Lucas Joao - windfall?

He was a victim of Carlos’ chosen ones philosphy for most of his time here.

Finished the season under Jos, up front with Adthe and getting regular starts, on an absolute stormer.

I think we got a decent price for him, I’m sure there was a sell on clause mentioned at the time and it’s a shame but I think it was the best move for both parties.

Not surprised at all he’s come good though.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Agree 100%. I also think a lot of our fans just don’t have the patience for players like Joao. They’d always pick a Fletcher first (despite his limitations with pace, technical ability and goal threat), simply because he always gives his all and gets stuck in. 

Hence the clamour for Paterson when we were first linked

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

This. He would get dropped sometimes even after scoring and playing well.

I remember the 4-2 defeat against the pigs as an example. Came on, changed the game, scored, then was back on the bench for Birmingham in midweek. Which we also lost. 

People complained about his attitude and effort, but why should he give a throw when it didn’t matter how well he played, he’d still get dropped?
Ok we had other decent forwards, but it’s demoralising for a player. 

Exactly.

I know we needed the money when we sold him but out of the 7 strikers we had he was the one we should have kept and played. You could see it a mile off. The pigs example above is prime of what happened to him here.

Ironically the only time that was different to this was the end of season run under Jos where he had him and Nuhiu up top. He got a run then and scored goals, but this wasnt highlighted as Nuhiu went on his wonder run. But then again the beginning of the next season he found himself in the same position again.

5 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Exactly.

I know we needed the money when we sold him but out of the 7 strikers we had he was the one we should have kept and played. You could see it a mile off. The pigs example above is prime of what happened to him here.

Ironically the only time that was different to this was the end of season run under Jos where he had him and Nuhiu up top. He got a run then and scored goals, but this wasnt highlighted as Nuhiu went on his wonder run. But then again the beginning of the next season he found himself in the same position again.

The irony from us selling because we needed the money, is we ended up in the poo anyway. 

Just another example of how poorly run the club has been

• Like 1

17th of the season. SEVENTEENTH. We've been bemoaning our lack of a prolific goalscorer for the.best part of 25 years.

The management of our forwards since the signing of Fletcher has been shocking. 

Rhodes/Winnall. Probably didnt need either.

Fletcher, Forestieri, Joao and Nuhiu would all be guaranteed starters this season. 

We've signed Paterson, who despite his recent 'hot streak' is not a striker.

We've failed to get anything out of Rhodes - either financially or performance wise, since loaning him to Norwich.

We've now had Marriott forced back on us, despite his parent club completing with us for a relegation place. That tells you how highly.they rate him.

It's been a poo show of the highest order.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

17th of the season. SEVENTEENTH. We've been bemoaning our lack of a prolific goalscorer for the.best part of 25 years.

The management of our forwards since the signing of Fletcher has been shocking. 

Rhodes/Winnall. Probably didnt need either.

Fletcher, Forestieri, Joao and Nuhiu would all be guaranteed starters this season. 

We've signed Paterson, who despite his recent 'hot streak' is not a striker.

We've failed to get anything out of Rhodes - either financially or performance wise, since loaning him to Norwich.

We've now had Marriott forced back on us, despite his parent club completing with us for a relegation place. That tells you how highly.they rate him.

It's been a poo show of the highest order.

Joao had all the attributes to be an absolute force. As he’s showing now. Pace, power, skill and ability to finish.

We couldn’t get the best out of him which is a sad indictment of the football club. If we did we could have got double for what we sold him for. 

• Like 2

I can't say I'm surprised at how well he's done, but I also wouldn't have been surprised if he'd been a 5 goal a season player.  He always had ability and promise, and that several times while he was here, he appeared to have made a breakthrough and that he was going to show his ability on a consistent basis, but every time, he always dropped off.

As it was, he was a luxury player we could not afford,

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 04/01/2021 at 10:52, sonofbert2 said:

He was a victim of Carlos’ chosen ones philosphy for most of his time here.

Finished the season under Jos, up front with Adthe and getting regular starts, on an absolute stormer.

I think we got a decent price for him, I’m sure there was a sell on clause mentioned at the time and it’s a shame but I think it was the best move for both parties.

Not surprised at all he’s come good though.

When he first came we played very good attacking football with Stewart Grays team, a few big money signings (FF etc) in key areas and Carlo letting the team pick itself, which resulted in a joy to watch./ results.. However we started looking good for promotion and so Carlo (unfortunately) started implementing his negative tactics, which just didn't suit with his (and others) style of play, so rather than play through balls it was played back and the across the back line repeatedly until a wasteful long ball... So he just fell off the radar in terms of goals, as his runs were pointless and he wasn't a target man for long ball crap...  Then since Carlo we've just had increasingly negative tactics from the following managers due to their style or based on available players. So if he'd stayed with SWFC then he'd just have been the same player that we turned him into whereas if you've seen him at reading they are quick on the attack and putting the ball through for him at every opportunity, which he is capitalising on, as he did for us when we played like that... 

He was always the one you could see would be able to make the step up and still is. 
We got decent money and hopefully more when one of the big guns come in. 
Surprised Arsenal didn’t take a punt after he scored that hat trick and ran them ragged tbh. 
Ironic he’s fit again. Always seemed crocked here. 

Mebbe he's got better team mates now.

I don't mean better technically, particularly.

But maybe they have a good vibe in their dressing room.

No cliques or owt that can make a young lad feel left out .

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Always had the right attributes and potential. But, we got a good price for him and decent sell on fee (if reports to be believed) so still a good deal. 

We've been an overly defensive, negative team for years so no surprise that forwards dont thrive, particularly younger players learning their trade. 

Guest Willow Owl
4 hours ago, Hornsby said:

He was a victim of us being a shambles as a club.

Arsenal showed even the blind what he could do, with service.

Despite the obvious talent, it was more down to his lack of effort and application. He was given numerous opportunities but always flattered to deceive. 7 million ( including add ons) was a good deal for someone we could have lost for nothing the season after.

Suspect it’s more down to him maturing and realising it is up to him if he wants to succeed rather than being down to SWFC. 
20% sell on clause aswell

Guest wilyfox

We all knew Joao was capable of this if he got his shít together, which he clearly has now. No regrets though. We needed the money, and he said he wanted a new challenge. I just hope someone buys him for top dollar so we get the 20%.