How Do We Solve Our Goal Scoring Crisis

On 17/11/2020 at 14:43, asteener1867 said:

I think Fletcher or even Nuhiu would benefit under Pulis...I honestly don't see what Rhodes will bring...Is it a lack of crosses or a lack of movement?

I'm not convinced...We keep hoping, but the reality of the situation would speak to the fact it can't always be "Someone elses fault"

I paid close attention to Rhodes in those first few games, and his movement was exactly what you'd want from him. He's still making those great runs from behind the defenders shoulder, we just never looked for him. So I don't think the problem is with Rhodes.

I do wonder if it's the Rhodes "looks marked" to our wide men and so they don't put the ball in for him, when infact he's just making sure he has the march on the defender by making him pay attention to where Rhodes is rather than what teh ball is doing. It's something that should surely have been sorted out in training, but with how much of a fool Monk is, I'm really not sure he ever noticed it was an issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fpowl said:

That’s the spirit kidda 

I’m sure your stance will make all the difference to the future of Sheffield wednesday and your actions will be instrumental in future business decisions 

you go for it pal keep that money in your pocket abs follow your team via owlstalk that will show em 

You must be a legend in your own living room mate,if you imagine that poor piece of sarcasm is impressing anyone but yourself.With no Board of Directors to answer to, (or appeal to)no spectators to vent their disapproval or anger, there is little left to any Wednesday supporter to register their discontent,than at the 'paydesk'  (Ifollow or matchday/season ticket)

You are factually wrong by the way,if we look at similar unhappy situation's(Charlton being the one that springs to mind) it wasn't until organised fan protests evidenced by record low season ticket sales,was anything done to alleviate the alleged woefull goings on there.

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/17476884.charlton-fans-urged-boycott-season-tickets-card/

I dont say my 'protest' will change or achieve anything other than making me feel better...(no bad thing,in these times.)

.I have simply had enough of seeing people take alleged millions out of this Club,whilst not in my opinion delivering on the pitch...

Thus they will not see one penny from me until things change.I will continue to support my Club,watching when i can(pubs when they open) or via Local Radio.

At least by the way,i am taking my own stance,little point in shelling out money,to than come on here and bemoan eh?...

perhaps if more people (many have said similar,but we will see) did as i am,the  'sleeping giant' might take a bit more notice?..instead of paying out season after season to watch what many describe as ****

24 minutes ago, parajack said:

You must be a legend in your own living room mate,if you imagine that poor piece of sarcasm is impressing anyone but yourself.With no Board of Directors to answer to, (or appeal to)no spectators to vent their disapproval or anger, there is little left to any Wednesday supporter to register their discontent,than at the 'paydesk'  (Ifollow or matchday/season ticket)

You are factually wrong by the way,if we look at similar unhappy situation's(Charlton being the one that springs to mind) it wasn't until organised fan protests evidenced by record low season ticket sales,was anything done to alleviate the alleged woefull goings on there.

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/17476884.charlton-fans-urged-boycott-season-tickets-card/

I dont say my 'protest' will change or achieve anything other than making me feel better...(no bad thing,in these times.)

.I have simply had enough of seeing people take alleged millions out of this Club,whilst not in my opinion delivering on the pitch...

Thus they will not see one penny from me until things change.I will continue to support my Club,watching when i can(pubs when they open) or via Local Radio.

At least by the way,i am taking my own stance,little point in shelling out money,to than come on here and bemoan eh?...

perhaps if more people (many have said similar,but we will see) did as i am,the  'sleeping giant' might take a bit more notice?..instead of paying out season after season to watch what many describe as ****

Look through my old posts...

Always said Smith at Millwall 500,000

And Wells.Bristol city 2,000,000 would be perfect

And get us promoted,still think they would.easy..

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

I paid close attention to Rhodes in those first few games, and his movement was exactly what you'd want from him. He's still making those great runs from behind the defenders shoulder, we just never looked for him. So I don't think the problem is with Rhodes.

