Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

1 minute ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Well Donnarumma has refused to sign a new contract at Milan as he wants to leave, and I suppose you know the individual status of every player on that list - or are you just making a sweeping statements to try and prove a ridiculous point?

Do you know the individual status of Shaw, or were you just making a baseless statement to try and prove a ridiculous point?

You're saying we're unprofessional and making out like we're the only club with players in the last 6 months of their deal, when that is far from the case.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Minton said:

Yeah, because there are absolutely no u23 players with 6 months left on their contracts available at other clubs...

Screenshot_20210130-122759_Chrome.jpg

You know whether a youngster at RB for royal Antwerp has broken through the first team, you must be familiar with Zenit St Petersburghs team as well then?

I don’t think the point was that it doesn’t happen. The point was that it’s happened to us again and the lad has huge potential 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Minton said:

Do you know the individual status of Shaw, or were you just making a baseless statement to try and prove a ridiculous point?

You're saying we're unprofessional and making out like we're the only club with players in the last 6 months of their deal, when that is far from the case.

We are unprofessional. Just type the SWFC hashtag into Twitter. 

We are an embarrassment. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

There is literally one Championship club on this list you’ve provided mate.

The majority of clubs on that list you don’t have a clue who they are. It’s not comparable at all.

Plus you can’t compare the transfer policy of Ajax, Barcelona and Arsenal with Sheffield Wednesday. Each situation is different.

That was page one, there are loads of players from the championship in that list.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/transfers/endendevertraege/statistik?plus=0&jahr=2021&ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=alle&altersklasse=u23&land_id=0&yt0=Show#

Haven't read the full thread, only the first page, so apologies if similar posts exist. 

As disappointing as it is to see a potentially talented player leave, as ever we don't know the full details and lots of assumptions being made.

I'd be amazed if he hasn't been offered a new deal. So on this assumption, Celtic have been able to offer a better deal (not a big surprise given our current financial situation), or the lad fancies the opportunity of playing for a giant of a club that win silverware just about every season, pack in 50,000 every home game and play in Europe every season. Given we will likely be in League 1 next season it's hardly a tough decision even for a fan of the club.

At this stage we don't know what fee has been or will be agreed, we may even get a sell on fee. The club are over a barrel as his contract is up this summer so could walk away and we'd be left with a fee set by tribunal which are usually not great. 

Why was his contract allowed to run down? Again, we don't know but has he honestly show prior to a couple of months ago that he would be a regular first team player? I don't know but suspect not. So wouldn't be unusual to have such players on shorter deals. If he had looked like a future star in training, why haven't the coaches been pushing for the club to improve his deal months ago (assuming they haven't).

He does look promising but there's no guarantee he will kick on (I truly hope he does) and we all know how quickly the Hillsborough faithful can turn against our own players.

Finally, there have been countless posts in recent times bemoaning we never sell any players, no doubt some of those same posters moaning we are selling Shaw. I know DC is making a reyt xxxxxx of running our club but maybe some of the criticism coming his way on this one are unjustified, time will tell no doubt.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Minton said:

Yes mate, he's just agreed personal terms with Celtic after not signing one for us

Unless you know why every player on the list you posted is in the last 6 months of their contact, then it was a pointless exercise in posting it.

Edited by Gob_Bluth
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ANDY said:

Seriously. Can anyone blame the kid. 

anyone of us would do the same. 

the place where you’re currently working is on a downward spiral. Wages aren’t being paid. Morale is lower than a snakes balls. 

another company offers you a position. More money. Better prospects. 

it’s a no brainier. 

Well hes going to another club thats as bad as its ever been.

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I agree on the playing regularly front but this is something he will have discussed. Maybe they will loan him out to a club that doesn't play depressing football with depressing results every week, perhaps a team with a manager and a defined way of playing that will suit his game.

Maybe so but I think playing for your own club with all those fans behind you is much better than going to St Johnstone on loan... we will see anyway... I am still hopeful he will see the sense in saying at Wednesday

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Minton said:

Yeah, because there are absolutely no u23 players with 6 months left on their contracts available at other clubs...

Screenshot_20210130-122759_Chrome.jpg

Poor comparison.

For example, at the top of your list, Donnarumma is on £100K a week at Milan, they have not agreed a new deal as he is asking for much much more. 

When he was a kid they did tie him down to a long contract.

Just now, Brommers said:

Haven't read the full thread, only the first page, so apologies if similar posts exist. 

