Positive signings at just the right time

28 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Got to be Sheridan like lanzarotte said. The whole team just gelled once he came and he was such an important player for us. It wasn’t that he was the best player in the side it was like fitting the final piece to an engine that not only made it work but made it purr like a Ferrari 

Can't help but feeling that even now we are "John Sheridan type of signing" from been good Championship side. 

• Like 1

Not sure that many of these names put forward live up to the premise of the original question, whilst most mentioned were excellent signings few of them lifted the spirits of the club at the time they signed for the club. 

Even the God like Sheridan was meet with mixed reception, was certainly a player with a good history but had failed to make an impact under Clough (to give him credit he did admit to being wrong about Sheridan).

The last player to actually lift the club on reputation only would have probably been Jordan Rhodes and that didn't turn out well. (Hopefully a slow burner.)

Someone mentioned Antonio but was that after a few games or when we signed him?  Definitely the best signing we made since we left the Premier anyway. 

So I would have to go back to Terry Curran who would fit the original question,  Carlos signings as a whole gave the club a lift but can't remember an actual signing who lifted the club maybe FF at a pinch.

Whittingham may be worth a 100 million but never in this universe, he was a willing worker and did a decent job.

• Like 1

Mentioned it in another thread, but I think we were rock bottom under Laws. We signed Michael Johnson and Graham Kavanagh on loan. Two experienced pros who lifted the place and got us moving up the table.

Remember quite vividly their debuts. We were like a new team, beat Hull 1-0 courtesy of a sweet Franny Jeffers curler. Two leaders who made a huge difference at the time.

That’s why you should never turn your nose up at a older players. 

35 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Even the God like Sheridan was meet with mixed reception, was certainly a player with a good history but had failed to make an impact under Clough (to give him credit he did admit to being wrong about Sheridan).

Sorry, but when/where he admited it? 

I only know that he asked why he signed him as he (was slow, couldn't tackle or head the ball). 

Burton and Tudgay spring to mind.

We were so bad in that 2005-2006 season. I’m sure the first half of the season we went 7 games without scoring or something. The only goal I remember us scoring was the Chris eagles free kick against Leeds.

Then I remember Burton signing in the January transfer window. I was a young teenager (13/14) and remember getting a bit giddy about it as he’d been smashing them in for Rotherham and I’d rarely seen a goal scorer in my short time supporting the club 

Then I think Tudgay came in (initially on loan?) and they immediately struck up a partnership.

Signing these 2 along with Carson kept us up that year