Harry Pickering ... Why ??

2 minutes ago, John Howard said:

Wednesday have at present  Galvin .....looks a very good prospect 

Penney ..... experienced and untapped potential

Palmer .......experienced and at times looks better on the left rather than right .

Why are we prepared to pay money out for another left back WHEN it is obvious we desperately need a goal scorer . Typical misguided Wednesday transfer policy . However not sure there is one any more 

Palmer's a right back, I could do a job as good as Penney at left back and Galvin hasn't played a first team league game.

Edited by pazowl55
  • Like 5

Galvin has never started a league game in his life. Played well against Exeter. But definitely too young and inexperienced to make him 1st choice in a side fighting relegation. 

Matt Penney, with respect I just don’t think he’s as good as some believe. The fact he didn’t get a start over Glavin says it a lot. On top of that the only manager that seems to have half rated him was Jos and even under him he was nothing more than a squad player. 

Pickering is 23, highly rated and only costing around £500k. Seems the type of signing I see other clubs make and in 2/3 years he’s worth £5m. 

• Like 3

He'd potentially be a big improvement on our current full back options and he'd have resale value. Pickering is exactly the type of smart signing, we should have been making more of during the DC era, perhaps then we wouldn't be in the mess we've been in these past few years, after the play off near misses. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In the modern game, full back is a vitally important position and we desperately need a good left back. I havent seen Galvin play, so I cant comment. However, the cut and thrust of the Championship would lead me to think he isn't the answer this season. Penney hasnt been picked by four or five managers, there has to be a reason. Palmer has done ok, but he is limited in attack on the left and he is also prone to ball watching and lapses in concentration. We need a quality left back, no question.

Is this more important than a centre forward? I would say no. However, it does not diminish the impact a good leftback would have in improving our play, for example ball retention and quality of balls into the box.  

• Like 1

Monk, Pulis & Thompson have all seen Penney in training on a daily basis. The reason he's not getting picked above Galvin, Palmer, Van Aken etc & we're in the market for a new left back tells you all you need to know about Penney.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, John Howard said:

Palmer .......experienced and at times looks better on the left rather than right .

Why are we prepared to pay money out for another left back WHEN it is obvious we desperately need a goal scorer . Typical misguided Wednesday transfer policy . However not sure there is one any more 

Palmer struggles at right back his preferred side never mind left.

I agree with regards to Penney give the lad a chance but we still need cover and Pickering has more pace than him. Galvin never seen him but you can't compare an established first team player against against potential. Like comparing apples and oranges

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, John Howard said:

Palmer isn't a left back, regardless of if he can do a job.

Penney isn't a left back, he's a left midfielder who worked okay at LWB with 3 at back but struggles a lot in a flat back 4. Hence why he plays left wing for the u23s. 

So we have Galvin, whos very raw. 

Pickering has over 100 appearances already at the age of 22.

Surely a no brainer of a signing? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Al98 said:

Palmer isn't a left back, regardless of if he can do a job.

Penney isn't a left back, he's a left midfielder who worked okay at LWB with 3 at back but struggles a lot in a flat back 4. Hence why he plays left wing for the u23s. 

So we have Galvin, whos very raw. 

Pickering has over 100 appearances already at the age of 22.

Surely a no brainer of a signing? 🤷‍♂️

All of the above

young promising players with potential resale value but who are also better than what we've got, are the types of players we should be looking at

Pitch them in with experienced signings and a few of your own developing players and you start to build the basis of a good squad that can progress the club and make it money