Lucas Joao - windfall?

Is it me or do we seem to stifle strikers ?  

8 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

We have a 20% sell on clause in the Joao transfer Reference. The fee was £5million paid in instalments rising to £7million, still very good value at the time 

Shame we didn’t do the same for Antonio, but atleast were learning ey?

If you take some time to look at the goals he’s scored this season, they almost all come from his individual quality with very little to work with. Reading are a very average team and don’t actually creates that many goal scoring chances, Joao’s brilliant efficiency has pushed them up the table. We could very much use that resourcefulness in our squad. 

I agree but when he was with us he very rarely showed that ability 

makes me think it was either down to inexperience, the way that we played him or behind the scenes matters 

9 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

We have a 20% sell on clause in the Joao transfer Reference. The fee was £5million paid in instalments rising to £7million, still very good value at the time 

Shame we didn’t do the same for Antonio, but atleast were learning ey?

If you take some time to look at the goals he’s scored this season, they almost all come from his individual quality with very little to work with. Reading are a very average team and don’t actually creates that many goal scoring chances, Joao’s brilliant efficiency has pushed them up the table. We could very much use that resourcefulness in our squad. 

We did have a sell on fee with Antonio

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Dont' make me dig out all the times you all slated him whilst he was here

My favourite at the time he has all the attributes to be a top player in the premier. Anyone who watched him close could see spells of brilliance when he was ours, needed more game time and someone who believed in him, sadly Bruce left.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

Good second goal against Udders, wish he’d played like this when he was our player

He would’ve done had he been managed better. Carlos got something out of him then inexplicably dropped him and then Jos did something similar. Bruce never really used him?

Always thought he was a quality player but mental application let him down. Also, we had too many strikers at the club which wasn’t healthy at the time.

Both goals today showed how good he is. The second goal was pure quality in how he dragged the ball back to give him some space before rifling it home.

I was always a fan of big Lucas, never wanted him to leave.

He never got a long run in the side here with a squad brimming with strikers he was mostly on the bench,now hes showing what he could have shown here.

He used to get some right stick on these pages, due to his languid style, always criticised as lazy or didnt care enough or feigning injury.Theres a few choking on those opinions now!

Joao would never have been the player he's turned into at Reading here.

He's always had bags of potential and had plenty of time and opportunity to fulfill it, it just never happened. Sometimes players need to move to improve. It's just one of those things.

Obvs hope we have a sell on clause.

• Like 1

I hope no one is going to lament us selling him

He would never have performed like this while here. Sometimes players need a fresh start to kick on to their next level. I said at the time he would probably kick on when we sold him, but there is no way Lucas Joao would be this type of force if he were still here.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Dont' make me dig out all the times you all slated him whilst he was here

Comedy gold isn’t it. We are slated him at one point or another. I’d say all of us said ‘useless Joao’ at one point. He has talent but it was never going to work for him at this club, which is why I was delighted when we sold him 

Joao is a fantastic talent and I was gutted to see him go. But at least we made profit on him. 

He has individual brilliance and we sold him just going into his prime. I think you’ve got to ask the question why he didn’t realise his potential earlier in the years he was with us. Different managers, inconsistent team selections and about 10 strikers at the club certainly wouldn’t have helped. 

I wouldn’t be completely surprised to see him in a Wolves shirt this month. 

• Like 2

Selling Joao was never the problem:

The problem was and is that we haven’t replaced him with anyone with the same quality. Or anyone even near his quality.

And that’s not good enough in my opinion. A well run club would have sold a player like Joao and reinvested the money into someone with similar potential. See Brentford selling Watkins and replacing with Toney.

Might sound like a broken record moaning at the club, but it’s just another example of the poor club management over recent seasons.

• Like 3
  • Love 1