The loss of Steven Fletcher

5 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

12k a week we offered was a 70% reduction on his last contract..you dont think we wer goin to offer him the same terms do you

Sorry my mistake, I thought you were stating his previous deal was £12k per week.

2 hours ago, 0114 said:

We had one of the best defences in the division prior to Christmas. Steven Fletcher’s injury wasn’t the reason we became incapable of basic defending for the last 7 months. 

In all honesty when he was playing and we’d nicked a lead through him that we were defending he was one of the best defenders on the pitch 

There is no doubt that we will miss Fletcher, always gave his all for us, if he was 10 years younger it would be worth offering him a big contract as he would be a saleable asset. But at his age and Injury record the correct thing like Hooper was to offer him a much lower contract.

I don't understand those getting on his back he signed a contract and fulfilled his commitment, 

I don't think we have won him over like we did with some players like Waddle and we were just a stepping stone paying the best wages and for him it is move on to the next deal and there is nothing wrong with that.

Cant remember him kissing the badge or giving it the I love you, unlike FF who took us all for a ride.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

There is no doubt that we will miss Fletcher, always gave his all for us, if he was 10 years younger it would be worth offering him a big contract as he would be a saleable asset. But at his age and Injury record the correct thing like Hooper was to offer him a much lower contract.

I don't understand those getting on his back he signed a contract and fulfilled his commitment, 

I don't think we have won him over like we did with some players like Waddle and we were just a stepping stone paying the best wages and for him it is move on to the next deal and there is nothing wrong with that.

Cant remember him kissing the badge or giving it the I love you, unlike FF who took us all for a ride.

The big issue with the disgraced Steven Fletcher is his decision to sit on the sofa in July knowing we had a huge problem up front without him.  We needed one more month from him and he wouldnt do it.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

The big issue with the disgraced Steven Fletcher is his decision to sit on the sofa in July knowing we had a huge problem up front without him.  We needed one more month from him and he wouldnt do it.  

Two more games, not one more month.

His contract ended before the Fulham game.

4 hours ago, 0114 said:

We had one of the best defences in the division prior to Christmas. Steven Fletcher’s injury wasn’t the reason we became incapable of basic defending for the last 7 months. 

I'm not so sure. With Fletch on the pitch, when the ball was cleared upfield it always stuck with him and he held it up whilst the defense reorganised.

Without him the ball came straight back.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

I'm not so sure. With Fletch on the pitch, when the ball was cleared upfield it always stuck with him and he held it up whilst the defense reorganised.

Without him the ball came straight back.

He was very good at holding the ball up, he will be hard to replace but not impossible

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

Agree but with the style of football we were playing when he wasn't playing the ball was coming back a hell of a lot quicker than when he was playing.

I think it had something to do with a goalkeeper not good enough and Pelupessy in midfield "protecting" the defence!

Had my reply to this topic deleted so here is my second attempt without swear words,

Steven Fletcher what an absolute ************, "I want to finish my career at Wednesday" , ONLY IF I GET 

ANOTHER CONTRACT OTHERWISE I'M OFF, SEE YOU LATER.

feigned an injury.

The bloke turned out to be a fraud.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

He was ..12k a week by all accounts..and told us to stick it..hope hes waiting as long as hughton for his next club

Would you accept a 70% wage reduction to do the same job for the same company for 1 more year?

I know his age and the impact of the virus have to be taken into account but I am not surprised he thinks he can do better than £12K for a 1-year contract.

He also had the fact that he and the club knew that he was the only player consistently capable of giving us a chance of winning games over the past season

There was a very real threat at that time that he could have been signing up for League One football by extending with us as well.

I don't blame us for not offering him anything like what we have been paying him for the last 4 years but I can't blame him for turning down a 70% wage reduction if this is true either. 

2 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

With 35k or so a week freed up, we should be able to replace him and save money.

You'd hope so but you can't be sure with our transfer record.

I know it is harder to get players in during the winter transfer window but he got injured the first week in January and the prognosis was he would miss most of the rest of the season. We took the entire transfer window to secure another option up front and were only linked with 1 really - the one we ended up with - a Premier League striker on loan on big wages who was nowhere near fit at the time we signed him and still couldn't sustain the run of games we needed from him after having a 3-month break to get fit.