learned nothing on how a club the size of Wednesday need to operate.

United haven't sold a player they've developed since Ramsdale, Calvert-Lewin and Che Adams in 16/17 (Brooks doesn't count, they signed him from Man City) and they got a grand total of £4.9m for all 3. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

The opposition are probably League One standard but Celtic and Rangers are certainly above our current standard. He is unlikely to break into the Celtic side immediately, otherwise they would look to pay a nominal fee for him now. Even the Celtic sites that broke this story describe it as a signing for the future, they aren't expecting him to be a squad regular straight away. 

Celtic are only doing what we should have been doing for the last 40 years.

Bring in young players, develop them and sell them on.

Just now, Animis said:

part of me thinks that it was inevitable and would have left to someone - even Rotherham for Championship football next season.

Part of me thinks the club have not done anywhere near enough to get him signed up and make him our savior. Instead we let him drift away and bring back a guy who couldn't get a game in the Maltese league.

Good luck to Liam if this goes through. He'll always be an Owl and probably carve out a very good career. I certainly think he's the best prospect we've brought through in decades.

Me too. Was looking forward to him developing in our first team and turning into a top rate player. 

We eventually produce something from the youth set up who has the potential to excite, and we immediately let him go. Meantime, we rely on signing players like Pelupessy.

Not got a bleeding clue. And that’s why I’m pished off.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

No I’m comparing our inability to keep hold of our brightest young prospects. 

Don’t give a crap what they end up doing. More concerned we continue to let players run down their contract with no proactive thinking or forward planning.

We had 8 first team players out of contract playing the other night.

I still don't think the Hirst saga is relevant, that was more about the amount of money involved.

3 minutes ago, Brommers said:

How do you know it's Chanseri's fault in this situation? No longer a fan of his myself but tired of the assumptions many are jumping to so they can continue the DCs a xxxxxxx narrative.

Lets see if he is in the squad this afternoon.

A mysterious shoulder injury that wasn't reported previously has kept him out since rumours of a move elsewhere and the failure to sign a new contract with us came to light.

Maybe he has been given the cold shoulder like others have in the past. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Yeah, I’m not suggesting he’s at at the same standard of Celtic’s 1st team regulars, but if they want to stick him in against lower SPL sides to develop he wouldn’t be facing anything above the level he’s already played at with us, and he’d have better team-mates around him.  He could be brought through, I don’t think he would just go straight into the reserves for a year and then be loaned out.

2 minutes ago, Minton said:

United haven't sold a player they've developed since Ramsdale, Calvert-Lewin and Che Adams in 16/17 (Brooks doesn't count, they signed him from Man City) and they got a grand total of £4.9m for all 3. 

What is the grand total of our income from development squad sales in the past decade?

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Lets see if he is in the squad this afternoon.

A mysterious shoulder injury that wasn't reported previously has kept him out since rumours of a move elsewhere and the failure to sign a new contract with us came to light.

Maybe he has been given the cold shoulder like others have in the past. 

More assumptions.