How Do We Solve Our Goal Scoring Crisis

Jordon Rhodes is in his last year of contract which is a guarantee from January he will become a goal machine again like every other striker we have ending his contract and will in return bag a 7 years deal 

we need to manage strikers like we did JJ offer one year deals or attey but only offer 6 months deals because they come alive at the renewal stage 

We get shots in. They’re usually from outside the box. They get blocked or they miss. We get crosses in. They are too long, don’t beat first defender or not accurate enough for the few players we get in the box. Our approach play is too slow and deliberate so we are usually attacking a set defence.

we need to attack quicker and our strikers need more support from midfield. Our wide men need to spend more time practicing crossing but they need more people in the box to aim at.

we need more movement in and around the box to give players in possession a pass.

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Yeah but I don’t remember too many goals coming at the end of sweeping moves. Pulis’s teams have never been prolific, with most goals coming from high balls into the box, either directly, or indirectly, resulting from a scramble in the box. More prolific strikers require a more precise ball into the box. Unless Pulis is going to change his style of play, unlikely, then we will require a target man. It was clear to me that Paterson isn’t a target man, something Pulis has already acknowledged. Something else that could assist our quest for goals in the Pulis system, is extreme pace. Someone with that sort of searing pace can always turn an aimless punt up field into a goal scoring opportunity

As Pulis has already said he’ll taylor any system to suit the players he already has which is sensible. I don’t think we have a player capable of playing as a lone striker if TP feels Paterson is not a striker? So he has to go with two up top which for me would be Windass and Rhodes but I think long term he’ll be looking at different forward options? We do need more pace in the team than we currently have.

On 16/11/2020 at 19:10, Blue and white said:

Easy, play to Jordan Rhodes strengths, balls into the box, crosses into the box.

Feed the Rhodes and he will score and Pulis knows this.

On the money. 

Looking at the options with the forwards, be surprised if Pulis doesn't give Rhodes a run of games till at least New Year.

• Thanks 1

On 16/11/2020 at 19:10, Blue and white said:

Easy, play to Jordan Rhodes strengths, balls into the box, crosses into the box.

Feed the Rhodes and he will score and Pulis knows this.

Agree totally with your summary,up to the point where you start to talk about JR....why any manager would look to JR to be the one to end our 'goal drought' is beyond me..balls into the box,high pressing game,forcing defenders to give away corners or free kicks, leading to more goal scoring chances...is the way forward for me...

ROUTE ONE....no playing out from the back(when has it worked at S6 in recent Years? it has caused us nothing but trouble,we simply dont have the quality to make it work,end of...)

Sadly we dont really in my view have any ideal players(currently) to do route one either   Probably going to have to try to get Windass & Patterson working.....interesting to see how Pulis see's it.......

1 hour ago, fpowl said:

Jordon Rhodes is in his last year of contract which is a guarantee from January he will become a goal machine again like every other striker we have ending his contract and will in return bag a 7 years deal 

we need to manage strikers like we did JJ offer one year deals or attey but only offer 6 months deals because they come alive at the renewal stage 

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for JR to become a prolific striking machine,he wasn't in the Boro team when we bought him,and hasn't been a first choice striker in the main ,since being here....

I will not spend any money with,or at S6 until this player leaves,nothing personal against him at all,by all accounts he is a decent sort,but i will not contribute to his wages.(TBH i feel the same way about WW too,it remains to be seen if he proves me wrong.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jim said:

As Pulis has already said he’ll taylor any system to suit the players he already has which is sensible. I don’t think we have a player capable of playing as a lone striker if TP feels Paterson is not a striker? So he has to go with two up top which for me would be Windass and Rhodes but I think long term he’ll be looking at different forward options? We do need more pace in the team than we currently have.

He may say that, but the reality will be something different, I guarantee it. For example, in theory our strongest department is the midfield trio, so will we be seeing a pass and move style, using the likes of Brown and Bannan to create opportunities for the front players. If he does, great, but I just don’t see it. Given that the midfield is the strongest department, and we don’t have a target man, it makes sense to play it into feet. All the forwards we have would prefer the ball into feet, rather than the airborne route

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He may say that, but the reality will be something different, I guarantee it. For example, in theory our strongest department is the midfield trio, so will we be seeing a pass and move style, using the likes of Brown and Bannan to create opportunities for the front players. If he does, great, but I just don’t see it. Given that the midfield is the strongest department, and we don’t have a target man, it makes sense to play it into feet. All the forwards we have would prefer the ball into feet, rather than the airborne route

How many games have Brown and Bannan managed together ? Add Lunogo to that and yes the midfield on paper looks good, in reality its average at best as Brown and Lunogo will struggle to play 25 games each. The backup is a division2 standard defensive midfielder and various youngsters who aren't as yet upto the job.

• Like 1

For me it's all about partnerships all over the pitch.

It has been noticeable for me that we never achieve a settled line-up, I know injuries and fixture congestion doesn't help.

I think strike partnerships and CB partnerships in particular need time to gel and I don't believe I've seen any of that for quite some time.

If Pulis can decide on something and gets the chance to give it time without injuries I think it will begin to pay dividends.

The stat above, Rhodes has apparently been awful for us but if he really has got 1 goal every 187 minutes, that's a goal every other game. I don't believe he has ever had a consistent run to find some match fitness and form.

31 minutes ago, parajack said:

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for JR to become a prolific striking machine,he wasn't in the Boro team when we bought him,and hasn't been a first choice striker in the main ,since being here....

I will not spend any money with,or at S6 until this player leaves,nothing personal against him at all,by all accounts he is a decent sort,but i will not contribute to his wages.(TBH i feel the same way about WW too,it remains to be seen if he proves me wrong.)

That’s the spirit kidda 

I’m sure your stance will make all the difference to the future of Sheffield wednesday and your actions will be instrumental in future business decisions 

you go for it pal keep that money in your pocket abs follow your team via owlstalk that will show em 

1 hour ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

How many games have Brown and Bannan managed together ? Add Lunogo to that and yes the midfield on paper looks good, in reality its average at best as Brown and Lunogo will struggle to play 25 games each. The backup is a division2 standard defensive midfielder and various youngsters who aren't as yet upto the job.

Yes that much is true, and you could say the same about the defence However, we have to hope that things will change. If they don’t, then their is no solution, other than to bring in 11 new players

3 hours ago, fpowl said:

Are you seriously saying that they can just turn it on like a tap to get a contract ?

They are that good they can just start scoring for fun ?

"Ooh I could net this but I've got 2 years left so I'll scoop it over the bar "

"Why would I want to keep banging in goals in front of a packed kop "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Holmowl said:

But, is he more of an answer in the 12 games before the Transfer Window than Paterson, Windass, Marriott and Kachunga?

Thats the only question that matters until January. 

Not in my opinion but I will respect the choice of TP as he's the man.