How Do We Solve Our Goal Scoring Crisis

3 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

His Boro team scored 49 goals in 46 games in his full season there. 

Although funnily enough hardly any were from set pieces which is in stark contrast to when he was at WBA.

In 321 games as a Premier League boss his sides scored 319 goals and 157 were from set-pieces.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sorry-numbers-behind-middlesbroughs-shocking-16197691.amp

On 17/11/2020 at 06:24, TrickyTrev said:

If only we had a striker at the club with a proven track record of scoring goals at this level....

David Nugent: 121 goals in 412 appearances*

Ross McCormack: 120 goals in 333 appearances

Billy Sharp: 114 goals in 322 appearances*

Jordan Rhodes: 108 goals in 286 appearances*

Daryl Murphy: 93 goals in 329 appearances*

Chris Martin: 93 goals in 343 appearances*

Lewis Grabban: 91 goals in 215 appearances*

Darius Henderson: 87 goals in 270 appearances

Dexter Blackstock: 84 goals in 342 appearances

Danny Graham: 82 goals in 257 appearances*

How far do you want to go back? Thing is with historical stats, they don’t tell you who’s in form and scoring right now. 

Grabban is the only consistent one that’s scoring in today’s game at championship level 

To score goals, we need to create chances and we don’t do enough of this.

As for whether our current strikers are good enough, well it’s hard to say until you see them missing 3, 4 or more chances in a match. At the moment they’re lucky to miss 1 or 2.

When chances are at a premium it needs top drawer strikers to take them and ours aren’t. Rhodes was good enough once and he may come good again but he needs time to find his feet and he’s never had that here. Monk in particular would dangle a carrot and take it away and eat it before Jordan got anywhere near.

If I was Pulis I would find a way of getting Bannan further up the pitch regularly and have my best crossers of the ball out wide whether it be as wing-backs or wingers. I’d also pick my best two strikers and give them a run of at least 6-10 games (availability permitting) before considering making any change. This may work, it may not but I think it’d be worth a try?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jim said:

As for whether our current strikers are good enough, well it’s hard to say until you see them missing 3, 4 or more chances in a match. At the moment they’re lucky to miss 1 or 2.

When chances are at a premium it needs top drawer strikers to take them and ours aren’t. Rhodes was good enough once and he may come good again but he needs time to find his feet and he’s never had that here. Monk in particular would dangle a carrot and take it away and eat it before Jordan got anywhere near.

If I was Pulis I would find a way of getting Bannan further up the pitch regularly and have my best crossers of the ball out wide whether it be as wing-backs or wingers. I’d also pick my best two strikers and give them a run of at least 6-10 games (availability permitting) before considering making any change. This may work, it may not but I think it’d be worth a try?

If we play the 3-4-2-1 formation that Pulis played in his last job, we do have a few suitable attacking midfield players that could play in behind whoever plays upfront. Bannan could possibly be pushed up into an attacking midfield position?

Brown, Windass and Paterson could suit that role too. The other day after Pulis' first training session, he said he only had two fit strikers. Perhaps he see's Windass leading the line, which might give Bannan a chance to claim one of those attacking midfield positions? It was also telling that, he didn't think Paterson was a striker, which could provide us with another attacking midfield option, that could get into the box.

Until Pulis brings in some of his own players or as a fully available squad, he might consider playing 3-4-2-1. With an emphasis on defensive solidity and midfield runners. 

• Like 1

WE NEED A BIT OF THIS AT S6...TP MIGHT JUST GET THEM THINKING OF WINNING GAMES, IT'S MAINLY IN THE HEAD.

Bill Shankley quotes:

"If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just pop it in the net and we'll discuss your options afterwards." (To Ian St John)

"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple."

"Yes Roger Hunt misses a few, but he gets in the right place to miss them." (Talking to a reporter about Roger Hunt)

“I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”

“If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain an advantage, then he should be.”

first thing he needs to do is pick a front 2 and tell them they have the games between now and January to nail down a place

stop changing the front 2 every game and let them develop a partnership

the only partnership that even looked like working this season was Windass and Rhodes. Let Windass run the channels and do all the leg work and just tell Rhodes to get in the box, use whatever instinct he has left and get on the end of the limited chances we can create

Rhodes might be a lot of things but i'd like to bet he would have at least hit the target with the chance Kerchunga  missed against Millwall

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim said:

Yeah but I don’t remember too many goals coming at the end of sweeping moves. Pulis’s teams have never been prolific, with most goals coming from high balls into the box, either directly, or indirectly, resulting from a scramble in the box. More prolific strikers require a more precise ball into the box. Unless Pulis is going to change his style of play, unlikely, then we will require a target man. It was clear to me that Paterson isn’t a target man, something Pulis has already acknowledged. Something else that could assist our quest for goals in the Pulis system, is extreme pace. Someone with that sort of searing pace can always turn an aimless punt up field into a goal scoring opportunity

On 16/11/2020 at 19:10, Blue and white said:

Easy, play to Jordan Rhodes strengths, balls into the box, crosses into the box.

Feed the Rhodes and he will score and Pulis knows this.

Play strikers up front instead of midfielders job sorted. 

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Play 442

Odubajo and Penney as full backs that like to get forward.

Reach/Harris and Bannan playing wide and get crosses in the box.

Play our two actual strikers up front (Rhodes and Windass) until we can get better ones in.

At Stoke and elsewhere I don’t think Pulis favoured attacking full backs. He liked a lump of a centre back quite often. At Boro I believe he often played 3-4-2-1.