Stop it

15 hours ago, alanharper said:

I've never heard a Wednesday fan use it, I've only heard it from rivals who seem to think that it's some kind of scathing insult when it actually just makes them sound like 6 year olds.

If our younger generation have started using it as well, it's another sign, along with substituting the word "of" for "have" that our education system has gone right down the shítter. 

Agree with this.

To be honest I never use any slurs for rival teams. 

I always refer to our rivals at S2 as 'United'. 

As a 36 year old I can't bring myself to be using grunters, pigs, blunts etc. Just seems childish to me. 

But then again, I a miserable killjoy at the best of times 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's the modern way of idle pronunciation. Not even the BBC can be bothered to pronounce their words properly . At one time, the Southerners used to 'Beeb Engish' would often scoff at the 'Northern ' accent. . Now, poorly spoken English is not 'with it'.

I was brought up to say -Monday, Tuesday, Wensday, Thursday, Friday, Satday and Sunday, in true Northern style. Now , many words include extra 'r's and 's's . let lone the misuse of the letter 'Aitch'.

That great upholder of the English Language , the BBC, is so full of 'foreigners' that, like many traditions is dying out. If people can't be bothered to shout Up  the Wensday, please shout Up the OWLS.  

13 hours ago, poite said:

Agree with this.

To be honest I never use any slurs for rival teams. 

I always refer to our rivals at S2 as 'United'. 

As a 36 year old I can't bring myself to be using grunters, pigs, blunts etc. Just seems childish to me. 

But then again, I a miserable killjoy at the best of times 

The term "Pigs" goes way back to the late 19th century. It's historic, steeped in Sheffield culture and tradition, and far from childish.

I'm actually surprised you don't know it's heritage, but then maybe there are many who don't. That's not a dig btw.

The one thing I won't sing is "die die piggy", especially to Sharp. Personal choice due to personal circumstances, but I find that tasteless.

Edited by ChapSmurf

On 13/09/2020 at 15:53, DirtyLeedsOwl said:

Amount of Wednesday fans I’ve seen on social media referring to our club as ‘Wendy’ What the f**k???

If you’re one of those please do me a favour and stop it 😡

It! started as a Leeds thing. I think they referred to our kit as Tesco Bags as well.

They’re a breed apart.

57 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

The one thing I won't sing is "die die piggy", especially to Sharp. Personal choice due to personal circumstances, but I find that tasteless.

Every time I see a reference to that song, I think of that night at the Ricoh Arena when we'd sung it several times to Robert Page (if I remember correctly). And shortly after the game a couple of our fans were killed on the M6. I know the two events were not linked, and the chant is only in jest, but for me it brought into perspective the words being sung.

• Love 1