It is time

15 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I have a van available next Tuesday mate. 

Bring Hargreaves and some other big units with you.

We really need to make sure he's intimidated into doing what we want   respectfully persuaded to get the right man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don’t know why but I get the feeling something is happening in the background. Monk’s not a quitter but just something about last night’s post-March reaction hinted about the end of the road here for him? Saying he couldn’t answer questions about his future when in the past he’s been bullish about going nowhere?

• Like 2

Similar appointment needed to what Boro did last season with Warnock. 

I’ve criticised the club for constantly looking short term rather than long term. However this season I think it’s acceptable to look not look beyond this season. Dropping into L1 under the current climate could be catastrophic. Staying up is imperative. 

Mick McCarthy has managed at international level, proved he can work on a budget. Won titles at Sunderland and Wolves at this level (I know it’s a while ago). His reputation has taken a hit after Ipswich but he had them overachieving every year! They dropped like a stone the second he left, they didn’t have a clue how well he was doing until he left! We won’t find someone more experienced at this level. Perfect appointment till the end of the season and then reassess from there. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 0114 said:

Similar appointment needed to what Boro did last season with Warnock. 

I’ve criticised the club for constantly looking short term rather than long term. However this season I think it’s acceptable to look not look beyond this season. Dropping into L1 under the current climate could be catastrophic. Staying up is imperative. 

Mick McCarthy has managed at international level, proved he can work on a budget. Won titles at Sunderland and Wolves at this level (I know it’s a while ago). His reputation has taken a hit after Ipswich but he had them overachieving every year! They dropped like a stone the second he left, they didn’t have a clue how well he was doing until he left! We won’t find someone more experienced at this level. Perfect appointment till the end of the season and then reassess from there. 

Agreed. I’d draft McCarthy in as a fire fighter. Would he work under DC though? Not too sure myself.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Agreed. I’d draft McCarthy in as a fire fighter. Would he work under DC though? Not too sure myself.

I think he’d relish a challenge. Similar way to how Warnock did at Rotherham and Boro. 

He was linked with us in 2018 before Jos was sacked. He was even asked about it and didn’t exactly say no. 

He did the build up yesterday to Luton v Forest! Said he was delighted Hughton now has a job because he will get a look in for one now. Top guy. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Don't think he'd be interested in the slightest. Lives down south, why would be want to relocate for a 6 month contract to a team on minus points, no money to spend and on a hiding to nothing other than to taint his reputation.

1 minute ago, striker said:

Don't think he'd be interested in the slightest. Lives down south, why would be want to relocate for a 6 month contract to a team on minus points, no money to spend and on a hiding to nothing other than to taint his reputation.

He might find a spell back on his home turf attractive. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Interesting view.

Generally I would go for a long term appointment - someone young, smart, ambitious, conversant in the latest coaching methods and tactical thinking who could demonstrate constant improvement and lay down a plan looking 3-4 seasons ahead.

The Sergeant Major type of manager really doesn't float my boat. But looking at where we are now I wonder whether that might be the better bet. Someone who can organise, drill and motivate the players, and who can who won't over elaborate tactically - round pegs in round holes and each players role and responsibility clearly communicated.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

FIVE POINT STRATEGY for everyone in this thread

1. NOT employing a manager who's never finished higher than mid-table to manage our football club
  2. For people NOT to jump on a manager name bandwagon and keep calling for him to come when they don't know his real record, the facts, the stats and are just doing it because everyone else seems to be
  3. Understand that changing the manager statistically makes no difference to a football club in terms of turning things around so changing the manager might not make the slightest bit of difference
  4. That on many occasions a struggling manager is simply a symptom of something bigger/worse happening at a football club going rotten
  5. That Chansiri needs as much/MORE attention than Monk does right now

None of the above will happen though as people like to bow and scrape and doff their caps to Chansiri, and would rather just ignore the reality, look at the forum, see a managers name that is being called for that sounds cool so jump on the bandwagon and start posting it themselves.

