Should Sheffield Wednesday pay £3Million for Jacob Murphy?

Should Sheffield Wednesday pay £3Million for Jacob Murphy?  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Should Sheffield Wednesday pay £3Million for Jacob Murphy?

• YES
    • NO

26 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Is that true ?

Not disputing it because I don't know, but it's the first I've heard that we start the 3 year period from scratch.

No i believe FFP is calculated through a rolling 3 year period so we don’t start again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the new world order, with any number of clubs in danger of folding for want of gate income, I don't think you pay £3m for Murphy.  In the olden days, pre-Covid, I don't think the price would have been excessive. In the here and now, you can probably pick up half a team of talented players for that.

There's also the question of would he want to come back and sign permanently??. 

If he did where does he fit in?? 

Wingback?? 

Striker?? 

The lads a winger and unless monk changes tact he's not really what we need right now. 

Thanks for last year and some good performances, but I wouldn't want to shell out that much on fee and wages to sign a player to play out of position. If we decided to change things up on occasions and go 433 then reach and Harris could drop in either side of a striker. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

1 hour ago, Quist said:

We have spent no real money for two years. Ground has been sold and with penalty all debts will have been neutralised by FFP. Hence can lose £39 million over next 3 years.

We have got rid of alot of rediculous wages and noww buying on more sensible way players who can be resold.

Covid means all teams will be losing money hand over fist. Hence rejig of rules will be possible.

Wednesday have huge fan base lots of whom live outside of Sheffield. Therefore with no fans at games number paying £10 to watch games will be much higher than many clubs. If we play well could be big winner for Wednesday with thousands regularly dialing in. Normally we get no income from away games so this will be significant boost to our funds.

Anybody any idea how many Wednesday fans dialled in to watch Cardiff game? 

Point is we are probably in a better positionto sign players.

Is that a maybe? 

1 hour ago, Hookowl said:

Is that true ?

Not disputing it because I don't know, but it's the first I've heard that we start the 3 year period from scratch.

Yes

Birmingham started a fesh when they received punishment. This isdocumented.

Unless you do this it would be unjust totry and punish in following years. The system is based over 3 years and once a penalty is imposed legally you can not use details again as punishing twice for same crime. Therefore process starts again they need another 3 years of accounts.. When someone promoted to division or relegated get 3 years before a punishment looked at as need 3 years accounts

35 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Should Wednesday pay 3 million for Murphy?

FWIW I think we will win the appeal.

Sorry I was trying to indicate we had money available and did not address question.

He is worth that sum and would not moan. He played for Newcastle in League Cup this week so may not be available.

Depends on wages I would not pay rediculous ones as they can hurt club. 

I think we are looking at several different options (defensive midfielder, left sided defender, wing back, and striker) and would not want us to compromise other deals by going over top in one when have options available. Think will be quite a bit of transfer activity before deadline

I ill go ith Monks judgement if he thinks he is worh cash ok if not happy to avoid.

I've not read all the thread. My view is he is great value at £3m. If he will take £20k p.w. wages I'd sign him if we can afford him without leaving ourselves short of money for the striker we need.

I suspect he will want higher wages and I've no idea how much wriggle room we have in the bubget. Despite our good start to the season we are unlikely to trouble the play off places this year so maybe we aren't in a rush to find the right players and we can find a good player cheaper elsewhere next year.

I'll sit on the fence despite thinking he is a fantastic buy at that money.