It is time

3 hours ago, ramone said:

I ask you one question, what was Chris Wilders highest ever finish before he was hired by the other lot? And where is he now?

Paul cook is cut from the same cloth as him. An honest bloke who's teams play good football. He was on sky sports yesterday and the guy just oozes positivity. Which is a damn site more than what that clown we have in charge gives us at the moment. Wigan battered us twice at their place under him and he's also used to inspiring a team that's had points deduction. He did it far better than Monk did at Birmingham. 

Good to see you post again mate. Agree with your comments. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

As barmy as we are as a club there are plenty of managers who would still be very keen to come here.

Like the woman who takes on the bad boy thinking that she can be the one to tame him where other women have failed.

There will be good managers out there who would jump at the chance to manage this club.

• Like 2

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

As barmy as we are as a club there are plenty of managers who would still be very keen to come here.

Like the woman who takes on the bad boy thinking that she can be the one to tame him where other women have failed.

There will be good managers out there who would jump at the chance to manage this club.

they'll be loads that  would take the job coz they aint got one ........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Owlstalk yet again comments:

"Paul Cook has never finished any higher than Mid Table Champioship".

Well I have some news for you - nor had Wilder before he took SUFC to the Premier League and to the £150 million a year jackpot.

Cook like Wilder won promotions in the lower leagues which takes some doing.

Monk has of course won sweet fa.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

FIVE POINT STRATEGY for everyone in this thread

1. NOT employing a manager who's never finished higher than mid-table to manage our football club
  2. For people NOT to jump on a manager name bandwagon and keep calling for him to come when they don't know his real record, the facts, the stats and are just doing it because everyone else seems to be
  3. Understand that changing the manager statistically makes no difference to a football club in terms of turning things around so changing the manager might not make the slightest bit of difference
  4. That on many occasions a struggling manager is simply a symptom of something bigger/worse happening at a football club going rotten
  5. That Chansiri needs as much/MORE attention than Monk does right now

None of the above will happen though as people like to bow and scrape and doff their caps to Chansiri, and would rather just ignore the reality, look at the forum, see a managers name that is being called for that sounds cool so jump on the bandwagon and start posting it themselves.

All whilst ignoring the bigger picture and the fact that our squad is a Sunday League squad, we have just bought a player with a double broken leg with metal pins in his leg and yet he's somehow passed a medical?

Etc tec

Your reductio ad absurdum is getting really boring now 

• Love 1

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Paul Cook has never finished any higher than Mid Table 

Ever 

Brian Clough had never finished higher than mid-table in the second tier when he took over at Derby. Bill Shankly had never finished higher than mid table in the second tier when he took over at Liverpool. Alf Ramsey had never ..... oh you get the picture.
Fact is those gentlemen eventually did quite well. As have others. Therefore I don’t care how high Paul Cook has finished in the Championship, rather that he has demonstrated an ability to get good team performances out of average players. A trait we need now and will for some years to come. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

We have an average manager and average players.  If we had started on zero points, we would probably finish lower mid table.  With an average manager and average players, you get average returns, i.e. out of every three games you'd expect to return three to four points.  

We need a manager who can take advantage of the bonuses you get from fitness, organisation, tactics and leadership.  We need a manager that can squeeze that extra level of performance out of players so that they get performance ratings of 7+ each game rather than 5 or 6.  It's those little bits that make the difference between finishing on 45 points or 60 points.  

Monk is not the man to get the players playing above themselves.  No doubt, we will win some games with him in charge, but I doubt we have the mentality to claw back a twelve point deficit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Your reductio ad absurdum is getting really boring now 

It`s all very silly.......................he is perfectly entitled to think that Paul Cook ISN`T the right man , but i guess he is just feeling a wee bit foolish after showering Monk with praise this past year , even going as far as saying he is the best manager we have had in years.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

we are going down that 99% of us know , but losing 7million from tv money, having to pay back season ticket money , not owning ground , almost certain football might not have 4 leagues any more to say the future is bleak is putting it mildly . there is no billionaire out there buying football clubs and wont be for a very long time ,chansiri is the most stubborn man in football still takes all his advise from amadu paxio who decide to get carlos lump 100 million on contracts mostly for ageing pros on there last deals , not sort out our pathetic youth system which to say is failing is the  biggest understatement going . 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

We have an average manager and average players.  If we had started on zero points, we would probably finish lower mid table.  With an average manager and average players, you get average returns, i.e. out of every three games you'd expect to return three to four points.  

We need a manager who can take advantage of the bonuses you get from fitness, organisation, tactics and leadership.  We need a manager that can squeeze that extra level of performance out of players so that they get performance ratings of 7+ each game rather than 5 or 6.  It's those little bits that make the difference between finishing on 45 points or 60 points.  

Monk is not the man to get the players playing above themselves.  No doubt, we will win some games with him in charge, but I doubt we have the mentality to claw back a twelve point deficit.

if we started on zero points we might scape 40 points this season and be around bottom of the league .we have the worst home record in 153 years let that sink in. 

10 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I have tried to be reasonable. 

We're in an unprecedented situation:

-12 points.

A staggering wage bill which needed slashing. 

A money mismanagement situation meaning we're back to signing other teams cast-offs.

A manager who had been working on his own for most of his spell here.

A seemingly never ended run of injuries which seem to have haunted us for the past 5 years regardless of who the manager was.

