It is time

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I think if you want to progress as a football club you don't employ a manager who's never finished higher than mid-table then expect him to get you promoted

Why was Monk hired in the first place, has he's never got any team promoted during his managerial career? We're no longer a club in the promotion race. We've got a hell of a job of merely staying in the division thanks to DC and his appointment of Monk.  I don't think any right minded Wednesday fan expects promotion any time soon, unless you mean back from the third tier? 

To have any chance of stabilising and progressing on and off the pitch, Monk has to go. The results since last Christmas speak for themselves and DC needs to bring in some experienced footballing minded people to help with the running of the club. 

• Love 1

11 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Seems to me, that many are suggesting taking a similar short term approach to staying in the division, as we first took to getting promoted from it Won’t it always then be a case of what happens next? More change, more upheaval?

I don't think it necessarily has to be a case of get someone in to save us and then someone in to get us up. 

If we get someone in who can save us and they create a solid unit, where everyone knows their jobs, are well versed in what we're doing and get us to safety then there's no reason thst same manager can't then go about improving again and taking it to the next stage. 

But we're getting ahead of ourselves here. 

First we need results. Starting Saturday. And if Monk is still here, which I suspect he will be then I hope he bloody gets one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'd go for Cook.  

He's a record of promotion. And whilst promotion is not on the cards for us what we do need this season is promotion form to motor us out of this swamp of a relegation battle. 

He's built teams. Cohesive units , and he's built them with average budgets and shrewd signings. 

At 54 he's old enough to know what's what. He's played through the leagues as a player and has coached and managed at a level where your job is to prize the very best you can from average talent.

He won the league at a cantor when he was at Chesterfield (and got them to the play offs the following year I think, but stand to be corrected.

He achieved another promotion at Pompey and of course a promotion with Wigan. And despite some bantering on here we all know that he took them on a tremendous run last season which would have kept them up if it hadn't been for some absolute crookery behind the scenes from the club owners and their pals. 

At 54 he's been around and knows the game. But is still young enough to be filled with a passion and desire and drive which we need. 

A nice combination of hunger tempered with experience. 

He available , and I genuinly think he'd jump at the chance. Wednesday would be an opportunity for him to achieve even more in his career and I'm sure he'd be well aware of that. 

I'd have him here in a heartbeat and I'm almost 100% certain he'd come. 

I'd be sounding him out as we speak.

Spot on and well said Snoots.  

What I like about him is that Cook has done it the hard way.  Worked his way up from the bottom and proved himself both as a player and as a manager.  All he's lacking now is promotion to the Premier League on his CV.  Also the fact he has succeeded at multiple clubs, shows me that he has a winning formula.  Tried and tested, there's no denying that. 

I also like that he will have a wealth of knowledge of players in the lower leagues, something we may have to consider going forwards. 

I really hope we get him in.  

The club needs a lift big time.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't need all the badges in the world to be a manager, don't really need to be that knowledgeable about football. What you need to be able to do is manage people and know w where your own weaknesses are and employ people who have their strengths where your weaknesses are. 

I always thing Sir Clive Woodward was one of the best managers in any sport and he worked along similar lines, even when he was at Southampton FC for a short time but he butted heads with big characters such as Redknapp where they couldn't all see this style of management. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Spot on and well said Snoots.  

What I like about him is that Cook has done it the hard way.  Worked his way up from the bottom and proved himself both as a player and as a manager.  All he's lacking now is promotion to the Premier League on his CV.  Also the fact he has succeeded at multiple clubs, shows me that he has a winning formula.  Tried and tested, there's no denying that. 

I also like that he will have a wealth of knowledge of players in the lower leagues, something we may have to consider going forwards. 

I really hope we get him in.  

The club needs a lift big time.  

Whenever I've seen him interviewed too he has an intensity, a drive to do well. He builds teams where ever one knows their job.

I know I keep saying that,  and its one of the most basic fundamentals of successful football but we see it so many times (not just at wednesday) where constant disruptions and changes to tactics, style and personell hamper a teams aspirations.  

