Lucas Joao - windfall?

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

I hope no one is going to lament us selling him

He would never have performed like this while here. Sometimes players need a fresh start to kick on to their next level. I said at the time he would probably kick on when we sold him, but there is no way Lucas Joao would be this type of force if he were still here.

Probably not. But that says more about the club than Joao. 

He was clearly a talent with huge potential, but was poorly managed and never had a consistent run in a side that suited his game. That’s not with hindsight, I said the same the entire time he was here.

We stockpiled slow, plodding, immobile strikers and generally played slow plodding football.
Joao (and Nando) always looked as though they needed to play in a more dynamic attack minded team. We rarely offered that.

I always maintained those 2 were our best attacking partnership. Gutted we never gave them the chance to thrive. 

I know people will point to Joao’s attitude sometimes and say he didn’t take his chances when he played, but for me that’s testicles. He was often dropped even when he did play well and score goals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

We didn't replace him because we didn't ave any money to do so.

The sale was a last gasp panic to try and claw back some of our overspending when the horse had already bolted. We had to sell at that time and he was our only saleable asset.

The mistakes came much earlier when we had the chance to sell others for more and balance the books but we never did and continued to bring in players on high wages with no sell on value. 

Well yeah, exactly. No forward thinking or planning at this club. We react rather than do anything proactively.

Letting FF and Fletcher running down their contracts, selling Joao. And then having to scramble around for a replacement in the summer on the back of a 12 point points deduction 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

He was clearly a talent with huge potential, but was poorly managed and never had a consistent run in a side that suited his game. That’s not with hindsight, I said the same the entire time he was here.

We stockpiled slow, plodding, immobile strikers and generally played slow plodding football.
Joao (and Nando) always looked as though they needed to play in a more dynamic attack minded team. We rarely offered that.

I always maintained those 2 were our best attacking partnership. Gutted we never gave them the chance to thrive. 

I know people will point to Joao’s attitude sometimes and say he didn’t take his chances when he played, but for me that’s testicles. He was often dropped even when he did play well and score goals.

Completely agree

9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

That deduction was based on the accounts 2 years prior to the sale. Wait until you see the next 2! 

Genuinely dreading it

even  though the chairman says it’s great news coming up

Although for some reason he can’t tell us why they’re so late and haven’t been released 

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Genuinely dreading it

even  though the chairman says it’s great news coming up

Although for some reason he can’t tell us why they’re so late and haven’t been released 

Did he really say there will be great news regarding the forthcoming accounts?

:Chansiri:

Can't even second guess that.

3 hours ago, nethertonowl said:

First game back after 5 out , just scored his 15th of the season. 

Do we have a sell on clause?

Must be on the radar for bottom half premier clubs, and with going rate for Premier strikers being £20m plus , could £3-4m if DC added a clause?

557E2B14-B0C3-4AFB-9221-D24240B47DC0.jpeg.5ed2d9515f785af10766f5015f85470a.jpeg

15 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Agree 100% when we played three up front he looked the business.  

1 hour ago, Somebody said:

Like with Antonio, it was obvious to most.

Plenty on here were clamouring & frothing at  the mouth for the hapless Nuhiu to be in the starting line up instead of Joao.

It a why I always take the opinion of @Holmowl & @Lord Snooty , @DJMortimer & @@owlstalk  et al with a huge pinch of salt.

Happy New year Zedders!

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I wonder if next season we’re going to see Rhodes banging then in elsewhere again. Joao never stood out here yet is one of the best in the league now. The only striker who excelled here is Fletcher. We only give the strikers absolute scraps to feed off.. im convinced we could put Kane upfront and he’d struggle with no clever players like Son running around him

22 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Happy New year Zedders!

You know what's gutted me Snotty, is that I thought changing my name to Somebody, would get me at least one pm asking me why I'd negged their post, as the default is Somebody for the uncircumcised.

Not one ffs.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I wonder if next season we’re going to see Rhodes banging then in elsewhere again. Joao never stood out here yet is one of the best in the league now. The only striker who excelled here is Fletcher. We only give the strikers absolute scraps to feed off.. im convinced we could put Kane upfront and he’d struggle with no clever players like Son running around him

I don’t feel that way really. Rhodes may well do better elsewhere, but he has nowhere near the ability, or potential of Joao. While not wanting to knock what Fletcher achieved here, I think Joao was always the better player. Had Joao been given the game time that Fletcher enjoyed, we may well have seen more of what Reading fans are seeing now.

Joao clearly had potential, that’s why Reading bought him. It was then their job to turn him into a consistent player. They have done it successfully but could have gone other way. They gambled and won whereas we took the safe bet at the time and sold for profit, which was much needed at the time. I would have rather he stayed but understood why he was sold and am glad he’s doing well. 

I’m sure there will be a few Bob in it for us if Reading cash in but I am not sure they will flog him now. Promotion is the big prize and while they are in with a shout I can’t see it would be good business to let Joao go. 

37 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

He stood out like a shinning beacon