Lucas Joao - windfall?

17 hours ago, ashamanic said:

I can't say I'm surprised at how well he's done, but I also wouldn't have been surprised if he'd been a 5 goal a season player.  He always had ability and promise, and that several times while he was here, he appeared to have made a breakthrough and that he was going to show his ability on a consistent basis, but every time, he always dropped off.

As it was, he was a luxury player we could not afford,

I’d rather have a luxury player than the current crop of strikers.

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

We all knew Joao was capable of this if he got his shít together, which he clearly has now. No regrets though. We needed the money, and he said he wanted a new challenge. I just hope someone buys him for top dollar so we get the 20%.

We sold to sort out FFP. But still ended up with a points deduction and not owning the ground 

lol

If he continues his current form and finishes around that 25 goal mark I’m 90%  certain he will be sold. I imagine he’ll go within that £10-20 million range which would be a tidy little sum for us! He’s the type of player you could see West Ham or some newly promoted team taking a punt on...only to end up in the Portuguese league on loan 18 months later. 

Reading are not ready for the PL and the only chance they have of going up is if they fluke it. Sort of like this season, they aren’t a good team and having been playing that well but yet seem to still be in the top 6?! There league position is very deceiving, similar to us really only we can’t go much lower.

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’d rather have a luxury player than the current crop of strikers.

A luxury player is fine if he produces the goods,  Something Joao failed to do with any sort of consistency while with us. All in all a good deal for the club and a decent sell on fee.

Guest Hornsby
On 20/01/2021 at 16:11, Willow Owl said:

Despite the obvious talent, it was more down to his lack of effort and application. He was given numerous opportunities but always flattered to deceive. 7 million ( including add ons) was a good deal for someone we could have lost for nothing the season after.

Suspect it’s more down to him maturing and realising it is up to him if he wants to succeed rather than being down to SWFC. 
20% sell on clause aswell

First, it was £4.5 million plus add ons.

Secondly, he fits the profile perfectly for Doyen's now banned Third Party Investment Policy (TPI).

If so, club gets 2/3 of FA.

No doubt accounts, errr , will reveal all. 

On 20/01/2021 at 18:13, Willow Owl said:

A luxury player is fine if he produces the goods,  Something Joao failed to do with any sort of consistency while with us. All in all a good deal for the club and a decent sell on fee.

29 goals in 66 starts for us.

Yes, lots of sub appearances, but even so, a decent strike rate for a player who, certainly in his early seasons with us, was young and short of experience.

You are asking for consistency, but did we show him any consistency in terms of selecting him, letting him form any partnerships, and/ot playing him in his preferred position, rather than sticking him wide or giving him 15 minutes here and there? 

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

18 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Yes, lots of sub appearances, but even so, a decent strike rate for a player who, certainly in his early seasons with us, was young and short of experience.

You are asking for consistency, but did we show him any consistency in terms of selecting him, letting him form any partnerships, and/ot playing him in his preferred position, rather than sticking him wide or giving him 15 minutes here and there? 

His goals per minutes record has actually been impressive throughout his career

Guest Willow Owl
2 hours ago, Hornsby said:

First, it was £4.5 million plus add ons.

Secondly, he fits the profile perfectly for Doyen's now banned Third Party Investment Policy (TPI).

If so, club gets 2/3 of FA.

No doubt accounts, errr , will reveal all. 

Yeah, 7 million with add ons. As I said

Their is a 20% sell on clause, and there is no evidence of any third party ownership.

Our accounts are as rare as rocking horse S@&t. 

I liked Joao, Fletcher and Hooper. Our current striking options are nowhere near that level. However, if we can replace Fletcher with a younger more all round, Abraham or Brewster type of attacker to lead the line, then we'll see the best of the likes of Windass and our number 10's/wingers, whilst the likes of Hutchinson; Luongo, JP and Shaw can shield the defence, freeing up the likes of Bannan and Reach to create more for whoever leads the line upfront. 

Guest Willow Owl
2 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Stats can be misleading. His overall with us is 29 in 127 appearances. You have to break down how many goals he scored from starts and how many from the bench to get a true reflection. 

In my opinion he was given numerous chances under Carlos and other managers ( and was loaned out because he wasn’t performing). Stats below ( subjective as no info on subs apps ) Even so suggest he was given plenty of chances to establish himself. 

15/16  48 app / 8 goals

16/17  12 app/ 1 goal

16/17  13 app/ 3 goals Blackburn

17/18  34 app/ 9 goals

18/19  32 app/ 10 goals 

On his day he was unplayable, but those days were few and far between for us. Looks like the penny has dropped and he’s realised it’s up to him to achieve and realise his undoubted ability.

Shame he didn’t do it for us, but I still think we got a good deal at the time.

4 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Stats can be misleading. His overall with us is 29 in 127 appearances. You have to break down how many goals he scored from starts and how many from the bench to get a true reflection. 

In my opinion he was given numerous chances under Carlos and other managers ( and was loaned out because he wasn’t performing). Stats below ( subjective as no info on subs apps ) Even so suggest he was given plenty of chances to establish himself. 

15/16  48 app / 8 goals

16/17  12 app/ 1 goal

16/17  13 app/ 3 goals Blackburn

17/18  34 app/ 9 goals

18/19  32 app/ 10 goals 

On his day he was unplayable, but those days were few and far between for us. Looks like the penny has dropped and he’s realised it’s up to him to achieve and realise his undoubted ability.

Shame he didn’t do it for us, but I still think we got a good deal at the time.

That’s why goals per minutes is more accurate

Guest Hornsby
6 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Yeah, 7 million with add ons. As I said

Their is a 20% sell on clause, and there is no evidence of any third party ownership.

Our accounts are as rare as rocking horse S@&t. 

€5.4 million , says Transfermarket site so £4.5 million then.

Main point, Chansiri lost our club £20 million selling him. Shocking.

His goals per minute for us in his two latest seasons was outstanding. A goal every ~ 170 minutes for a non-penalty taker is superb.

Alongside Nuhiu he formed a formidable partnership.

Prior to that, inexplicably he dried up completely for over a full calendar year and became virtually unpickable. And it absolutely wasn’t lack of opportunity at that stage. He got a very decent run and was hopeless, and couldn’t possibly be picked ahead of our batch of strikers.

0B5E499F-9748-41BE-B7B1-F6323EA15C46.png

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

His goals per minute for us in his two latest seasons was outstanding. A goal every ~ 170 minutes for a non-penalty taker is superb.

Alongside Nuhiu he formed a formidable partnership.

Prior to that, inexplicably he dried up completely for over a full calendar year and became virtually unpickable. And it absolutely wasn’t lack of opportunity at that stage. He got a very decent run and was hopeless, and couldn’t possibly be picked ahead of our batch of strikers.

0B5E499F-9748-41BE-B7B1-F6323EA15C46.png

I can see why Reading signed him. Goal every 12 mins in the 19/20 season.

lol

• Haha 1

Guest Willow Owl
5 hours ago, deano said:

Goals per minute is obviously the most accurate reflection of a players goal scoring ability.

Agreed