Should Sheffield Wednesday pay £3Million for Jacob Murphy?

Should Sheffield Wednesday pay £3Million for Jacob Murphy?  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Should Sheffield Wednesday pay £3Million for Jacob Murphy?

• YES
    • NO

12 minutes ago, prowl said:

I've not read all the thread. My view is he is great value at £3m. If he will take £20k p.w. wages I'd sign him if we can afford him without leaving ourselves short of money for the striker we need.

If he signed a four year deal, that would be a total commitment of £7m. In the last few months we have lost several experienced players and replaced them with a couple of youngsters, a loanee, two free transfers and paid one fee of about half a million. Unless I've misread the situation, this is not only a non-starter, it's several miles over the horizon.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

If we are willing to spend 3 million on a player personally I  would rather us spend that money on a striker. 

I agree although I would like him back, and rather us spend less on him if it was possible 

He isn't going to cost 3 million though, throw his wages in over a three year contract and it will be more than double that. As we have seen that is the sort of money we cannot afford and shouldn't even be thinking about.

If we could loan him for the year at a cost to us of no more than 10k per week I'd think differently.

1 hour ago, prowl said:

I've not read all the thread. My view is he is great value at £3m. If he will take £20k p.w. wages I'd sign him if we can afford him without leaving ourselves short of money for the striker we need.

I suspect he will want higher wages and I've no idea how much wriggle room we have in the bubget. Despite our good start to the season we are unlikely to trouble the play off places this year so maybe we aren't in a rush to find the right players and we can find a good player cheaper elsewhere next year.

I'll sit on the fence despite thinking he is a fantastic buy at that money.

"£3m. If he will take £20k p.w"

I'd sign him for that and play him in the front three. I think with his pace and in the new 343 formation he'll score goals for fun.

Two years ago it would have been a definite yes.

Now... I'm not quite sure if he's worth the outlay, given his inconsistency last season. We need players who fit exactly into our tactical system, not more square pegs in round holes.

He's a good player, and I wouldn't moan if we signed him, but I do wonder if what little cash we seem to be able to spend could be better utilised elsewhere.

Don’t think Newcastle will be getting 3million for him if he goes he will be going towards the end of the window or next between 1.5 - 2million 

I think if we could get him at that price on a 3-4 year deal we will get good value for him 

as much as people slate reach weve had a decent service out of him for his outlay there the gambles that sometime work and don’t 

Murphy will always be a club man by that I mean I can’t see anybody queuing up to pay big fees to get him out of a club so he’s a low end fee contract player 

all Newcastle are trying to do is recoup some of that daft fee they payed for him but he’s not that young kid with potential anymore 

Guest Mcguigan
On 17/09/2020 at 17:24, Quist said:

We have spent no real money for two years. Ground has been sold and with penalty all debts will have been neutralised by FFP. Hence can lose £39 million over next 3 years.

We have got rid of alot of rediculous wages and noww buying on more sensible way players who can be resold.

Covid means all teams will be losing money hand over fist. Hence rejig of rules will be possible.

Wednesday have huge fan base lots of whom live outside of Sheffield. Therefore with no fans at games number paying £10 to watch games will be much higher than many clubs. If we play well could be big winner for Wednesday with thousands regularly dialing in. Normally we get no income from away games so this will be significant boost to our funds.

Anybody any idea how many Wednesday fans dialled in to watch Cardiff game? 

Point is we are probably in a better positionto sign players.

I hope people don’t take you seriously.

On 18/09/2020 at 02:53, Rogers said:

His contract runs out sometime next year? He can start negotiating with clubs in January.  

If no one else is going to pay for him, loan him until his contract runs out. 

£3m is too step. 

do you mean two step?

Edited by Treborowl
fail