I do wonder if it's the Rhodes "looks marked" to our wide men and so they don't put the ball in for him, when infact he's just making sure he has the march on the defender by making him pay attention to where Rhodes is rather than what teh ball is doing. It's something that should surely have been sorted out in training, but with how much of a fool Monk is, I'm really not sure he ever noticed it was an issue.

Really?....not doubting you have watched him play,but are you really  suggesting we just haven't utilized the correct system to provide him with the right service?

Not seeing TBH..

1 hour ago, the monk said:

Are you seriously saying that they can just turn it on like a tap to get a contract ?

They are that good they can just start scoring for fun ?

"Ooh I could net this but I've got 2 years left so I'll scoop it over the bar "

"Why would I want to keep banging in goals in front of a packed kop "

Exactly.....pure 'once upon a time in a land far away,there lived a beautiful princess,just waiting for a handsome 'Prince Charming' to come and awake her....'   Panto season....JR will start banging in goals far fun,now his contract is coming to an end..'Ohhh  No he wont'...........

• Haha 1

I did say that whoever came into the job after Monk would still be faced with a strike force that can't score goals. I'll be surprised if Pulis has an answer to this. He's not known for working on strikers (see the Kitson interview). Nor is he known for getting bodies into the box. He's more about keeping a 'shape' and not conceding goals even if that means 4 defensive-minded defenders and two defensive-minded midfielders. 

I think instead his outlook will be to make sure we don't concede and to do loads of work on the training ground on making the most of set-pieces (with at least 3 or even 4 big defenders coming up from the back). Snaffling 2nd balls from set-pieces may be the best route to scoring for our strikers, rather than incisive through balls from open play.

Rhodes might do well out of this if Pulis (and the rest of us) can cope with the fact that he is so slow and so weak that he can't chase and win balls or hang on to balls or any of the other things strikers are now expected to do. It seems to me that when the ball goes to him the only way we can keep possession is if the referee falls for the way he tumbles forward when challenged.

But he's still the only player we have who knows where the net is.

Just now, davetherivelinowl said:

I did say that whoever came into the job after Monk would still be faced with a strike force that can't score goals. I'll be surprised if Pulis has an answer to this. He's not known for working on strikers (see the Kitson interview). Nor is he known for getting bodies into the box. He's more about keeping a 'shape' and not conceding goals even if that means 4 defensive-minded defenders and two defensive-minded midfielders. 

I think instead his outlook will be to make sure we don't concede and to do loads of work on the training ground on making the most of set-pieces (with at least 3 or even 4 big defenders coming up from the back). Snaffling 2nd balls from set-pieces may be the best route to scoring for our strikers, rather than incisive through balls from open play.

Rhodes might do well out of this if Pulis (and the rest of us) can cope with the fact that he is so slow and so weak that he can't chase and win balls or hang on to balls or any of the other things strikers are now expected to do. It seems to me that when the ball goes to him the only way we can keep possession is if the referee falls for the way he tumbles forward when challenged.

??  He did once,but has he still got it?...

9 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Good post. This sums it up for me, with what we have here at our disposal, assuming everyone will be fit, there is no obvious route to scoring goals. Factor in a manager not known for his creative approach, and the task is practically impossible. This summer’s recruitment has been a disaster. 
The group of forwards Monk assembled, does nobody any favours. They certainly won’t suit the approach usually favoured by Pulis. All the front players, I will discount Paterson because he isn’t a forward, Windass, Kachunga, Marriott, and Rhodes, although limited, all prefer the ball to feet. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t recall any Pulis team playing that way. It’s a similar story with the midfield, when fit, all are comfortable on the ball, and as midfields go, are one of the best passing trios in the division. Again wasted, in how Pulis normally sets up.

