Positive signings at just the right time

The Abdi signing really lifted the mood on here at the time - many of us thought he'd be the missing piece of the jigsaw that would take us from playoff contenders to automatic promotion hopefuls.

I can't remember who the poster was with Watford connections at the time, but he was raving about him, suggesting that he'd easily make more of an impact on our team than Forestieri did.

I, along with many others, dared to believe we'd pulled off a real coup.

• Like 2

John Sheridan. Got back off holiday, picked up a paper at Heathrow and he’d starred in a win whilst I was flying home. Could not believe that he had signed for Wednesday.

Before the interweb of course, so much better than the current protracted speculation on all the click bait websites.

• Like 1

DI Canio for me..

He'd had a great season at Celtic when we signed him.. 

Just the expectation, and aura that surrounded him put you on tenterhooks.

Scored some brilliant and crucial goals - shame it all ended like it did.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Only what I seem to remember reading from somewhere, so I might be wrong, false memories and all that.  

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I put an effort in finding as much as I could regarding Sheridan - Clough "situation" and hoped you might had a quote 😇

9 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The Abdi signing really lifted the mood on here at the time - many of us thought he'd be the missing piece of the jigsaw that would take us from playoff contenders to automatic promotion hopefuls.

I can't remember who the poster was with Watford connections at the time, but he was raving about him, suggesting that he'd easily make more of an impact on our team than Forestieri did.

I, along with many others, dared to believe we'd pulled off a real coup.

I wasn't the poster, but at the time two business associates who support Watford, both rang me to tell me we had mugged them and he was going to be dynamite for us,  couple of weeks later went to a pre season against St Mirren (i think) Abdi scored and I thought we had a real gem, the rest we all know

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hedwig said:

DI Canio for me..

He'd had a great season at Celtic when we signed him.. 

Just the expectation, and aura that surrounded him put you on tenterhooks.

Scored some brilliant and crucial goals - shame it all ended like it did.

I remember being told he was class and wore gold boots 

Back in the bad old days of the late 60s / early 70s, the signing of Clements and Joicey both from Coventry IIRC.  They had a significant effect.  Clements in particular was a no nonsense player who gave his all.

Edited by Kevan
typo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bakewell Owl said:

I wasn't the poster, but at the time two business associates who support Watford, both rang me to tell me we had mugged them and he was going to be dynamite for us,  couple of weeks later went to a pre season against St Mirren (i think) Abdi scored and I thought we had a real gem, the rest we all know

I remember our opening goal against Villa, didn't do owt special but can't remember him giving the ball away once. Thought he was going to be magic for us. Must be one of our biggest disappointments.

• Like 1