As disappointing as it is to see a potentially talented player leave, as ever we don't know the full details and lots of assumptions being made.

I'd be amazed if he hasn't been offered a new deal. So on this assumption, Celtic have been able to offer a better deal (not a big surprise given our current financial situation), or the lad fancies the opportunity of playing for a giant of a club that win silverware just about every season, pack in 50,000 every home game and play in Europe every season. Given we will likely be in League 1 next season it's hardly a tough decision even for a fan of the club.

At this stage we don't know what fee has been or will be agreed, we may even get a sell on fee. The club are over a barrel as his contract is up this summer so could walk away and we'd be left with a fee set by tribunal which are usually not great. 

Why was his contract allowed to run down? Again, we don't know but has he honestly show prior to a couple of months ago that he would be a regular first team player? I don't know but suspect not. So wouldn't be unusual to have such players on shorter deals. If he had looked like a future star in training, why haven't the coaches been pushing for the club to improve his deal months ago (assuming they haven't).

He does look promising but there's no guarantee he will kick on (I truly hope he does) and we all know how quickly the Hillsborough faithful can turn against our own players.

Finally, there have been countless posts in recent times bemoaning we never sell any players, no doubt some of those same posters moaning we are selling Shaw. I know DC is making a reyt xxxxxx of running our club but maybe some of the criticism coming his way on this one are unjustified, time will tell no doubt.

Lots of assumptions?  It was only a few weeks back the kid was declaring his love for the club and was eager to sign. 

So what do you honestly think has gone wrong, given everything we know about the club and how DC operates ? 

2 minutes ago, Minton said:

Are those players out of contract any good? 

Why are you trying to defend our brightest prospect in years and a boyhood Wednesday fan running down his contract which means the club won’t get a transfer fee from him? 

History is repeating just like with Hirst and just like with Clare.

Just like the fact the whole first team is not getting paid on time and is also out of contract while we’re fighting for our lives to stay in the division.

What are you trying to defend here? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2roland2 said:

funnily enough was just about to gauge opinion on what the people who were angry about George Hirst feel now. 
this is a repetitive theme and the players who are leaving imo were never to blame. 

I hope people are changing their minds because both George and even more so David who was a legend at our club didn’t deserve the flack they got in my opinion. 

I’d like to apologise completely to George Hirst and his father. 

I was wrong to criticise them the way I did. It’s become very apparent why they made the decision they did - and whether George goes on to fulfil his potential he definitely did the right thing by getting out. 

• Like 1

funnily enough was just about to gauge opinion on what the people who were angry about George Hirst feel now. 
this is a repetitive theme and the players who are leaving imo were never to blame. 

I hope people are changing their minds because both George and even more so David who was a legend at our club didn’t deserve the flack they got in my opinion. 

Nobody reflected themselves in a particularly good light as part of that saga to be fair. You can't think the year in Belgium was ideal for his career at that stage. 

2 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

I don't agree, Hirst wanted more money than 1st team players, so it's different. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think we fizzed up the Hirst situation and we've fizzed up this situation. Regardless of how Hirst has done since

Harsh lessons should have been learned the first time around, the same thing happening second and third times is just pure incompetency and negligence.

If this happened at a proper business, they'd be a root and stem investigation into the cause and policies put in place to make sure it doesn't happen again

• Like 1

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Are those players out of contract any good? 

Why are you trying to defend our brightest prospect in years and a boyhood Wednesday fan running down his contract which means the club won’t get a transfer fee from him? 

History is repeating just like with Hirst and just like with Clare.

Just like the fact the whole first team is not getting paid on time and is also out of contract while we’re fighting for our lives to stay in the division.

What are you trying to defend here? 

The club will get a fee for him and we will get a sell-on clause inserted, along with future solidarity payments for any transfer he makes before he turns 23. 

We offered him a deal, Celtic have offered him a better one. I fail to see how this is unprofessional. People are butthurt because we might be losing a decent prospect, but it's hardly unusual in football and we aren't the only club in this situation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Lots of assumptions?  It was only a few weeks back the kid was declaring his love for the club and was eager to sign. 

So what do you honestly think has gone wrong, given everything we know about the club and how DC operates ? 

Ever heard a player not declare their love of their current club? I'm sure Shaw does love Wednesday as he's supports us. But it's his career so he'll do whatever is best for that if he's got any sense.

Maybe at that time there was no interest from Celtic or anyone else so why wouldn't he want to get another contract with us.