The club is a mess off the pitch , Wednesday are like a great ship being tossed by the storm of FFP, whilst EFL lightning flashes and worrying ground sales rumble and crack like thunder as we lurch about with little anyone can do to stop it outside of the owner. 

But on the pitch is a different matter...the playing side of the club is like a lifeboat , there we can sort things out. And the best way to do that is to have an able sailor to give the players a playing stability and vision that they can all climb on board with. All hands to the oars.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Brilliant two part plan here.

1.  Sack one of the few managers to survive in this league with a points deduction

2.  Replace him with the manager who got relegated with a points deduction last season.

At what stage of the season did Wigan forfeit their points?

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I have tried to be reasonable. 

We're in an unprecedented situation:

-12 points.

A staggering wage bill which needed slashing. 

A money mismanagement situation meaning we're back to signing other teams cast-offs.

A manager who had been working on his own for most of his spell here.

A seemingly never ended run of injuries which seem to have haunted us for the past 5 years regardless of who the manager was.

I try to legislate for that when I'm angry. To reason with myself and not let emotion get the better of me.

I tell myself that Steve Bruce just the other year stated it would take a minimum of 4 windows and that our manager has had one window.

I tell myself that teams don't click straight away. Sometimes it can be a process of time before a team gels. Like any work places when people move to a new town a new city. Have new colleagues and managers.

I tell myself that even playing at our very, very best this squad is a mid table championship team. Being built with players from other mid table Championship teams.

I tell myself that without the -12 deduction I'd have considered a 12th placed finished a good return.

I tell myself that with the -12 deduction then one place above the drop zone would be a good result.

Before I fly off the handle I remind myself of things.

Remind myself that this is the market we're shopping in.

Remind myself that sacking people costs money we don't have.

Remind myself that in football, anything can happen.

Remind myself we're in an absolute mess of epic proportions. Much of which has nothing to do with the manager.

However.

The same thing is true of many clubs in the division. In the League.

What we have to do is make the best of what we've got. Aye, even if that does mean getting the best out of this group, of Rhodes, and Pelupessy, and Marriot and Harris.

We don't have much choice.

And we're simply not doing that.

For all that is wrong the one thing that is no different here than it is at Barcelona or Bayern Munich, or Hallam FC and Club.

Players can be brought to the best of their potential (whatever that level is) and we simply aren't doing that. 

I thank Monk. I do. For he's had, in many ways a thankless task. 

But modern management seems to be about clip boards and and drills.

And I think we lover look that we're dealing with human beings. 

I want a change. I want someone who might not be a great tactical innovator. Who might not have badges coming out of his ears. Who probably has never won a cup but someone who has that ingredient so badly overlooked in football. The ability to judge characters, and get the best out of them. And yes, get the best out of this limited group, because these are the players we've got. I'm not going to moan about them. They're ours.

But they can do better. Even the whipping boys. The ones who look shorn of confidence. They can do better with the right man. The right motivation.

I didn't want Garry Monk to start with. Said he was a spiv I didn't want. 

It was a cheap line. 

But once he was here I got behind him. Backed him to the hilt. 

Have continued to. Until you've been in there the pressure cannot be known to the outside.

But it's time for a changes.

Because as bad as the situation is.

As average as the squad maybe.

They are capable of much more than we have seen of late and we need someone to ignite that.

This is no knee jerk reaction. 

It's time for a change.

It's time for a change to save this season.

Act now Wednesday.

Act now before it's too late.

We need a leader of men who the players would die for.

What a good post. 

Couldnt agree more 

• Like 1

Said it a few weeks ago, I wanted him to succeed and to give him a fair chance. 

But there just aren’t any positives, no glimmers of light, signs of improvement, nothing. What’s more it feels like it’s regressing.

Theres an air of inevitability about it all, we are headed blindly towards the abyss, peddle to the metal.

He never really stood a chance and It may not be entirely fair, but go he must.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Brilliant two part plan here.