I try to legislate for that when I'm angry. To reason with myself and not let emotion get the better of me.

I tell myself that Steve Bruce just the other year stated it would take a minimum of 4 windows and that our manager has had one window.

I tell myself that teams don't click straight away. Sometimes it can be a process of time before a team gels. Like any work places when people move to a new town a new city. Have new colleagues and managers.

I tell myself that even playing at our very, very best this squad is a mid table championship team. Being built with players from other mid table Championship teams.

I tell myself that without the -12 deduction I'd have considered a 12th placed finished a good return.

I tell myself that with the -12 deduction then one place above the drop zone would be a good result.

Before I fly off the handle I remind myself of things.

Remind myself that this is the market we're shopping in.

Remind myself that sacking people costs money we don't have.

Remind myself that in football, anything can happen.

Remind myself we're in an absolute mess of epic proportions. Much of which has nothing to do with the manager.

However.

The same thing is true of many clubs in the division. In the League.

What we have to do is make the best of what we've got. Aye, even if that does mean getting the best out of this group, of Rhodes, and Pelupessy, and Marriot and Harris.

We don't have much choice.

And we're simply not doing that.

For all that is wrong the one thing that is no different here than it is at Barcelona or Bayern Munich, or Hallam FC and Club.

Players can be brought to the best of their potential (whatever that level is) and we simply aren't doing that. 

I thank Monk. I do. For he's had, in many ways a thankless task. 

But modern management seems to be about clip boards and and drills.

And I think we lover look that we're dealing with human beings. 

I want a change. I want someone who might not be a great tactical innovator. Who might not have badges coming out of his ears. Who probably has never won a cup but someone who has that ingredient so badly overlooked in football. The ability to judge characters, and get the best out of them. And yes, get the best out of this limited group, because these are the players we've got. I'm not going to moan about them. They're ours.

But they can do better. Even the whipping boys. The ones who look shorn of confidence. They can do better with the right man. The right motivation.

I didn't want Garry Monk to start with. Said he was a spiv I didn't want. 

It was a cheap line. 

But once he was here I got behind him. Backed him to the hilt. 

Have continued to. Until you've been in there the pressure cannot be known to the outside.

But it's time for a changes.

Because as bad as the situation is.

As average as the squad maybe.

They are capable of much more than we have seen of late and we need someone to ignite that.

This is no knee jerk reaction. 

It's time for a change.

It's time for a change to save this season.

Act now Wednesday.

Act now before it's too late.

We need a leader of men who the players would die for.

Said with feeling Snoots! Who do you suggest?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 0114 said:

Similar appointment needed to what Boro did last season with Warnock. 

I’ve criticised the club for constantly looking short term rather than long term. However this season I think it’s acceptable to look not look beyond this season. Dropping into L1 under the current climate could be catastrophic. Staying up is imperative. 

Mick McCarthy has managed at international level, proved he can work on a budget. Won titles at Sunderland and Wolves at this level (I know it’s a while ago). His reputation has taken a hit after Ipswich but he had them overachieving every year! They dropped like a stone the second he left, they didn’t have a clue how well he was doing until he left! We won’t find someone more experienced at this level. Perfect appointment till the end of the season and then reassess from there. 

I bet Ipswich fans don’t agree with you!

6 hours ago, striker said:

Don't think he'd be interested in the slightest. Lives down south, why would be want to relocate for a 6 month contract to a team on minus points, no money to spend and on a hiding to nothing other than to taint his reputation.

Like Garry did you mean?

6 minutes ago, Elderly Owl said:

Said with feeling Snoots! Who do you suggest?

I'd go for Cook.  

He's a record of promotion. And whilst promotion is not on the cards for us what we do need this season is promotion form to motor us out of this swamp of a relegation battle. 

He's built teams. Cohesive units , and he's built them with average budgets and shrewd signings. 

At 54 he's old enough to know what's what. He's played through the leagues as a player and has coached and managed at a level where your job is to prize the very best you can from average talent.

He won the league at a cantor when he was at Chesterfield (and got them to the play offs the following year I think, but stand to be corrected.

He achieved another promotion at Pompey and of course a promotion with Wigan. And despite some bantering on here we all know that he took them on a tremendous run last season which would have kept them up if it hadn't been for some absolute crookery behind the scenes from the club owners and their pals. 

At 54 he's been around and knows the game. But is still young enough to be filled with a passion and desire and drive which we need. 

A nice combination of hunger tempered with experience. 

He available , and I genuinly think he'd jump at the chance. Wednesday would be an opportunity for him to achieve even more in his career and I'm sure he'd be well aware of that. 

I'd have him here in a heartbeat and I'm almost 100% certain he'd come. 

I'd be sounding him out as we speak.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, Elderly Owl said:

I bet Ipswich fans don’t agree with you!

Maybe not. But it’s hardly gone better for them following his departure. 

He took over a side 24th in the Championship with 1 win from 12. Guided them to 14th place. 

Proceeded to take them to the play offs on a shoe string budget. 

Had them as a mid table side despite constantly selling their best players. 

Always one of the most competitive teams in the division. 

@ Ipswich his record against ourselves was...

W 5

D 5

L 1

Then went down the year after he left as possibly one of the worst teams in Championship history.

His biggest problem at Ipswich was he was there too long and overachieved early on. It went stale, Ipswich aren’t better off for losing McCarthy!

• Like 1
  • Love 2