For me, and others, it shows that this appointment has not really been properly thought through 

I agree with you, I think the manager may try to set us up not to lose. His defensive organisation is his strongpoint, some may say his only useful tactic. If he can organise a solid back four from the many pieces he will have at his disposal, and perhaps disregard any plans to bypass the midfield, and instead utilise their passing, to keep the ball instead, he might be able to form a solid platform. I don’t see any mileage, with our current striking options, of getting the ball forward quickly. There is no one to hold it up, and nobody to run in behind. Plus, it negates, which on paper at least, is our strongest department, the midfield. Personally, given what we have, I’d play Harris and Reach out wide, in front of the full backs. If played on their correct flanks, they will give the full backs extra cover, thus making it hard for our opponents to use the wide areas to get at us. It won’t necessarily make us any more potent, but it does allow Harris and Reach to use their pace further up the pitch. Who then plays in the middle? Take your pick really, the system will be all about keeping it tight, not scoring goals. Perhaps Rhodes or Marriott, if only on the basis that they are more likely to nick us a goal, which is about the best we can hope for. The bottom line here is, until January, there is really little Pulis can do to make us any more potent

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cookeh said:

Spot in, Rhodes movement is as good as its always been. The supply on the other hand.

29 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Spot in, Rhodes movement is as good as its always been. The supply on the other hand.

Agree on supply,it has been dire for long enough,but Rhodes was once a lethal striker,and is in my view an alleged pale shadow of his former self..I dont see Pulis or anyone else changing that(though i would be delighted if they did)

I dont see him myself long term being utilised as anything but an 'impact' sub...IF he impresses in training,its possible Pulis will give him a look,but he simply wont have the luxury of any doubledip losses..

Get the ball into the box and Rhodes is our best chance of a goal.

However he obviously won’t score them all so if you are only getting a few balls in there like we have been he is still going to struggle.

Also he needs to build some sort of relationship with the guy putting the crosses in.

If we had played Reach left hand side and Rhodes up front every game this season we would have scored more goals than we have 

• Like 1

On 16/11/2020 at 19:22, matthefish2002 said:

Think Pulis works on the percentages. Get more crosses in and more set pieces which are practiced endlessly in training.

Have a feeling Jordan Rhodes is not a Tony Pulis type striker as not really hard working.

Jordan Rhodes must be in his last chance saloon now to do anything at Wednesday.

Well he's had 5 different managers now and the one common theme is that he's a spent force ......time to get rid 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Watto said:

Well he's had 5 different managers now and the one common theme is that he's a spent force ......time to get rid 

Judging him in 16/17 and 17/18 you are right.

Judging him on the last two and a bit seasons you are way off. 

A goal every 180 minutes since August 2018 is so far ahead of our other 4 options that he is out of sight.

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

Rhodes will be used under Pulis.

He’s strangely a threat in the air for a player that you could never use as a target man. Plenty of his goals have come from set pieces, which Pulis is really going to utilise.

I expect Rhodes to play as the lone striker 

8 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I expect Rhodes to play as the lone striker 

Sneaking feeling you are right.

Marriott is carp and the other three aren’t strikers.

I’d be very tempted to try Rhodes-Windass but I’d totally understand if Pulis decides he’s only got one proper striker. Fortunately Rhodes’ injury records is spotless. Hope that’s still the case at S6 and at 30+.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Judging him in 16/17 and 17/18 you are right.

Judging him on the last two and a bit seasons you are way off. 

A goal every 180 minutes since August 2018 is so far ahead of our other 4 options that he is out of sight.

He isnt way off mate,Rhodes is not going to get us out of the hole we are in,& TBH if we gamble with him by the time we find out (again) it hasn't worked we will be relegated..

Is that a gamble worth taking?

58 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Sneaking feeling you are right.

Marriott is carp and the other three aren’t strikers.

I’d be very tempted to try Rhodes-Windass but I’d totally understand if Pulis decides he’s only got one proper striker. Fortunately Rhodes’ injury records is spotless. Hope that’s still the case at S6 and at 30+.

JR as a lone striker is a disaster in the making,not pacey in my view,not commanding,and ineffective in that role....what possible reason could there be for such?

Windass would be my choice if he goes for one up front,though that wouldnt be ideal either...442 for me..Windass & Marriot or Windass & Katchunga  Reach on the left,Harris on the right