1.  Sack one of the few managers to survive in this league with a points deduction

2.  Replace him with the manager who got relegated with a points deduction last season.

Do you think Monks doing a good job?

• Like 1

Just now, Buxtongent said:

Avoid the 'big names', and look towards the lower or even non-league clubs for a younger man tryijng to make a name for himself, who knows how to manage men.

that would go down well if we  got frickley's manager ......

13 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

-12 points.

A money mismanagement situation meaning we're back to signing other teams cast-offs.

A seemingly never ended run of injuries which seem to have haunted us for the past 5 years regardless of who the manager was.

I try to legislate for that when I'm angry. To reason with myself and not let emotion get the better of me.

I tell myself that Steve Bruce just the other year stated it would take a minimum of 4 windows and that our manager has had one window.

I tell myself that teams don't click straight away. Sometimes it can be a process of time before a team gels. Like any work places when people move to a new town a new city. Have new colleagues and managers.

I tell myself that even playing at our very, very best this squad is a mid table championship team. Being built with players from other mid table Championship teams.

I tell myself that without the -12 deduction I'd have considered a 12th placed finished a good return.

I tell myself that with the -12 deduction then one place above the drop zone would be a good result.

Remind myself we're in an absolute mess of epic proportions. Much of which has nothing to do with the manager.

However.

What we have to do is make the best of what we've got. Aye, even if that does mean getting the best out of this group, of Rhodes, and Pelupessy, and Marriot and Harris.

For all that is wrong the one thing that is no different here than it is at Barcelona or Bayern Munich, or Hallam FC and Club.

Players can be brought to the best of their potential (whatever that level is) and we simply aren't doing that. 

I want a change. I want someone who might not be a great tactical innovator. Who might not have badges coming out of his ears. Who probably has never won a cup but someone who has that ingredient so badly overlooked in football. The ability to judge characters, and get the best out of them. And yes, get the best out of this limited group, because these are the players we've got. I'm not going to moan about them. They're ours.

But they can do better. Even the whipping boys. The ones who look shorn of confidence. They can do better with the right man. The right motivation.

It was a cheap line. 

Have continued to. Until you've been in there the pressure cannot be known to the outside.

They are capable of much more than we have seen of late and we need someone to ignite that.

It's time for a change.

Act now Wednesday.

Skipped all apart from the last 4 lines so it's a yes from me. 

• Haha 1

Getting the right manager is the most crucial of appointments.

Carlos was right, bruce was right.

The others were abysmal.

Look at uriah, i cant stand his mugged off face, but look what he did with nothing.

Same with bielsa, turned the same squad into champions.

I disagree with this idea that constantly changing a manager  is bad.. dem pigs changed and changed until they got the right one.

A good manager will get the best out of their players and be tactically savvy.

Sadly monk is just another run of the mill guy. We need a good strong manager 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

-12 points.

However.

It was a cheap line. 

It's time for a change.

Act now Wednesday.

I'm filling up. Much as I've tried to believe in Monk I think you're right

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hirstys Salopettes said:

We need somebody whose name can be preceded by big 

or somebody fat 

or somebody with anger issues 

or preferably somebody with all three attributes 

Evans above (this last bits a joke) 

I've just sent in my CV I'll let you know if I hear anything back 😁

• Haha 2

Garry Monk handed the gig at Swansea after Laudrup built a quality team and getting them to a cup final and into Europe-monk sacked less than a year later due to poor results 

Garry Monk appointed Leeds manager, sacked after one season 

Need 2 wins from the last 10 games to get a playoff place, failed to get in the playoffs

Garry Monk, appointed Middlesbrough manager, has one the highest budgets in the league, signs overpayed wasters, finished up midtable 

Garry Monk appointed Sheffield Wednesday manager, took a team from 3rd last season to a team that currently has 6 wins in nearly a full year, the worst home record since the 1970s and a ppg record only worse than 2 managers ever 

Yet, Paul Cook is deemed a failure for Wigan chairman getting them relegated, had they not got the 12 point punishment they'd had finished above Wednesday, who again was 3rd at Christmas. 

• Thanks 1