All whilst ignoring the bigger picture and the fact that our squad is a Sunday League squad, we have just bought a player with a double broken leg with metal pins in his leg and yet he's somehow passed a medical?

Etc tec

1. That's a poor argument really, as other's have already pointed out, it's what we need right now or it's looking like League 1 and also it hasn't stopped other managers before improving and being successful from those kinda records/stats.
  2. Yeah, I accept some people probably do that, but aren't those people entitled to do so? Some people do know the facts ect. So you can't bracket people under the term "bandwagon" for saying certain managers names. When you don't know what people know. 
  3. So what should we do then? Stick with monk and just hope? I don't know what else we could do? It's either stick with monk and we improve massively and are safe/things carry on and get worse and we get relegated or sack monk and take a chance on another manager improving us or not. I would say changing manager has better chances of survival. So I would go with that option.
  4. I agree, but sometimes the manager doesn't help himself in those situations.
  5. I agree again, but changing our manager is more easy and realistic then changing our owner at the current time. That's why he's getting more attention.

Wanting a manager is not "to bow and scrape and doff their cap to Chansiri" it just goes to my point 5.

Most people aren't ignoring the bigger picture. We just can't change the whole squad, but we can change the manager ect. The squad isn't very good/has no depth, but Sunday League? If I recall correctly, weren't you at the start of the season raving about the players monk was bringing in ect.? Also I believe the squad would fair better under a manager who know what he's doing/wanted. Finally I agree on broken leg, we could have maybe got Venâncio back or got someone else in.

Just now, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Interesting view.

Generally I would go for a long term appointment - someone young, smart, ambitious, conversant in the latest coaching methods and tactical thinking who could demonstrate constant improvement and lay down a plan looking 3-4 seasons ahead.

The Sergeant Major type of manager really doesn't float my boat. But looking at where we are now I wonder whether that might be the better bet. Someone who can organise, drill and motivate the players, and who can who won't over elaborate tactically - round pegs in round holes and each players role and responsibility clearly communicated.

Ideally that’s what the club should have done in 2015. Spend money more reasonably. Build a team over a few years, rather than spending the lot from 2015-2017 and now we are paying the heavy price. 

Right now we can’t plan ahead. Situation changes dependant on being a L1 or Champ side. Right now we need someone to come in, simplify, organise and get results as quick as possible and reassess where we are in the summer. Hence why I think Mick is a good shout, we need someone who knows the league inside out, knows how to get results at this level and has previously proven he can do what’s being asked. Mick ticks all 3 boxes for me. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

He might find a spell back on his home turf attractive. 

Maybe, don't get me wrong McCarthy is a very good manager and a top bloke. I knew him through work back in the day but lost touch. He was proud of his Barnsley routes, but always had good things to say about us as he knew I was a fan. A very honourable man, but also settled down south as I recall and not absolutely sure he would want to be seen as a stop gap. He is doing media work now, seems happy with that and has been away from day to day league management for a while. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I think if you want to progress as a football club you don't employ a manager who's never finished higher than mid-table then expect him to get you promoted

The way Monk is going about the job, we'll need to get promoted from League One. We're in relegation form ever since last Christmas, with or without a points deduction. We're no longer a top half side or let alone a mid table side. We're a lower half side on course for relegation.

Monk isn't the man to get us out of this mess, he's exasperated the situation caused by DC and he's outperforming Jos has one of our worst managers in modern times. We need someone who can motivate our squad with their rock bottom confidence into fighting for every point we can get.

We're in a relegation scrap not a promotion race. With little or no fight, like we're showing with Monk, we'll be down even without a points deduction. 

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I have tried to be reasonable. 

We're in an unprecedented situation:

-12 points.

A staggering wage bill which needed slashing. 

A money mismanagement situation meaning we're back to signing other teams cast-offs.

A manager who had been working on his own for most of his spell here.

A seemingly never ended run of injuries which seem to have haunted us for the past 5 years regardless of who the manager was.

