Positive signings at just the right time

15 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

John Sheridan. Got back off holiday, picked up a paper at Heathrow and he’d starred in a win whilst I was flying home. Could not believe that he had signed for Wednesday.

Before the interweb of course, so much better than the current protracted speculation on all the click bait websites.

I remember reading similar when we signed Jonk. Except we just lost a friendly to Birmingham and it didn’t get much better 

12 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Keith Treacy, and to some extent Nike Ranger. 

Only short term loans. Treacy came in and gave us the quality we needed to pip United to 2nd place in 2012. Ranger scored a couple of important goals too. 

Was it Jones who brought him here? 

I remember Jones said how honest Treacy was with him telling him how he as not 100% as he didn't want to let team down. 

Jones answered him to be sure to pack his left peg and he will be fine. 

Just what we needed at the time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, malek said:

Was it Jones who brought him here? 

I remember Jones said how honest Treacy was with him telling him how he as not 100% as he didn't want to let team down. 

Jones answered him to be sure to pack his left peg and he will be fine. 

Just what we needed at the time. 

It must have been, had a look when we got them and it was March 2012, think he'd just come in? 

Think Treacy is playing in the Irish league now. Always liked him, so glad when we got him! 

• Like 1

Di Canio was probably the one which gave me most optimism as I'd seen how he was doing at Celtic, wondered why he wasn't playing for Italy and thought if only we could sign him. Like someone else said pity how it all ended.

Off tangent a bit looking at two signings, although not thrilling when signed, only needed one game to see a massive impact on our performances. We were definitely struggling until we signed Nigel Pearson from Shrewsbury. I think it was not very long after playing them in a cup game. Immediately we were much more solid and results improved. Similarly under Megson when we signed Rob Jones our results improved.

Carlton Palmer second time around. We were going down with a whimper with no character in the side. Within 10 minutes of his first game at Hillsborough there was a 20 man brawl in the centre circle. 

• Like 1

As much as I loved sheridan. I'd moved to West Yorkshire when he signed , so whilst a few kids were raving about him, a few gave mixed reviews, so wasn't an emediate lift. 

For me the ones that stood out as proper signings was Carbone, at the time we never signed players from inter Milan. 

When di'Canio came in after his exploits up north was a mouth watering prospect alongside the little Italian magicician. 

You can't forget the coup of bringing in a quality proven international winger like waddle who played in my favourite England side, uncle Bobby's Italia  90' side. 

Or when we along with arsenal  broke up the fantastic strike partnership of bright & Wright at Palace. It gave us another great finisher to play alongside the then lethal Hirsty. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

‘Positive signings at just the right time’.

Two spring to mind for me:

1. Ken Knighton - provided the leadership and midfield ball-winning skills much needed at the time 

2. Mark Bright- cost a million pounds I think, but gave David Hirst great support from which he flourished.

6 hours ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

At the risk of being mocked... Steve Howard.

As soon as he came in we looked stronger as a side and didn't lose the ball to easily. And results picked up to boot.

Was never going to be a long term solution but I genuinely felt he made a difference.

He was quality. A dying breed of centre forward. We need that kind of player now 

9 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Eric McMordie

He was one I remembered.I was told at the time he turned up back at Hillsborough after his loan with his boots and said if you want me I'm here. He didn't want much  but we didn't any money to pay him.  We didn't take him up on it. We went down.

He'd been fantastic.