It is time

Guest whowantstoberich
2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

This sounds fair enough to me

Whos gonna be the one to appoint the new manager this time though?

Cmon, do you really need to look for a problem in every solution>? Be more positive

When Snooty says its time for a change you know it needs to happen.

One of the most positive posters on here and I'm sure he will have a matchday thread up that tries to give us some positives to focus on when Saturdays game comes around, regardless of what happens in the next couple of days - but when he has conceded the game is up - the game is up! 

42 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think if you want to progress as a football club you don't employ a manager who's never finished higher than mid-table then expect him to get you promoted

How the hell did Sheffield United get promoted out of this division with a modest squad and a manager who had never even got to this level when they appointed him, never mind finished above mid-table? 

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yep.

I've defended Monk against some of the irrational and excessive criticism he's had directed his way, but after a decent start to the season, we've completely imploded in these last couple of games. We simply can't afford to lose to our likely relegation rivals as we have done, and the performances were so abject that something needs to change.

I do feel that Monk's been dealt a bad hand trying to overcome our points deduction with the standard of squad we currently have, but we're better than we've shown in these games, and the lack of a coherent plan to compensate for the loss of key players is alarming.

Last night in the match thread, I posted the following, and I feel the same way this morning, having slept on it...

I'm seriously questioning my life choices right now.

I'm just thinking of all the other ways I could have spent my evening rather than subjecting myself to this sh*te.

This season was always going to be a long, hard slog, but the way we've crumbled in these last two matches is embarrassing.

We fans invest so much time and energy into this club, even during a pandemic which prevents us from attending games, but there's simply nothing to support here, is there?

I'm no longer going to arrange my Saturday around watching the Wycombe match - life's too short to waste worrying about this bunch. I'm going to take my son out somewhere for the afternoon and enjoy some family time rather than sitting at home stewing over a bunch of players who clearly care less about our club than I do.

Monk last night said these next 3 games are very important. I wonder if he has been told he has 3 games to save his job? For me that is 3 games to many. Even if we beat Wycombe it won’t change my mind, to much has happened and he needs to go. It would just be papering over the massive cracks. 

• Love 1

Bored of Monk, his style of football and his results.

Don't care if the next manager has managed in the Championship or the Redgates Sunday League, plenty of managers have gone to clubs in different scenarios and done well despite not having 'experience'.

Cook and Alexander are both out of work, would be cheap and have good records.

Appoint one, see what happens, almost past caring - never thought I'd say that.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Garry Monk has to leave Sheffield Wednesday. 
He is not a good coach. 
If he stays we will go down. 
If he is in charge through the whole season we won’t come back up next season either. 
However, the above is my opinion.

My opinion is worth nothing in this scenario. 
Only our owners opinion matters. 
If he still cares about Wednesday he will take action. 
If he doesn’t he will leave things as they are. 
Time will tell. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

BUT

He's never finished higher than midtable in the Championship

We ain't a mid table or above club at this level anymore. We're a lower half club, that needs play off form just to stay up. Monk turned a motivated effective group under Bruce into relegation certs bereft of confidence. We need to get rid ASAP and bring in someone like Snooty says, that can motivate and get more out of players.

Cook for example, got more out of Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan's players, got promotions and reached playoffs during his managerial career unlike Monk. Wigan would have also finished above us and mid table in 13th place without their points deduction for admin, that was only applied last season due to them being outside of the bottom three. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Seems to me, that many are suggesting taking a similar short term approach to staying in the division, as we first took to getting promoted from it Won’t it always then be a case of what happens next? More change, more upheaval?

The difference is we are now in a crisis situation. The wrong decisions now will lead to league 1 football next year and who knows what that will do to the future our club.

I'd very happily adopt a short term solution if if kept us in the division this year. We can put a long term solution in place when we dont have the imminent threat of relegation hanging over us.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Monk last night said these next 3 games are very important. I wonder if he has been told he has 3 games to save his job? For me that is 3 games to many. Even if we beat Wycombe it won’t change my mind, to much has happened and he needs to go. It would just be papering over the massive cracks. 

What happened to the last two games and Wycombe being very important or our last couple of games being a chance to get out of minus points? What happens after those next three games, another 3 important games? In our situation every game is important, we need points and wins, and we need to turn our home form around. Results and performances under Monk simply haven't been good enough ever since last Christmas. It's carried on into this season. Starting the season on minus 12 points, we can't afford to faff about. DC needs to get his head out of the sand and wake up to the seriousness of the situation. Relegation will be a disaster. DC simply has to act ASAP. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We need a manager who will put some pride back into the shirt, who will drop under performing payers such as Dawson, Bannan, Harris and not keep playing other players out of position what is the point of having a £40,000 a week striker who never plays.

For me Paul Cook should be the only name on the list. he has a good work ethic and also good relationships to get good players in on loan. Currently out of work and is a massive improvement on Monk.

After 8 games we are 10 points away from 4th bottom at this rate we won't be out the bottom 3 come January.

• Thanks 1

If Monk goes, new manager tries and fails to keep us up, God Forbid! We need someone who knows how to get us back up quickly. Someone whose done it before, we don't want to become another Sunderland.

PAUL COOK for me if Monk goes if he doesn't keep us up because of the 12 pts deduction, at least he will know by the end of the season who is up for the fight in league 1

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

FFS

You only pick the snippet - he has been crap in the first 8 games, he makes us so predicable. The hospital ball he gave Palmer last night was the definition of Bannan this season. He does have Fletcher to long ball it up front anymore and he is effectively useless in the role Monk is playing him in. Having to accommodate a midfield 3 mean we stick with the 3-5-2 that does not work.

1 minute ago, Elvin Parsnip said:

Eddie Howe for me - I understand it’s a bit unrealistic 

Not for me, doesnt strike me as a manager equipped for the kind of battle we are in

He is a step 2 manager who comes in after we have stabilized the club and can move us forward playing better football

We need step one to come in and fight us out of this mess

• Love 1