I try to legislate for that when I'm angry. To reason with myself and not let emotion get the better of me.

I tell myself that Steve Bruce just the other year stated it would take a minimum of 4 windows and that our manager has had one window.

I tell myself that teams don't click straight away. Sometimes it can be a process of time before a team gels. Like any work places when people move to a new town a new city. Have new colleagues and managers.

I tell myself that even playing at our very, very best this squad is a mid table championship team. Being built with players from other mid table Championship teams.

I tell myself that without the -12 deduction I'd have considered a 12th placed finished a good return.

I tell myself that with the -12 deduction then one place above the drop zone would be a good result.

Before I fly off the handle I remind myself of things.

Remind myself that this is the market we're shopping in.

Remind myself that sacking people costs money we don't have.

Remind myself that in football, anything can happen.

Remind myself we're in an absolute mess of epic proportions. Much of which has nothing to do with the manager.

However.

The same thing is true of many clubs in the division. In the League.

What we have to do is make the best of what we've got. Aye, even if that does mean getting the best out of this group, of Rhodes, and Pelupessy, and Marriot and Harris.

We don't have much choice.

And we're simply not doing that.

For all that is wrong the one thing that is no different here than it is at Barcelona or Bayern Munich, or Hallam FC and Club.

Players can be brought to the best of their potential (whatever that level is) and we simply aren't doing that. 

I thank Monk. I do. For he's had, in many ways a thankless task. 

But modern management seems to be about clip boards and and drills.

And I think we lover look that we're dealing with human beings. 

I want a change. I want someone who might not be a great tactical innovator. Who might not have badges coming out of his ears. Who probably has never won a cup but someone who has that ingredient so badly overlooked in football. The ability to judge characters, and get the best out of them. And yes, get the best out of this limited group, because these are the players we've got. I'm not going to moan about them. They're ours.

But they can do better. Even the whipping boys. The ones who look shorn of confidence. They can do better with the right man. The right motivation.

I didn't want Garry Monk to start with. Said he was a spiv I didn't want. 

It was a cheap line. 

But once he was here I got behind him. Backed him to the hilt. 

Have continued to. Until you've been in there the pressure cannot be known to the outside.

But it's time for a changes.

Because as bad as the situation is.

As average as the squad maybe.

They are capable of much more than we have seen of late and we need someone to ignite that.

This is no knee jerk reaction. 

It's time for a change.

It's time for a change to save this season.

Act now Wednesday.

Act now before it's too late.

We need a leader of men who the players would die for.

Possibly the most dramatic thing I've read on here 

Whilst I agree in sentiment to most posters today, I’d proffer that unless we get the strategic management and vision change, we’ll be back in an identical situation this time next year with (whoever is appointed) the next manager.
Last night, the United at home 2-4 debacle and Wednesday v Oxford  0-1 (11/11/72, my first game) are as low as I’ve felt about football.

WE DESERVE BETTER!

UTO

image.jpeg.d83eb4fe5564ae9dcdcfbe07de6f9ca9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

BUT

He's never finished higher than midtable in the Championship

Alex Ferguson had never won the League Championship. Wilder had never got a team promoted from Div 3 never mind Div 2. Howard Wilkinson had never won the League Championship etc etc etc.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Just now, rickygoo said:

Alex Ferguson had never won the League Championship. Wilder had never got a team promoted from Div 3 never mind Div 2. Howard Wilkinson had never won the League Championship etc etc etc.

I'm afraid the argument is like applying for a job where the requirement is a 25-30 year-old person with at least 20 years of experience.

• Haha 2

When a manager fails like Monk has failed - he keeps failing. 100% he will not turn this around and he knows it, we know it and the players know it.

One person on here is employing some magical thinking to think he will and no one else can do better.

A new manager comes in - It works maybe 50% of the time.

Carlos was better than Gray

Jos was worse than Carlos

Bruce was better than Jos

Monk is worse than Bruce

I know which choice I am going for.

Get him gone. 

• Love 1